It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Frans New DA Panders To Homeless Won't Prosecute Public Urination And Camping

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

You have a majorly skewed view of things. I’ve lived for years in Seattle and San Francisco.

What is so startling is that these shelters are run by a consortium of all the churches/synagogues in the city. Yes, we actually allow the religious to help the homeless which is forbidden in some progressive/liberal states, because they don't meet health and safety stringent rules for commercial kitchens, just use home kitchens. (Better they sleep in filthy tents and eat salvaged garbage in the eyes of progressive/liberals - than to take anything from the conservative religious)

This is completely untrue. The biggest homeless outreach in San Francisco are all churches/religious institutions. Every Saturday the churches feed people at different spots in the worst neighborhoods. The food pantries I used when I was down on my luck were all through churches. Every day of the week there are religious organizations set up at the civic center on Market st feeding people. Also, food not bombs has a daily program of free food and the local Buddhist temple has a really good Thursday night set up at the civic center to feed people.

In my conservative, very conservative middle size city we don't have this problem and we don't have concentration camps.

You’re in a middle sized city. That’s the difference. Not some compassionate conservative bs.

The progressive/liberals just look at them and say: poor poor person, we'll let you freeze to death if that's what you choose; we'll forbid the religious from feeding you or helping you so they don't bother you; we'll let you lie on the street nearly dead from drugs/alcohol and not take the needle out of your arm; we'll let you steep in garbage because you can't afford a trash collector and get nasty diseases from the garbage if that is what you choose; after all we are the compassionate caring ones. Who don't want to get our hands dirty.

This is a lie. If you actually spent any time on the streets in these places you claim to know you’d realize how completely untrue that is. It’s extremely bad taste to try to politicize these problems. And the fact you’re trying to do that says everything about your motivations.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Spot on! Excellent post, and perfectly put. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
My simple snarky solution to the homeless problem would be to say, go back to a time where there weren't homeless and reproduce the laws and standards then.

But that's the issue.

There have always been homeless in society.

We have tried "all" the solutions. Housing, soup kitchens, shelters, jobs programs.

We have to look at now, what laws are being created that perpetuate homelessness.

There's a fine line between enabling the homeless population and helping the homeless.

We can't start weaponizing compassion and hold hostage society for the sake of the homeless.

Help them if you can, if you want, but no one should be forced, punished, compelled or taxed to help them.

The cities with huge homeless populations? The easy answer would be to move, the hard answer would be to endure if you can't move.

There will always be homeless because there's always been homeless.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
San Franfeces issues is purely tied to liberal politics. Think about the cities where this homeless crisis is out of control and what they have in common - Portland, Seattle, San Franceses, and LA. Here is a guess, it ain't the weather.

I didn't get around to it, but was going to do a thread about Austin, TX. I saw an article the other day regarding how Austin, TX is now starting to experience some of the same issues. IIRC, their homeless population has doubled and the local liberal politicians are allowing people to camp on sidewalks in public areas. Basically, the decriminalized a lot of the behaviors and surprise, surprise, they are getting more of it.

For those that don't know, Austin, TX is a very hippy / blue city in the middle of a red Texas. The cities slogan is "keep Austin weird." It is very "Portland" like in culture.

Austin Homeless Can Now Camp Legally on Sidewalks

I live in a very liberal community in Chicago. I'm seeing the same thing. Homeless feeling emboldened to just camp out in public and hang around. It is slowly but surely starting to affect the quality of life of the actual productive citizens in the town.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
im amazed these losers think camping out is a solution.

why do they not just get a gig at target and get a studio apartment in idaho?

i saw some scumbag going thru garbage bags in nyc, and just ripping them open and throwing the trash everywhere. i said hey you cant do that. he ignored me. then i said hey @$$hole, you cant do that. he stopped, gave me his 'scary glare' and kept ripping bags. im a former bouncer, he is not scaring me lol. i said all that garbage goes to the rivers and oceans now. of course he was just trying to get enough cans to buy his fix for the night. 25 years old, white guy.

i tried to find a cop, but i could not see any. then when i saw a parked police car, the guy was already off the block, but he had ripped open at least 10 bags of garbage.

when he gave me the glare, i realized, oh you not only think you are right, but you are crazy.

it sucks, the homeless idiots need counseling as well.

it makes no sense they do not want a small studio somewhere. and working at target in idaho can afford that.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna

i saw some scumbag going thru garbage bags in nyc, and just ripping them open and throwing the trash everywhere. i said hey you cant do that. he ignored me. then i said hey @$$hole, you cant do that. he stopped, gave me his 'scary glare' and kept ripping bags. im a former bouncer, he is not scaring me lol. i said all that garbage goes to the rivers and oceans now. of course he was just trying to get enough cans to buy his fix for the night. 25 years old, white guy.

i tried to find a cop, but i could not see any. then when i saw a parked police car, the guy was already off the block, but he had ripped open at least 10 bags of garbage.

when he gave me the glare, i realized, oh you not only think you are right, but you are crazy.

it sucks, the homeless idiots need counseling as well.

it makes no sense they do not want a small studio somewhere. and working at target in idaho can afford that.

The problem is liberals treat the symptom, not the actual disease. They are really bad at recognizing causes and effects. For example, liberals largely treat homelessness as an 'affordability" problem. It isn't.

Chronic homelessness is because of drug addiction and mental illness. The vast majority of the people camping out under bridges and tents on sidewalks would be out there regardless. They simply can't function in society. There is no amount of free food, needles, single occupancy studios, affordable housing programs or anything that will get these people off the streets.

