It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water sounds from laptop

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I tried searching for answers on the internet, but couldn't find anything related to my issue, so I figured I could ask here.

I was watching a video, and walked to the other room with my laptop open still playing the video. When I set the laptop down, it slipped out of my hand a little, not much, and hit the surface a little hard. Then suddenly there was sort of like a rushing water sound, like waterfall, rapids, babbling brook sound. It was like all those sounds together, hard to explain really. The video froze, and I shut the top immediately but it wouldn't go to sleep. I had to hold down the start button to hard shut down.

I let it sit about 10 minutes and when I turned it back on, it is fine.

Any ideas what caused this?

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Ellie Sagan

I would assume it is the noise of the video locking up and the sound probably went haywire. If the laptop seems fine after a hard boot then you are probably okay.

As long as you didn't let the smoke out you should be fine.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Something caught in the fan?

Or, since you were watching a video, could it have been the audio from the video that was looping/stuttering?

edit on 18/11/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Sounds like something with the fan.
My laptop is about 6 years old and when it starts up it sounds like it’s gonna explode because the fans so loud.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I don't think it was the fan, because it absolutely sounded like it was coming from the speakers, super loud too.

The video didn't have water sounds, but there was slight music playing. I will link to the video I was watching (at the risk of people rolling their eyes, hahaha) and the spot where it happened.

www.youtube.com... It froze at 8:57. That music in the background is nothing near what I heard.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Mechanical HDD or SSD ?
Some mechanical drives have that shock protection that basically shuts down the drive if the laptop senses it is dropped.
What you heard was the last sound repeating through the speakers as the drive had stopped.
Maybe
Be my guess if it was.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I have no idea what HDD and SSD are, so I don't know what I have. Part of why this confuses me is because I have banged it like that before. I really should be more careful, but yeah that's never happened before when I banged it.

a reply to: Gothmog

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I have banged it like that before

Never bang your laptop.

They don't like it.

P

edit on 18/11/2019 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive

As long as you didn't let the smoke out you should be fine.

I love this!! Hahaha

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   

It is obvious that the spirits of the narwhals attempted to possess your laptop. Be thankful it wasn't angry mermaid banshees- those pesky buggars are nearly impossible to get rid of!

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Might be your virus program scrubbing Windows

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Generally audio bypasses the cpu control to a large degree and generally the cpu just says sort of play this and sends it some details so if the systems completely having a bad time it may send the instructions to play the audio from the wrong section of memory so some other cached audio bit and quite often it'll repeat forever as the audio chip doesn't get the order to stop what its doing.

Why it locked up if its just a one off isn't worth the effort even if you happen to have a core dump as working through that will probably just reveal some bad coding fault that should never happen but due to jupiter being in saturn and two frogs outside dancing the jive it happened.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ellie Sagan
I have no idea what HDD and SSD are, so I don't know what I have. Part of why this confuses me is because I have banged it like that before. I really should be more careful, but yeah that's never happened before when I banged it.

SSD = Solid State Drive = No moving parts
HDD = Hard Disk Drive = Mechanical drive = oops if dropped

Just bbecause you have "banged" it like that before , doesn't mean the noise would be the same. Like I said , the HDD stopped , the sound card did not.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Just bbecause you have "banged" it like that before , doesn't mean the noise would be the same. Like I said , the HDD stopped , the sound card did not.

Unless the HDD has a drop detector.
Seen a toshiba that would freeze the hdd if you just pick it up, and gives a notification to say the hdd has been frozen due to shock.

Very simple and nifty

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Hehehe you got me laughing with that one!

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   
lol I only understood part of what you said... But I definitely got the joke part!

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Ok got it. Yeah I know it's not solid state, so I guess what you said makes complete sense! I remember when I was shopping for it, the guy explained what solid state means, and I decided on one that is not that. Apparently with how clumsy I am, maybe I should have opted for that kind.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Laptops that come with solid state drives are usually extremely over-priced.
You can always have your laptops hdd upgraded to an ssd.

The failure rate for normal hard disk drives is ridiculous... I would suggest getting it replaced with an ssd through a local IT shop.

Just check some google reviews and see who does a decent job.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther

originally posted by: Gothmog

Unless the HDD has a drop detector.
Seen a toshiba that would freeze the hdd if you just pick it up, and gives a notification to say the hdd has been frozen due to shock.

Very simple and nifty

Exactly what my post stated
The hard drive was shut down due to Gs on drop.
The sound kept playing from cache .

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Ok got it. Yeah I know it's not solid state, so I guess what you said makes complete sense! I remember when I was shopping for it, the guy explained what solid state means, and I decided on one that is not that. Apparently with how clumsy I am, maybe I should have opted for that kind.

SSDs are not much better unless one goes for the PCIe x4 M.2s

<<   2 >>

join