It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists 'may have crossed ethical line' in growing human brains

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: schuyler

That's just it...if it is being done for the good of mankind, then awesome! BUT...I always fear that some mad scientist will take something too far and create God knows what. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, or I watch too many movies with weird scenarios like that.

So because you have watched some scary movies scientists should be prevented from creating brain cells? When people start drawing "ethical" lines in the sand because of fear that stifles scientific research. If I were a scientist I would be saying, "Who are you to govern my research?" And frankly, if that kind of criticism were happening on a wholesale basis, I would stop telling you about my research. When confronted with criticisms based on fantasy (like movies) the tendency would be to drive this sort of research underground, thus having the opposite effect that you want.

"Ethics" sounds like a word of superiority, something that ought to govern human behavior and keep it on the "proper" track, but it is a loaded word. Up until recently (and to some extent even currently) "ethical" behavior included condemning blasphemy as a crime against God even punishable by death. The people who promoted this idea felt very strongly that they were being "ethical." And that's why I have little use for the word. People who bandy the word about do not have a superior point of view.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Wouldn't be surprised if one of the ABC agencies haven't already merged such a thing with technology for their "AI" ambitions.

Then again, is it functionally any different from reproducing that structure on a computer? I think as AI and artifical organs become more prevalant it is the kind of question we have to really look at

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

A typo obviously. It was posted just before I drifted off last night so "entry error"

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   

So because you have watched some scary movies scientists should be prevented from creating brain cells? When people start drawing "ethical" lines in the sand because of fear that stifles scientific research. If I were a scientist I would be saying, "Who are you to govern my research?" And frankly, if that kind of criticism were happening on a wholesale basis, I would stop telling you about my research. When confronted with criticisms based on fantasy (like movies) the tendency would be to drive this sort of research underground, thus having the opposite effect that you want.

Calm down. I'm not about to protest any research and I especially wouldn't base my opinions off of movies, even if they make you wonder sometimes. Lol

I am not scientifically inclined. There is much we don't know and need to learn. Most of it I wouldn't understand anyway. But it does sound creepy playing around with brain cells. In a less educated mind such as my own, I can create all kinds of scenarios, doesn't mean I'm right.

Interesting subject nonetheless.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Crazy interesting!

Just wait though..we have not even begun to cross the line!

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Be it animals or franken-creatures, something has to take one for the team before medical testing can move on to human trials. Otherwise people bitch about how unethical THAT is without testing on the aforementioned first. Damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario for researchers there.

Personally, I have no qualms with either, nor with abolishing them & having human-only early testing. Pick your poison here, you can't have medical advancements just appear out of a vacuum. As I said, SOMETHING has to take one for the team, or we go nowhere fast.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 02:49 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 02:51 AM
link   
This is good.

When the zombie apocalypse happens they can eat synthetic brains.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Ethical line eh?

Thing is it generally stands that if we can do a thing, we will do that thing.

Humanity does not invent tools it does not use.

If scientific endeavors such as this were say ever to end, or open up avenues of viable treatment, where the likes of Alzheimer's, Senility, and brain cancer are concerned, i would say the needs of the many outweigh the needs of few.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

That's just it...if it is being done for the good of mankind, then awesome! BUT...I always fear that some mad scientist will take something too far and create God knows what. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, or I watch too many movies with weird scenarios like that.

Or it can become something like this. Please merge with the Overmind guys.

Spawn more Humanoids. Let us merge with all beings on the planet. The planet shall be ruled by one mind.

edit on 19-11-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Ethical line eh?

If scientific endeavors such as this were say ever to end, or open up avenues of viable treatment, where the likes of Alzheimer's, Senility, and brain cancer are concerned, i would say the needs of the many outweigh the needs of few.

You can do that with a condom. You can cure every one of these diseases before they even happen by simply using birth control. You can do it by spending 6 bucks on a box of rubbers. A person who never exists will not get sick in any fashion.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   
This doesn't mean we're gonna have living brain donors walk'n
around does it? Wobble'n down the sidewalk look'n up at shlt.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Naw mate Jonnies don't cure Alzheimer's, Senility, or Cancer.

Else i think we might all have been using them wrong.

A person who never exists will simply never be, sickness and everything else aside.

Not quite sure how growing human brains have anything to do with planned parenthood to be honest.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

Ethical line eh?

You can do that with a condom. You can cure every one of these diseases before they even happen by simply using birth control. You can do it by spending 6 bucks on a box of rubbers. A person who never exists will not get sick in any fashion.

Mmm But before he got alzheimers, he cured stupidity.
So happy his parents DIDNT use one that time...

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Naw mate Jonnies don't cure Alzheimer's, Senility, or Cancer.

Of course not. They cure the underlying condition that causes all of those. Existence.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Aside from the ones that burst of course.

I think most of us like existence pal, having never know or been privy to any other state, that would be yourself included if you are entirely honest.

Life, might not be all it's cracked up to be, but as far as i can establish thus far, its a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

Science may cure Alzheimer's, Senility, and Cancer, through genetic engineering or manipulation at the cellular level via some form of nanotechnology.

Condoms, well not so much im afraid no matter what way you put them on.
edit on 20-11-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I think most of us like existence pal,

Most of us have a funny way of showing it.

edit on 20-11-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

Most of our bodies don't like existence. And they try their damnedest to inform us of reality but we just won't listen.
edit on 20-11-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   

What other way would we show it other than to exist and plod along?

Most of our bodies are water if truth be told.

Humans evolved here on Earth, we are pretty much perfectly adapted to live here.

Hence the apex predator part of the human condition.

How do our bodies try to inform us they don't like existence?

Aside from aging of course, then again entropy is a universal trait and not just a Human contention.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Hence the apex predator part of the human condition.

Try killing a polar bear with your teeth.

We are smarter than most, it seems. For all the good it does us. There are a lot more insects than people. We are no more "perfectly adapted" to life on Earth than any other creature on it.

edit on 11/20/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join