It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frig goes on a Journey

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Well, phase III of our kitchen remodel has officially begun. Today's tasks were to relocate the refrigerator, remove a granite countertop, a granite backsplash and remove 3 cabinets. Then run a new water line to the new frig location.

So, for the frig; we have one of the biggest refrigerators Samsung makes, and it's a beast! Had to unload everything, jack up the legs and move it all the way across the kitchen, around the island and into its new home. I reran the waterline first, and was dreading moving this beast of a frig. Well, it wasn't too bad actually (the move). The rollers worked decently, and didn't scratch the floor. And, unloaded, it was only about 480lbs. to move.

Took out the countertop, that was pretty easy (just some heavy lifting). Now I've just got the backsplash and cabinets to remove. Cabinets will be easy, but the backsplash is a solid piece of granite which spans the entire width of the kitchen. I think I'm going to have to break that to remove the piece I need to get out.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You ever going to post pics of this multi-decade remodeling saga?

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Picture S or it didn’t happen. Hahaha......

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Have a peek at stone coat countertops.

If you do have to break the backsplash, do multiple breaks.

A 1-2" wide natural break looks awesome with some backlit epoxy with the additives they have.

This is how I "fixed" a granite countertop last year.

Homeowners wife was ready to cry when her husband and brother broke it.

He and I did the epoxy, lighting, and install in 24 hrs while his wife was out of town.

She could not believe we repaired it.

When we threw on the lights , she screamed like a little girl.

Omg!
I love it, I love it i love iiiiittt!!!

Pretty sure we saved the husband from castration.

Anyways, look into it if you do have to break it. It's more work, but worth it.
edit on 16-11-2019 by Notoneofyou because: Fingers work for crap today.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Notoneofyou
Have a peek at stone coat countertops.

I went with a quartz composite material for mine, I didn't want the maintenance requirements of either granite or marble or the functionality issues with those two either. The only thing I can't do is take a pan right out of the oven and put it on the counter, which is not really that big of a deal.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I like the stuff for woodworking. It looks cool to fill the gaps and holes.

Haven't done any whole countertops out of It yet. I wonder if you couldn't give it a veneer of Micah or glass to negate the heat issue.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

It really isn't an issue, plus I wouldn't want to have to deal with the care of a surface coating. Quartz allows you to basically do anything without care. Also there are limitless finishes so you can customize your countertops for your kitchen. We went with a really bold color that worked well with the amount of light and the high ceilings in our kitchen:

edit on 16-11-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
We went with a really bold color that worked well with the amount of light and the high ceilings in our kitchen:

Yeah the bold colors have nothing to do with masking the bloodsplatters better....

Really beautiful kitchen.

Peace

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It really isn't an issue, plus I wouldn't want to have to deal with the care of a surface coating. Quartz allows you to basically do anything without care. Also there are limitless finishes so you can customize your countertops for your kitchen. We went with a really bold color that worked well with the amount of light and the high ceilings in our kitchen:

Love the trayed ceiling.

I used to work for a historical society restoration co.

Did a lot of copper ceilings, roofs, bars/countertops.

I do like the colors you've gone with, looks great.

Is the stove a viking?

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

**Sigh** Okay, alright already!

They're crappy pictures and it's a work in progress, so don't be too critical.

Phase 1 - this wall was just completely open. So I built a built in hutch / buffet. Had to open the wall all up to get the electrical in. This is a progress photo of the cabinets going in.

Phase 1 - Cabinets near complete, but without the counter top

Phase 2 - The island. Quartzite countertops installed on both the island and the hutch / buffet

Phase 3 - What I'm working on now - removing the black granite you see, replacing all the appliances. Adding in a 48" stove, hood (1000 cfm with outside exhaust), a farm/apron sink, new cabinets and running a water line for a pot filler on the stove (plus a gas line re-route, moving some electrical outlets and other stuff). Oh, and a large wall mounted spice rack.

ETA - BTW...the quartzite is actually green. It looks grey in the picture because the pic is overexposed, but it's actually this really cool deep green color with grey marbling through it. Never seen any stone like it before, it's definitely unique (it cost enough, it ought to be!). And let me tell ya, that hunk of quartzite on the island was one 'mutha' humper' to get in there!!! It's a single 1,300lb piece! Took 5 of us to get it in the house, across the living room, into the kitchen and hoisted up to set (could have used 3 more too)!

edit on 11/16/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Oh, and Phase 3 also includes ripping out a angled wall in the living room (currently with a gas fireplace) and replacing it with a stone hearth and with a wood burning fireplace (YAY!!...finally).

This was part of the deal; she gets her kitchen, and I (finally) get my long wanted fireplace! That's going to be a major chore because I've got to do stone and brick work all over the place, including up through the attic and out through the roof.

(secretly though, I want the kitchen too...ssshhhhh...don't tell anyone)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime
Yeah the bold colors have nothing to do with masking the bloodsplatters better....

Really beautiful kitchen.

Peace

You caught me. And thanks.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   

It looks great. I wonder what y'all cook as the first meal when it is completed.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

That is beautiful! It is far different than I expected from our favorite cannibal- I don't know what I imagined just very different.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Notoneofyou
Love the trayed ceiling.

I used to work for a historical society restoration co.

Did a lot of copper ceilings, roofs, bars/countertops.

I do like the colors you've gone with, looks great.

Thanks, I had wanted to put that in since day one. I finally found a US-based company that was using molds from the 1800's that did really great work.

Is the stove a viking?

Wolf.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Nice job so far, you look like you have about the same size kitchen as me which is nice.

I like the quartzite top, the veining is eye catching. You look like you're going with an undercounter microwave too which is a space saving feature I wanted as well.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onlyyouknow
That is beautiful! It is far different than I expected from our favorite cannibal- I don't know what I imagined just very different.

Thank you.

You probably pictured a large spit roaster with a person impaled on it, I know I did.

edit on 16-11-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Thanks.

Yes, we've since put in the under counter microwave. The old microwave is over the stove, so that's coming out (along with the cabinet above it) to make room for the hood.

Kind of hard to get used to the under counter microwave though.

Heh, I just discovered we got a free 12" 4 rolling drawer bottom cabinet in our last shipment of cabinets. Don't know how that happened, but it's now the 4th free cabinet I've gotten so far! Two were bench cabinets, one was a top cabinet they fabbed with the wrong interior color (they just told us to keep it) and now this one.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Onlyyouknow

Thanks.

I wonder what y'all cook as the first meal when it is completed.

That's been one of the challenges with this project, and why we had to break it up into so many phases; we needed to have a kitchen to cook in throughout the whole project. Out here in the sticks we don't really have many eating out options unless we drive 30 miles. So, we whip up something nice at the completion of each phase, but honestly we eat pretty good any time.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Yes, we've since put in the under counter microwave. The old microwave is over the stove, so that's coming out (along with the cabinet above it) to make room for the hood.

Kind of hard to get used to the under counter microwave though.

When the hood and an extractor that actually works are installed you'll get used to it real quick. Trust me on that one.

I'd suggest going with the largest blower motor you can, I went with a 1,400cfm which was the second largest and I wish I went with a 1,600.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join