It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US says Israeli settlements are no longer illegal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:14 PM
link   
So first the Trump Admin decided to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital. Adding more fuel to the fire.
Now basically saying the settlements are not illegal. They just gave Israel the right to go ahead an annex whichever part of the Westbank they want.

Thoughts on this anyone?
LInk

edit on Tue Nov 19 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: edit to use source title

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DarkPalSFO

Does Israel need our permission to do what they were already doing and were going to do regardless of what the US says?

Does the US decide the law in Israel?

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I thought Israel took that land in the war in 1967 so it's theirs to do with what they want- including establishing settlements. If Palestine wants the land back maybe they should start a war with Israel and take it back? As far as I'm concerned what any US President (and goodness knows they've ALL had an opinion) thinks about the situation is redundant- not our circus, not our monkeys.

The US might have had a hand in the establishment of Israel as the Jewish homeland after WW2 and given them financial aid even currently but they (Israel) don't need anyone's permission to do anything- they are an independent nation with their own government who decides what they do and do not want to do.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

they are an independent nation with their own government who decides what they do and do not want to do.

Independent? probably not.
Who do think gave the Israelis the edge in Nuclear weaponry after WW2 and the agreement?
Most Western countries and America.

their own government who decides what they do and do not want to do.

If Israel is an independent nation, why does it keep begging Western Countries for financial aid that always come into billions?

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChefFox
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

they are an independent nation with their own government who decides what they do and do not want to do.

Independent? probably not.
Who do think gave the Israelis the edge in Nuclear weaponry after WW2 and the agreement?
Most Western countries and America.

their own government who decides what they do and do not want to do.

If Israel is an independent nation, why does it keep begging Western Countries for financial aid that always come into billions?

The majority of independent nations in the world beg for financial aid from Western countries. We shouldn't be giving money to any of them as long as we have homeless people, hungry people and sick people without healthcare in our own damn country.

As far as the nuclear stuff why we give stuff to Iran to develop their nuclear program under Obama? Same difference. We shouldn't be doing that or selling Uranium to Russia like Hillary did either- and yet here we are.
edit on 18-11-2019 by GeauxHomeYoureDrunk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the status of the West Bank was for Israelis and Palestinians to negotiate. Israel welcomed the move - a reversal of the US stance under President Donald Trump's predecessor, Barack Obama. Settlements are communities established by Israel on land occupied in the 1967 Middle East war.
from your link it seems they want the both of them to figure it out but there hasn't been major progress on the Palestinian/Israeli front as far as "peace plans" go for a while but a few efforts that tend to not go anywhere
as far as regional players go
syria cant do anything about it what with the multi faction battle royal civil war that has been going on so they are off the board so to speak and hell have been letting the isrelis bomb targets in country with relative impunity

egypt has not been raising much of a stink lately but that may be related to the Saudi/Egyptian/Israeli etc alliance and why egypt lets the IDAF bomb targets in gaza and other areas of Egypt

Iran still complains but them being involved with multiple proxy wars against the Saudis (yemen,forces in syria etc) so they have bigger fish to fry so to speak

UAE is mostly on saudi faction side and Jorden has relatively decent relations with Israel these days

Iraq had unrest for a while but is mostly busy with their own affairs

and the Kurds have been getting most of the attention in the region from the media but it seems most of the arab world has given up on the Palestinian issue

www.nytimes.com... cant quote this because paywal but it talks about little outrage over plans to annex the west bank from middle east on the settlement issue

www.latimes.com...

Reporting from Ramallah, West Bank — There has been no shortage of dramatic images from the Gaza Strip in recent weeks as Palestinian protesters have faced off against the Israeli military. Crowds of demonstrators rushing the border fence. Israeli soldiers using tear gas and live fire to keep them back. Funeral processions for more than 100 Palestinians who were shot to death. But one thing was in short supply: expressions of solidarity with the Palestinian cause from the Arab world. Arab governments were measured in their condemnations of both Israel, which suffered no loss of life in the clashes, and its most important ally, the United States, which escalated tensions by moving its embassy from Tel Aviv to the disputed capital of Jerusalem. Nor were there many street protests around the Middle East, with most of the criticism from ordinary Arabs limited to angry posts on Facebook and Twitter. “We felt somehow abandoned by the world,” said Nabil Shaath, a foreign affairs advisor to Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. “You expect that people and their governments would act more sharply.”
so they arent the "in group" as far as the oppressed muslim groups go what with the "re-education" camps in china and the Urghers(sp) and the kurds being the new media darlings

newrepublic.com... not just the west bank but Gaza too

Arab Leaders Have Abandoned Gaza, Too Middle Eastern autocrats are more interested in isolating Iran and punishing Hamas than defending the Palestinians.
so nothing likely to change any time soon let alone in our life times

www.wsj.com... middle east is more distracted by turky and iran at the moment to do much even if they wanted to seems the Israelis endured long enough for the groups against them to become fatigued or more distracted with other regional enemies ,again paywall so if any one subscribes and wants to quote it go for it

time.com... older time link on how its not even a big issue in local elections is Israel

