It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chick Fil A Bends The Knee, After Leftist Outrage Mobs, Chick Fil Drops Christian charities

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Your repeated special pleading to the side, Jesus said "judge not that you be not judged."

Anything else is babbling.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Again, the issue here is market forces in action, not condemnation of religious beliefs or of sexual orientation/gender identity per se.

Both have been unnecessarily over-politicized, in my opinion.

The question here is market forces and the right to assemble and act collectively (First Amendment).

Certain people gathered together to put market pressure on Chick-fil-a. Chick-fil-a has finally realized that being in business is not a religious act, but a matter of economics.

That's not exactly accurate, Gryph.
www.nationalreview.com...

In the past two weeks, two different airports have blocked Chick-fil-A from the premises. First, the city council of San Antonio banned the chain because, in the words of councilman Robert Trevino, “everyone should feel welcome when they walk through our airport.” Then, two weeks later, a New York Democratic assemblyman, Sean Ryan, announced that the Buffalo airport food vendor was prohibiting Chick-fil-A from operating in its food court. Ryan was explicit about the reason, declaring in a statement that “the views of Chick-fil-A do not represent our state or the Western New York community.”

abcnews.go.com...

A Chicago politician said he will block Chick-fil-A from opening a restaurant in his ward, following anti-gay marriage remarks by the fast food chain's president.

Alderman Joe Moreno, who represents Chicago's Logan Square neighborhood, plans to use his aldermanic privilege, a Chicago tradition in which City Council members defer to aldermen on local matters, to block the restaurant's permit.

newsfeed.time.com...

The people of Boston will have to purchase their chicken sandwiches elsewhere: Mayor Thomas M. Menino has sworn that the franchise will have to fight city hall to bring its fast-food empire to Boston

adflegal.org...

This isn't a "market forces in action" thing... Chick-Fil-A's sales numbers have soared year over year.
www.businessinsider.com...

The chain is the third largest in the US by sales, growing revenue by 16.7% in 2018 to reach nearly $10.5 billion, according to Nation's Restaurant News. Over the past decade, it has nearly tripled its annual sales.

Chick-fil-A managed to take over fast food with a fraction of the locations of other brands. And experts say it shows no sign of stopping.

That's sales growth with limited locations compared to other chains, meaning they've seen increasing customers at existing locations at a time when overall fast food sales have actually shrank.

This is 100% a politicians seeing that the market wasn't dishing out the "social justice" their political leanings wanted to see dished, so they are politically blockading the company from doing business in their communities. It's the polar opposite of allowing market forces to control corporate policies, in fact. Please, find me any sourced material which indicates Chick-Fil-A's sales hurting or them struggling against customer base backlash over their previous donations to Christian or normal sexual identity causes.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Says the non Christian teaching theology
And you don’t see anything wrong with that
Come on gryph, you can’t be that silly surely

Have you any common sense, just a drop
Stop replying and take a few seconds to think your logic through
Surely it’s not that hard to reason out, just think logically

Next you will say christians can’t judge their own actions because of this or that, infantile

a reply to: Gryphon66

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Ad hominem does not become you.

Jesus said what He said.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

What do you think Sheye, is unmarried sex acceptable in a Christian church
You clearly hate homosexuals with your bitter question about them
Singling them out as “worse” sinners than others

You equate them with pedophiles, then single them as the worst type of sinners

You really are the reason I am so disappointed with the Christian community

I don’t hate homosexuals at all ! It is the sexual act I disagree with, so don’t go twisting my words again.

You say I am making certain sins worse than others, but isn’t that what you do by hatefully targeting pedophiles and anyone who is JW. If a sin is a sin is a sin .. then they are all on the same level playing field.

I’ve had long in depth conversations with gays and I can assure you I have no hate for them. I pray for their conversion everyday with love.

Double edged tongues and hypocritical judgement is why I can’t stomach Christians like you at times. But I forgive you and am quite content in letting God be my judge as far as intent goes.
edit on 19-11-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Not a big fan of this kind of government interference.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Christians don’t do that, Christians are called to judge each other, not those outside the church.

Actually we are not called to Judge anyone. We can criticize a behavior of another person but no judgement. As to why just read 1 Corinthians 4:5

Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.

As to Judging each other i will also refer you to read Romans 14:10 , Romans 14:13 and James 4:11.

Just my 2 cents on that matter.

Peace

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Not a big fan of this kind of government interference.

That's exactly what is the driver in Chick-Fil-A changing who they're charitably contributing to. The minority "mob" didn't impact them in any way, their sales numbers continued to grow and demand in new markets was sky high... it was politicians curtailing their expansion plans, artificially creating barriers for growth based on the company's policies (policies which continue to be perfectly legal) that twisted their arm to force a change in course.

That's the point I'm irked over here. I don't care who Chick-Fil-A donates to or who's pissed off about it. I care when elected officials are ramrodding their own agendas into private corporations and doing so via interfering with those companies' expansion plans, blocking them politically because their constituents will ultimately makes those expansions financially successful despite a small, very vocal social justice contingent who are trying to force a private company to change their behavior.

It's not right.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

No worries. I understand CFA walked yesterday’s announcement back today.

