It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Frans New DA Panders To Homeless Won't Prosecute Public Urination And Camping

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Just admit it, you were never interested in acknowledging the methodology, you were just hoping no one would post it so that you could dismiss it with a wave of your hand. Well kudos, you found a way to do that anyways. 👏👏👏
edit on 11/16/2019 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

DAMNING THE SOURCE: (ad hominem, sometimes called the genetic fallacy) attempts to refute an argument by indicting the source of the argument, rather than the substance of the argument itself. Attacking the messenger, not the message

Googlelator

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

The People who Run the Local Government in San Francisco should be Hauled Off and put in the Local Jail by WE THE PEOPLE . Whats the Problem People , You have the Constitutional Right and Power to do so , so DO IT !

edit on 16-11-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Liberals are poo heads, but that's beside the point.

Homelessness exists, it has always existed.

Now, do we exacerbate the problem or minimalize the problem?

We'll never eradicate the problem because it is a human behavior problem.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The biggest mistake, in my opinion, that government has ever made, was when Reagan shut down funding for federal mental health facilities.

It's the ONLY type of socialized medicine I support and would gladly pay my tax dollars towards.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
The biggest mistake, in my opinion, that government has ever made, was when Reagan shut down funding for federal mental health facilities.

It's the ONLY type of socialized medicine I support and would gladly pay my tax dollars towards.

100%.

Well said.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

100%.

Well said.

Oh , so you Disliked President Reagan too Eh Gryphon... > ? Your Pathetic Warped Political Mindset is Showing Man , and it Ain't Pretty .............

edit on 16-11-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Liberals are poo heads, but that's beside the point.

Homelessness exists, it has always existed.

Now, do we exacerbate the problem or minimalize the problem?

We'll never eradicate the problem because it is a human behavior problem.

It is a human problem. I’ve given it a lot of thought. There are several charities in Atlanta that I work with, but I know that at best, it’s a painfully temporary measure.

One of the problems is, there’s no single vector for someone becoming homeless. Sometimes, it’s willful.

Other times, it’s the most devastating thing that can happen to anyone.

I know that playing to the middle ... what is needed from us as a society is to provide a path toward these folks restoring their individual ability to take care of themselves. Restoring that authority that is natural and basic and primal to every human being ... without which we are reduced to ...well, what we see in some of the urban centers.

But a hand up is completely useless if they cant reach your hand.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

100%.

Well said.

Oh , so you Disliked President Reagan too Eh Gryphon... > ? Your Pathetic Warped Political Mindset is Showing Man , and it Ain't Pretty .............

Good evening Zanti, and how are you doing?

I’m doing well, thanks.
edit on 16-11-2019 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Are you calling DB pathetic and warped? Must mean you are too because you both share the same politics. 🤣

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Reagan was an outstanding president, one I admire greatly.

But even great men make mistakes.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Oh, Zanti Misfit was just saying hi.

We have each other’s measure.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Reagan was an outstanding president, one I admire greatly.

But even great men make mistakes.

Among which were skyrocketing the national debt and ignoring the AIDS crisis, but I did like his hair.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I was enlisted for much of the time he was in office.

He did take care of us.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I did get caught up in the moment, happens more than I would like.

The SF mayor’s position in the matter of dealing with homelessness is not a solution. Bringing societal standards down to meet someone who has lost everything is not the correct way.

New York City’s approach (by the way, they’ve more homeless than anywhere else) has been to provide basic shelter requirements for homeless folks. I have no issue with that, but I feel like it should happen at the community level rather than the governmental.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I was enlisted for much of the time he was in office.

He did take care of us.

That he did.

Even though I disagreed with him, and hate much of his legacy, I do believe that as such things go, he was a good man.

As good as any of us, anyway.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I’ve demonstrated far more actual statistical and numerical arguments here than you have. You like to wave your hand at the numbers and say well, that means this, this means that.

“Per capita measures tell us how much of a problem is relative to the population?”

That proves you know absolutely nothing about actual quantitative analysis ... sorry.

I threw Texas and Florida in there to show that the problem of homelessness does not depend on the silly simplistic causes that you and others here are trying to claim,.. ie. relative “liberal vs. conservative” measures. You haven’t defined those terms, you haven’t specified your samples or your controls, you’re just stringing catch-phrases together to come back to your premises. It’s a circular argument and it’s the main reason I don’t waste time on actual debate with you folks.

SInce I have to draw it out in crayon, greater population density means more people in a smaller area. Combined with unsheltered homeless (which is why New York is doing better than California) that greater number of people in the street results in more # in the street.

I should have thought that beyond simplistic to the plainly obvious.

Thanks for the chat.