The Palestinian Issue Used to Be a Major Factor in Israeli Elections. Here’s Why It Hasn’t Been This Time

www.newsweek.com... older news week article on how the Israelis pretty much already won

It was the end of Ramadan, a few days before Eid al-Fitr, a time of feasts and family. But the housewives shopping in a Gaza City market were buying just a few handfuls of vegetables and small pieces of meat. "Nobody can use their refrigerators," one vendor explains; the power is out for much of the day, and food spoils quickly here. It was the start of a typically harsh summer, with daytime temperatures in the 90s, and in one office after the next, politicians and professors apologized to visitors for the heat—their air conditioners were useless. After three wars and a decade-long military blockade, Gaza's nearly 2 million people are familiar with hardship. This summer's power crisis is merely the latest in a long list of shortages of everything from drinking water and cooking gas to cement and cars. But this time, one thing is different: The problem has been created by other Palestinians.

and as the only current peace deal ive seen is from trumps kid with no one else really pushing for a new plan i dont see much changing more so with the bulk of the middle east big guns distracted or otherwise apathetic ,and chinas vastly more ruthless camps getting the bulk of the media outrage (not even much really) seems they have lost the "plucky underdog" status they had enjoyed for years

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ChefFox

well the germans arm them with subs which give them second strike capibility for their nukes out of guilt from ww2 actions

on the nuke issue they are pretty ambiguous about them (the world knows they have them but they refuse to confirm or deny) but it seems their reactor was built by the french in exchange for help with Algeria against the Egyptians and thus helped them build dimona reactor to enrich plutonium but its rumored they did their tests with south african help (SA is the only power to get nukes and then give them up ,they didnt want the blacks to get the weapons after apartheid ended ) and alot of aid for said nuclear plant was raised by American financial big wigs

nationalinterest.org...
en.wikipedia.org... wiki page on the nuke issue

and Israel gets alot of aid from the west for a variety of reasons but one of the often over looked ones is how deeply they are embedded in western tech and industry www.tabletmag.com... they have ties to most western defense companies as well as Microsoft and other big tech companies

www.independent.co.uk... see these 218 companies

www.israel21c.org... then there are the companies who are lead by expat Israelis in the west (us is the focus of this link) they got big banks in Chicago and their postal service of allthings is in some kind of partnership with the swiss

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Israel can do what they want in the Middle East just like Egypt, Turkey and the Saudis. My only concern is that the U.S. avoid getting sucked into any conflicts. We are not or at least we should not be the world police.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ChefFox

Because only an idiot wouldn't get in line if somebody was giving away literally tons of money.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Have you ever wondered why the left and "real" nazi's are always targeting Israel and the Jewish people?

We have REAL genocide going on in China, Africa, and most of the Middle East but the Left's 100% focus is hating Israel.

Is the left boycotting China?

Have you ever thought "why" your hatred is focused on Israel and not the other "real" perpetrators of concentration camps and genocide?

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Israel is a sovereign nation. Neither the United States not Donald Trump can "legalize" anything Israel does. That's like saying that Mexico could, say, legalize noncitizens voting in US elections.

The world doesn't work that way. Educate yourself.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I read something once that I've quoted here before. Don't remember where it was or who said it:

Maybe we should stop thinking of it as Middle East violence and just think of it as Middle East culture.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Does Israel need our permission to do what they were already doing and were going to do regardless of what the US says?

Does the US decide the law in Israel?

Well, yah, coz like, Orange Man Bad...

He resposibile for eerything.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
I read something once that I've quoted here before. Don't remember where it was or who said it:

Maybe we should stop thinking of it as Middle East violence and just think of it as Middle East culture.

The culture is the son of the bonds woman shall forever be at enmity with son of promise.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarkPalSFO
So first the Trump Admin decided to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital. Adding more fuel to the fire.
Now basically saying the settlements are not illegal. They just gave Israel the right to go ahead an annex whichever part of the Westbank they want.

Thoughts on this anyone?
LInk

Every President from Regan onward has recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel . Not so sure about Carter.
Each , in their own turn , promised to move the embassy . Yet did not for security reasons.
Trump just fulfilled a 40 + year promise.

Denying ignorance
Why ?
This one was easy pickens

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Have you ever wondered why the left and "real" nazi's are always targeting Israel and the Jewish people?

We have REAL genocide going on in China, Africa, and most of the Middle East but the Left's 100% focus is hating Israel.

Is the left boycotting China?

Have you ever thought "why" your hatred is focused on Israel and not the other "real" perpetrators of concentration camps and genocide?

Real Nazi?

Is Israel an ethnostate? Yep they genetically test for citizenship!
Is Israel government nationalist? Yep look up Zionism.
Are they in the middle of ethnically cleansing? Yep Ignore a two state solution and pushing Palestinians off the land. Are they killing Palestinians and sterilizing Ethiopian women? Yep built a wall, use withholding drinking water as a means to punish, Use snipers to kill people changing a tire,shoot the knees out of Palestinian soccer players, bomb hospitals, kill Palestinian women and children And got caught sterilizing black jews.
Do they use propaganda? Yep I shouldn’t even need to detail this one.
Pass laws to hide their crimes? Yep journalist in Israel can be arrested for recording or taking photographs Of them killing Palestinians.

