It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Frans New DA Panders To Homeless Won't Prosecute Public Urination And Camping

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Homeless Ranking by US City

New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago
Houston
Phoenix
Philadelphia
San Antonio
San Diego
Dallas
San Jose, CA

Population Density by Major US City

New York City
San Francisco
Boston
Chicago
Philadelphia
Miami
(There were only six major cities on the list that I pulled)

Four out of six of the most densely populated US cities are also the ones with the highest homeless populations.

ETA: This is fast and dirty, but sustains my point. Further if you look at the Population Density by City link below, you will find that the Portland Metropolitan Area (not just the city proper) is one of the most highly dense population centers in the US.

References

Report to Congress 2018

Population Density by City

USA Today

Forbes

edit on 16-11-2019 by Gryphon66 because: Formatting

edit on 16-11-2019 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Do populations follow programs or do programs follow populations?

Populations follow money, and so does homelessness

Denver is booming. Rent went too far up too fast - so did the homelessness

If you're waiting for things to trickle down - it's not going to trickle down to the bottom in cities that aren't doing as well

Where are you going to go when you've got nothing? Mayberry?
edit on 11/16/2019 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Sounds like you guys want your cake and to eat it too. What if homelessness is at an all time high? I guess that doesn't count against Trump at all, right? Only good things do. 🤣

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
This isn’t really a part of the specific argument of the OP, but of worthy mention, the top states for homelessness in the US are:

California
New York
Florida
Texas
Washington
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
Colorado
Oregon
Illinois

Anyone care to argue that Florida, Texas, Colorado and Oregon are liberal?

Source

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

They're RINO states obviously! 🤣

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   
US States by GDP

California
Texas
New York
Florida
Illinois
Pennsylvania
Ohio
New Jersey
Georgia
Washington

Source

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
So, based on homelessness by city and state, population density by city and GDP the top five are:

California
Texas
New York
Florida
Pennsylvania

A pattern begins to emerge. Homelessness correlates to economics and geospatial variables more than to political ones.

TL;DR: Homelessness is not a function of political tendencies.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

They're RINO states obviously! 🤣

Here’s the funny part if I wanted to make a politics/economic ranking argument ... most of the poorest States are also the reddest ones.

However, that’s again correlation not causation, per se.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Seriously? Your facts mean nothing. It's liberals all the way down.

/s

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Not sure if this helps but this chart shows which states also get the largest handouts. It's displaying how much each one gets back for every dollar they contribute to the Treasury:

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, that’s a great comparison, when the questions are reduced to economic standing compared with political leaning.

There’s a lot of issues going on in San Francisco, and a lot of different ones in Los Angeles, but my observation about population density is certainly not the “one to one” answer ... and of course I didn’t present it that way.

Many of the comments here tried to do that with politics ...it’s just not true.

What is true is that if one’s economic standing were going to suggest a party affiliation, far more Americans need to be Democrats for the monetary assistance if nothing else.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
This isn’t really a part of the specific argument of the OP, but of worthy mention, the top states for homelessness in the US are:

California
New York
Florida
Texas
Washington
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
Colorado
Oregon
Illinois

Source

From the report you linked. On a per capita basis, both Florida and Texas are BELOW the national average per 100,000 people. They just have large populations overall.

Page 14:

California and New York had the largest
numbers of people experiencing homelessness
and high rates of homelessness, at 33 and 46
people per 10,000. Hawaii and Oregon also had
high rates, with 46 and 35 people per 10,000.
While Florida and Texas contributed large
numbers of homeless people to the national
estimates, they had rates of homelessness
lower than the national average of 17 people
per 10,000 (15 per 10,000 for Florida and 9 per
10,000 for Texas).

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
As most of us already know, San Francisco's homelessness problem is out of control. People are camping in the parks, as well as on public sidewalks, and the problem is getting worse.

I have to ask.

What is your solution to the homeless situation?

Anything will be better than what California and Washington are currently doing. What are your ideas?

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

So no solution, just pointing fingers. Figures. 🤣

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

California
New York
Florida
Texas
Washington
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
Colorado
Oregon
Illinois

Source

State level doesn't mean much. Truth be told, the entire country is mostly red except around major cities which also happens to be where you will find most of the homeless.... even in solidly red states, the major cities are often a blue dot.

Texas is red, Austin Texas isn't. I posted earlier about Austin starting to experience the same problems as Portland, Seattle, etc. They are decriminalizing encampments, etc.

Oregon is pretty liberal. yes, is rural, but the state is definitely uber liberal. Portland? Hipster heaven.

Colorado is also pretty liberal.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   

So no solution, just pointing fingers. Figures. 🤣

I'm not in office, so I've no inclination to come up with a solution. Especially with the OP being about the DA.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to a program similar to what the Coalition for the Homeless has. But for any solution to actually succeed, the people themselves have to want to work and better themselves.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Huh? Not sure what you are talking about.

And What do you mean by "you guys"? The BLS changed the reporting criteria..not me. Been bitchin about it since the Obama era.

ETA...I reread the convo, and bud, I was agreeing with you. Homelessness is up. Just look at food pantry usage. The BLS is skewing data...been doing it for awhile. Like how they took fuel and food off the consumer price index....REALLY?

edit on 16-11-2019 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Sounds like you guys want your cake and to eat it too. What if homelessness is at an all time high? I guess that doesn't count against Trump at all, right? Only good things do. 🤣

Well, if Trump or any President is responsible for homelessness, I'd say we have an issue with States Rights.

Are you suggesting that states and cities are absolved of responsibility for this?

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I'm just pointing out how some people like to have their cake and eat it too. They'll give all the praise in the world for a president when things are good but pass blame to someone else as soon as things aren't as good as they would like.

I have yet to see any Trump supporter call him out on anything other than attacking Syria and that was forgotten within a blink of an eye.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I'm so used to being "attacked" around ge I just assume the worst when someone replies to ne. Apologies.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join