It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Thalidomide Slows Major Cause of Cancer Death..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The drug Thalidomide, which was used as an anti morning sickness medication in the fifties and sixties has been shown in recent studies on cancer patients to slow body wastage or cathexia. Thalidomide, which is also being investigated in treatment of 100 other diseases including AIDS and Tuberculosis, was tested on 50 patients terminally ill from pancreatic cancer, with patients using 200 miligrams of thalidomide daily showing weight gain of .37 kg as opposed to the control group using the placebo's losing an average of 2.21 kg during the same time span.

news.bbc.co.uk
The researchers say the drug appears to dampen down inflammation in the body, but how it does this is not yet known.

Writing in Gut, the team led by Dr John Gordon, said: "It remains to be seen whether these results can be generalised to all cancers and whether attenuation of weight loss leads to prolonged survival.

"In the future, combination of the thalidomide with nutritional supplements and pharmacological agents may ultimately lead to a better clinical outcome," they suggest.

In an editorial in the journal, Dr Michael Stroud, from Southampton's Institute of Human Nutrition, said: "This appears to show that this fairly cheap oral agent, if kept away from opportunities for causing birth defects, does ameliorate the wasting process and, furthermore, that maintaining better weight grants some benefit in terms of improved physical function."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There was no difference in the death rate between the two groups taking part in the experiment and patients in the Thalidomide control group reported mild side affects including skin irritations and constiptaion.

Thalidomide was taken off the open market in the sixties when it was linked to birth defects of children whose mothers took the medication while pregnant. Limb deformities and missing limbs were two main dramatic consquences of taking the drug for morning sickness.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
with the way things are going, this will become some sort of cancer therapy. And some irresponsible people will conceive while taking this drug. Then the lawsuits will begin.

While I have faith in the overall goodness of humanity, I have no illusions as to the very stupid, very vocal minority, and the lengths they will go through for their selfishnesses.

This culture of "it's all about ME!" needs some serious adjustment.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I though that drug was completely taken away, I remember the drug side effect on unborn children.

I remember the children that were born with the deformities, it was very, very sad.

My mother almost took that drug in the in the sixties, she used to talk about it.

The children born with the deformities were in my age range. It seems like such a long time ago.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Dont be fooled, this drug was still being issued in the mid 70's, they have enough money to keep doing research on the drug but they cant afford to pay the victims

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

join