But holocaust denial makes you a real Nazi not the above mentioned.

Leftist? Wow I wonder who put them into the positions they are in? Don’t Jews themselves overwhelmingly vote Democrat and make up the bulk of political donations to the Democratic Party? It’s amazing how people are blind to the fact that they elect people like AOC, and the Muslims congresswoman who have a hate for white people and then use them to to be the face of criticism for Israel. I wonder why would they do that?

The other Jews that don’t vote leftist are neoconservative war hawks that have got us into these wars in the Middle East.

Prove me wrong- pro tip you cant

edit on 19-11-2019 by Veryolduser because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I thought Israel took that land in the war in 1967 so it's theirs to do with what they want- including establishing settlements. If Palestine wants the land back maybe they should start a war with Israel and take it back? As far as I'm concerned what any US President (and goodness knows they've ALL had an opinion) thinks about the situation is redundant- not our circus, not our monkeys.

The US might have had a hand in the establishment of Israel as the Jewish homeland after WW2 and given them financial aid even currently but they (Israel) don't need anyone's permission to do anything- they are an independent nation with their own government who decides what they do and do not want to do.

Hey GeauxHomeYoureDrunk: We are political and weaponry partners with them. And geographically speaking, they are a very small "island" surrounded by enemy factions. Their sovereignty exists, part and parcel, due to our support, and much of this has to do with OIL. My daughter spent 6 months on a kibbutz in Israel. and was raised in the Jewish faith, so my stating these facts has nothing to do with anti-semitism. The geographic realities of their true enemies is obvious, and this begs the question of just how independent they truly are. They. as a nation, depend on our support in every possible way.

Having pointed that out, no current or not so current US president has ever been so outrageously insensitive to that, at least, 2,000 year conflict. Trump basically wrote them a blank political check to do with what they will. And the point is, this is no way forward to peace or resolution to this age old conflict.
regards,
tetra

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: tetra50

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Hey GeauxHomeYoureDrunk: We are political and weaponry partners with them. And geographically speaking, they are a very small "island" surrounded by enemy factions. Their sovereignty exists, part and parcel, due to our support, and much of this has to do with OIL. My daughter spent 6 months on a kibbutz in Israel. and was raised in the Jewish faith, so my stating these facts has nothing to do with anti-semitism. The geographic realities of their true enemies is obvious, and this begs the question of just how independent they truly are. They. as a nation, depend on our support in every possible way.

Having pointed that out, no current or not so current US president has ever been so outrageously insensitive to that, at least, 2,000 year conflict. Trump basically wrote them a blank political check to do with what they will. And the point is, this is no way forward to peace or resolution to this age old conflict.
regards,
tetra

I know this question wasn’t directed at me but your response doesn’t make sense. First you state your not anti Semitic for a viewpoint that I don’t believe anyone would construe as negative in any way towards Jews and in all regards follows along Jewish talking points.

You not taking Geauxgohomeyourdrink point of view that it’s not our responsibility. I can only surmise you don’t believe a Jewish state that is nationist and an ethnostate is responsible for its own actions? Your reasoning is because they rely on us and are surrounded by enemies. So you believe it’s our responsibility to secure Israel’s sovereignty and that Israel isn’t responsible for its own actions in the region. Wow the mental gymnastics required to come to that conclusion must be extreme when you even sent your own daughter for military conscription. I could be wrong but 6 months is a strange amount of time.

In the past, men who moved to Israel — or made aliyah, as the process is called in Hebrew — were required to serve a minimum of six months in the Israeli army. Women were exempted from service if they arrived after the age of 20

Also we don’t care that trump allows Jerusalem to be the capital it’s not our problem how can on one hand you cheer this on and in the other say it’s hurting the peace negotiations when it’s your people pushing this.

Do you know what’s hurting the peace process? Not taking responsibility for your actions. It’s not the United States fault for giving into Israel’s wishes and it isn’t always the Muslims fault for negotiations breaking while you push illegal settlements into their land. Stop acting like a victim your not

Lol weaponry partners yes the kind that sells our secret stuff to China while we hand them 30 billion in foreign aid. The same people who stole our nuclear secrets in the 80’s with a spy so they could built nukes.Great partners! The same people who gave us the bogus intel on WMD in Iraq. The same people who lied about Syrian gas attacks and the same people claiming Iran is going to attack them at any moment.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Exact;y
Te real genocide in the ME and north Africa is taking place against the Christian, Yazidis, Zorastis, etc etc but the media totally ignores it in UK, just like the lefties in the the States. Israel treats it's population whatever the religion is universal first class citizens while every other state in that region is barbaric in comparison. The territories too are owned by Israel, they won em and as legal ownership is 9/10 of the law. Plenty of room for terrorists in other surrounding states, plenty of room in Israel for people of all religions when they aren't terrorists

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Because we have a front row seat here at home.

Illegal immigration is leading us to our very own Israel/Palestine conflict'.

Legal residents don't have any say. which were the 'jews' until the Ottoman's (muslim) invaded their country until their empire fell.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join