Seems they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Perhaps a cautionary tale toward mixing politics, religion and commerce.

Aside from any groups rights to gather and act collectively within the law, I don’t have any problems with it either.

I don’t eat CFA anymore, but that’s my choice. That’s not where I want my dollars to go.

I don’t agree with any level of government screwing around with a business at this level. In fact, I’m not sure it’s even legal.
edit on 19-11-2019 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   

But elected officials are often representative of the communities they represent no?

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

But elected officials are often representative of the communities they represent no?

That's a stretch in this day and age, unfortunately. I think you reach a point where that can be said... A mayor, for example, can at least make the argument that they represent the majority who voted for them across an entire city. The remainder of these examples, however, are assemblypeople and city controlers, neither of which can claim to represent anyone outside of their district. The airport cases are especially nefarious, as the people making the decisions regarding the business license aren't even elected, they're selected by a local assembly and yeah, there's a lot of pay to play involved in those.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Forbidding a single corporation from doing business when they meet all legal requirements is against the Fourteenth Amendment. Depending on the jurisdiction if some sort of civil rights laws have been passed locally forbidding discrimination based on sexual orientation, perhaps they’d have a slight point but still not a good one.

Chick-fil-a has a right to do business. IF they fail in the market, they fail.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I would love to eat at Chick-Fil-A again, but Alaska does not have one. I suspect the Anchorage assembly, which is inexplicably progressive, would threaten to block it but would ultimately fold like a house of cheap cards. There are two reasons for that.
1. Up here you don't screw with any business looking to newly enter the AK marketplace. We need businesses to want to come here, not get blocked by asshats with a chip on their padded shoulder.
2. If CFA was looking to expand to AK, I'm not even sure they'd try Anchorage proper in the first place... Wasilla would bend over backwards for them and grant them a far better lease rate than Anchorage and yes, folks from Anchorage will gladly drive 45 minutes to grab food, we do it all the time with places far less yummy than CFA.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   

As a Georgia boy, I got to go in the past to the current “Dwarf House” that is on the location of Mr. Cathy’s original restaurant in Hapeville GA. If you ever pass through the Atlanta airport with a few hours to spare, you’d probably enjoy it.

I currently live down the street from the original Waffle House as well. Hungry folks, us Georgians.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Forbidding a single corporation from doing business when they meet all legal requirements is against the Fourteenth Amendment. Depending on the jurisdiction if some sort of civil rights laws have been passed locally forbidding discrimination based on sexual orientation, perhaps they’d have a slight point but still not a good one.

Chick-fil-a has a right to do business. IF they fail in the market, they fail.

But that's simply not the case. Cities etc can and do block businesses that do not meet community standards:

Liquor stores or Adult entertainment venues are routinely blocked at the city, county, or even state level.

California does have laws on the books en.wikipedia.org... but I'm not sure if that would apply to corporate donations but Im not a lawyer so??????

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

You never know. They are expanding west. We are getting our second in the Bay Area. It makes sense that AK would get one sooner or later. Unless there is a concern that they might have logistical or supply chain issues

Edit to add: You throw out all these AK cities and I know exactly where they are from watching Alaska State Troopers LOL
edit on 11/19/19 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

You never know. They are expanding west. We are getting our second in the Bay Area. It makes sense that AK would get one sooner or later. Unless there is a concern that they might have logistical or supply chain issues

Edit to add: You throw out all these AK cities and I know exactly where they are from watching Alaska State Troopers LOL

I am not surprised Wasilla is featured on AST. Wasilla is sort of, hmm, it's like what you'd get if all the residents of a trailer park cum meth lab complex suddenly won the Powerball lottery. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it's literally the most appropriate comparison I can make. The communities around Wasilla are sleepy little Alaska communities with a few problem children but mostly good hard working people who are friendly and trustworthy. Wasilla, however, is AK's Cousin Eddie.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   

They block all businesses of a certain type, not one business individually.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   

For that to be legally applicable, they'd need to demonstrate that they were blocking all chicken sandwich restaurants, or all fast food restaurants, or something of that nature. Bans on adult bookstores, liquor stores, etc are directly tied to the product or service they're selling (which is a legally supported reason for a community or state to bar businesses) basing the barring on the company's political positions, charitable giving, or personal opinions (mind you so long as all of these are federally legal) is not a legally valid reason to ban them.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   

No worries. I understand CFA walked yesterday’s announcement back today.

Seems they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Perhaps a cautionary tale toward mixing politics, religion and commerce.

Aside from any groups rights to gather and act collectively within the law, I don’t have any problems with it either.

I don’t eat CFA anymore, but that’s my choice. That’s not where I want my dollars to go.

I don’t agree with any level of government screwing around with a business at this level. In fact, I’m not sure it’s even legal.

The thing, CFA really didn't mix politics with business beyond just choosing to remain closed on Sunday. I grew up in Atlanta and everyone knew CFA didn't open on Sundays. It wasn't any more complicated that that...

CFA is not putting bible verses on their sandwich wrappers. I think they are far less invasive in pushing an agenda that many other companies like Nike, P&G, etc. CFA is in trouble because some executives gave to charities the LBGTQABCDEXYZ mob doesn't like.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join