No, you posted data without actually offering any real insight. I've asked multiple times as to how population density would cause homelessness. You offered no answer other than pointing out there is a correlation. I don't disagree, but that correlation is really like a "No sh*t, Sherlock" observation. Of course, large cities will tend to have the most homeless.

You then tried to throw in Texas and Florida as mentioned in the study because they have high absolute numbers to try to deflect from a clear observation that San Fran, Portland, Seattle, LA, and Austin are all liberal bastions experiencing out of control homeless problem. I just pointed out to you that even the study you linked to in your post noted that on a per capita basis, Texas and Florida actually have lower than average homeless rates disproving your assertion.

Look, you can try to argue what color blue the sky is, but the reality is that we have five major cities in the US experiencing a severe homeless crisis. All of these cities are not only run by far leftists, but have been extremely vocal about the policies they have implemented. We can cleary see the linkage and increased homelessness.

Do liberals cause homelessness? No, not directly. However, it seems pretty obvious that liberals most certainly encourage it.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Just admit it, you were never interested in acknowledging the methodology, you were just hoping no one would post it so that you could dismiss it with a wave of your hand. Well kudos, you found a way to do that anyways. 👏👏👏

No, because unlike some of you, I actually try to READ and understand the methodology because studies can often have biases or weak data. But then again, it is people like you who still believe in men and women pay gaps and 97% of scientist believe in global warming.

I don't take any study or data as presented.

If you read the article as linked, they don't provide any of the actual tax data. The ROI calculation is based on really vague measurements like school quality, etc.

To be fair, I am not saying the study is bad, but it is pretty clear that there are some gaping holes in the methodology.

This is why it is so easy to get over on you leftist. You never get below the surface on anything. You just take stuff as presented.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Not sure if this helps but this chart shows which states also get the largest handouts. It's displaying how much each one gets back for every dollar they contribute to the Treasury:

Can you link to the data and methodology that underlies the chart?

Googled it for you.

Took less time than typing this comment did.

Thanks. As I figured, the methodology is a bit light and vague.

Methodology
In order to determine which states yield the best and worst return on investment (ROI) for taxpayers, WalletHub compared the quality of government services received by residents to the total state and local taxes they pay in each of the 50 states.

First, we analyzed each state across five key government-service categories: 1) Education, 2) Health, 3) Safety, 4) Economy and 5) Infrastructure & Pollution. The categories were further broken down into 30 relevant metrics, which are listed below with their corresponding weights. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the best quality of government service.

We then determined each state’s weighted average across all 30 metrics to calculate its “Overall Government Services Score.”

Finally, we constructed the Taxpayer ROI ranking by comparing each state’s “Overall Government Services Score” to its “Total Taxes Paid per Capita.” “Per Capita” includes the population aged 18 and older.

You’re welcome. You sorta left out the whole bit where they go more into depth about their methodology, which would eliminate the whole “light and vague” dismissal of it but whatever. As we all know, studies can show whatever we want them to show and if they don’t, we just dismiss the methods used.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Not sure if this helps but this chart shows which states also get the largest handouts. It's displaying how much each one gets back for every dollar they contribute to the Treasury:

Can you link to the data and methodology that underlies the chart?

Googled it for you.

Took less time than typing this comment did.

Thanks. As I figured, the methodology is a bit light and vague.

Methodology
In order to determine which states yield the best and worst return on investment (ROI) for taxpayers, WalletHub compared the quality of government services received by residents to the total state and local taxes they pay in each of the 50 states.

First, we analyzed each state across five key government-service categories: 1) Education, 2) Health, 3) Safety, 4) Economy and 5) Infrastructure & Pollution. The categories were further broken down into 30 relevant metrics, which are listed below with their corresponding weights. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the best quality of government service.

We then determined each state’s weighted average across all 30 metrics to calculate its “Overall Government Services Score.”

Finally, we constructed the Taxpayer ROI ranking by comparing each state’s “Overall Government Services Score” to its “Total Taxes Paid per Capita.” “Per Capita” includes the population aged 18 and older.

Yeah, but not as vague as claiming that homelessness per capita proves that liberals are poo-heads.

You don’t like what the numbers show, so you make a disparaging remark and quote a passage without further commentary showing what your criticisms are ...

Weaksauce.

I didn't claim homelessness per capita proves liberals are poo heads. Liberals being poo-heads is a just a natural state of a universe. You guys prove it on your own.

I just brought up per capita because simply stating one city or state has more homeless than another can be a bit misleading. Nothing more.

You made the claim that population density is tied to homelessness. Not me. I was just also pointing out that cities like Portland, Seattle, and LA aren't exactly high density compared to say San Fran or even NYC. So understanding per capita numbers for those cities might also put things in perspective, good or bad.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join