It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spices??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Now, I don't know about you, but it seems like you can never have enough spice racks for your spices...so you can see them without rummaging through a drawer or cabinet. There always seems to be way more spices than we have racks for.

Well, I'm gonna' fix that problem once and for all (...I hope)!

I have a 38"x36" piece of wall to work with, so I'm going to put up (14) spice racks which can hold 8 spice bottles each. That will give us space for (112) spice bottles. THEN, I'm going to build (4) additional short shelves to hold some of the odd sized tins and bottles. I already put two roll-out spice cabinets in the island to hold the commercial sized spices in the large jugs, and that works perfectly for those. They hold (16) spice containers per level and there are three levels, so this gives us room for (48) spice jugs per cabinet, and there are (2) cabinets for a total of 96 jugs.

So, 112 spice jars + 96 spice jugs + (4) shelves with an estimated (10) per shelf, brings us to....drum roll please...a grand total of 248 positions for spices.

That's GOT to be enough...right???

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Enough? I wouldn't be so sure...

Seriously though: that sounds pretty decent of a rack.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Amateur.

Just pour all the spices into a mason jar for 1 Mega spice mix

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

LOL!

Yeah, just dump that saffron right in there with the oregano, right?

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Surely you'll have enough spaces, but the real question is ....

How in the hell are you going to organize/ sort them?

I can only imagine my lady and I squabbling about that!

"The lemon pepper does NOT go with the white/black/red pepper!"

Well how am I supposed to find it then?

"Its right next to the smoked paprika, where it should be."

That doesnt even make sense! What's next, the cinnamon by the mint?

Oh man, we would go round and round forever! And that's before I have a devilish moment and rearrange them at random...

Yup, she'd kill me for sure.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Wow.. for a family of two you sure have a lot of bulk spices. Doesn’t that stuff lose it’s potency after awhile ?

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Too many spices, and that doesn't even begin to get into the vinegar problem ...

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

You could take inspiration from the movie Overboard. Do you remember the shoe rack scene? You could do that but for spices.

I have no idea why that has no sound. It must be the video.

Here's something that somebody actually built. You seem really handy so I'm sure you could do this.

edit on 17-11-2019 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

the more sensible approach :

how many do you actually have [ spice bottles ] ?

how many got used in 2018 ?

how many times in 2018 did you mutter " iff only i had ...................... " ?

my spice rack = < 15 items . that i use on a per week basis

granted almost all herbs - i use fresh - with just one tob of " mixed fried herbs " - for emergences // laziness

and stuff like garam massala and other blended stuffs - i buy pre mixed - i CBA with grinding an mixing things

but hey each to his own

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   
spitting coffee on the overboard reference.

I'm terrible with spices, never knowing what to put on what.
edit on 11/17/2019 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

We actually do use ours fairly regularly. We eat fish twice a week, and the husband freestyles with the spice rack just to keep it interesting. So if there's something he hasn't used in a while, he'll put some in just to see what happens.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Good point. Spices do lose their potency if they get too old.

We go through them though, and the only ones we have in bulk are things like black pepper, pepper flakes, salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder, etc. We'll probably never fill up all 96 spots. In fact, we've switched around the interior of one of the two cabinets just to hold cutting boards for now.

All the rest are in small bottles.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
ahh.. that makes much more sense. I thought those cabinet drawers were filled with large containers of spices, plus everything you had in racks... which is mega spice for a family of two. Good to have lots of spices though, I wish I was better at using them.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

We also tried to build in some room for future expansion also, with all sizes.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

How in the hell are you going to organize/ sort them?

Alphabetically, for the most part. There may be some exceptions, but that's how we do them now and it seems to work. The problem now is you can't really see them all because they're all just jammed in a cabinet. That's the problem we're fixing.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   
That should leave plenty of room for a few of these.
monq.com...
My own personal favorite spice is ground skulls of my enemies.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I need a better spice rack too. My spice cupbpard is double stacked. I must have around 75 to 100 jars, bags and tins. I have some vintage tins I refill. My little sister travels the world and always brings back special spices for me from her adventures

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   

So, 112 spice jars + 96 spice jugs + (4) shelves with an estimated (10) per shelf, brings us to....drum roll please...a grand total of 248 positions for spices.

LOL

Did you ever get my PM about the pen pal thing?

new topics

top topics

join