I hate to be all Gestapo about it, but you literally would have to forcibly remove these people from the streets and institutionalize them.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Most of those losers are homeless due to mental health issues. But it's nice to see an empathetic soul such as yourself recognizing this.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
My simple snarky solution to the homeless problem would be to say, go back to a time where there weren't homeless and reproduce the laws and standards then.

But that's the issue.

There have always been homeless in society.

We have tried "all" the solutions. Housing, soup kitchens, shelters, jobs programs.

We have to look at now, what laws are being created that perpetuate homelessness.

There's a fine line between enabling the homeless population and helping the homeless.

We can't start weaponizing compassion and hold hostage society for the sake of the homeless.

Help them if you can, if you want, but no one should be forced, punished, compelled or taxed to help them.

The cities with huge homeless populations? The easy answer would be to move, the hard answer would be to endure if you can't move.

There will always be homeless because there's always been homeless.

I look at it like this. The homeless are like pigeons. You have signs in the park saying don't feed the pigeons for a reason. You attract more of them.

I have no problem helping the indigent, but government should not make being indigent easy. Any charity should be done locally - churches and other organizations. At the local level, you can better manage the money more efficiently and provide more individualized service.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Most of those losers are homeless due to mental health issues. But it's nice to see an empathetic soul such as yourself recognizing this.

So do you favor bringing back forced institutionalization at loony hospitals?

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
So do you favor bringing back forced institutionalization at loony hospitals?

I don't think that's the answer either in most cases. It's a really complex issue and we need to explore all aspects; de-stigmatization, better recognition and treatment methods, use of technology, etc.

The above poster's ignorant comments help no one. People with mental health issues certainly don't want them or the resultant homelessness that may accompany their situation.

edit on 16-11-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   
California’s economy is the world’s fifth largest.

California is the most populous US State.

San Francisco is the second highest population density by city in the United States (superseded by NYC).

Source

San Francisco has the second highest household income by population density in the United States (superseded by San Jose).

Source

You can look up the first two on your own; I consider them accepted facts or common knowledge.

Population density creates the problems we see in CA particularly in San Francisco. See also New York City, Chicago, etc.

Contrary to the ridiculous comments in this thread, California’s “problem” is that its economy is too good.
edit on 16-11-2019 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
What do you do with the elderly and disabled who can't work? In these cities there is no place for these people to go.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I spent a good few years being homeless and out of work. I used to camp out bush though, rather than sleep in the streets. So it might of had the appearance of an alternative lifestyle, rather than the traditional perception of homelessness.

But never the less, it was still essentially homeless.

Thing is, you'd think it'd be just as easy as just hooking up a job to get out of, but it ain't always that way for some people... Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the hardest workers you'll ever come across. Working to pure exhaustion is like a drug to me.

But how do you hook up decent paying full time employment when the stress of just walking into an interview is going to cause you to literally start dripping in sweat and send you into a full on panic attack? Its like your logic is still there and your asking yourself "whats the issue here dude, just settle the f# down"... but your body just seems to have a mind to itself and won't comply!

But anyway, we're all individuals who have our own set of problems and difficulties in life... and you could never really understand what some else was going though unless it was possible to live a few days in there shoes (aka mind or body).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, just be thankful for what you have and maybe try to show compassion for those who have less, rather than contempt and judgement... Because you could never truly understand what there really going though.
edit on 16-11-2019 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeenieWeenie
What do you do with the elderly and disabled who can't work? In these cities there is no place for these people to go.

You have to look at the types of homeless. A big problem is that you cannot treat all the classifications the same.

Temporary Homeless: This is often the women and children. They may experience homelessness for a short period. Woman leaves boyfriend and may need to stay in a shelter for a few days. They may still be employed. In most of these cases, these people are served by churches, shelters, etc.

Chronic Homeless: These are the folks who you see camped out under bridges, tent cities, etc. Many of these people have been homeless for years. The vast majority are severe drug addicts and mentally unstable. They simply cannot function in society. They can't hold jobs. All they can do is exist to get their next fix. This is the group that most people think about when you say homeless.

San Fran and other cities are being overrun with chronic homeless.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
California’s economy is the world’s fifth largest.

California is the most populous US State.

San Francisco is the second highest population density by city in the United States (superseded by NYC).

Source

San Francisco has the second highest household income by population density in the United States (superseded by San Jose).

Source

You can look up the first two on your own; I consider them accepted facts or common knowledge.

Population density creates the problems we see in CA particularly in San Francisco. See also New York City, Chicago, etc.

Contrary to the ridiculous comments in this thread, California’s “problem” is that its economy is too good.

Please explain how a booming economy leads to strung out heroin addicts sleeping on the street....

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
San Franfeces issues is purely tied to liberal politics. Think about the cities where this homeless crisis is out of control and what they have in common - Portland, Seattle, San Franceses, and LA. Here is a guess, it ain't the weather.

I didn't get around to it, but was going to do a thread about Austin, TX. I saw an article the other day regarding how Austin, TX is now starting to experience some of the same issues. IIRC, their homeless population has doubled and the local liberal politicians are allowing people to camp on sidewalks in public areas. Basically, the decriminalized a lot of the behaviors and surprise, surprise, they are getting more of it.

I live in Austin. The city council allowed public camping to prove a point. To stop sweeping the homeless problem under the rug. These people used to have to sleep out in the woods somewhere in constant danger. While the council is working on making housing available (they just purchased a hotel to see how that goes), people can sleep out in the open in safety. It's much safer to sleep under a lighted freeway bridge than out in the woods. It's impossible for someone on ssi to get an apartment when the max check is $771 a month. There is a HUGE lack of mental health services and discrimination by the police department which was just proven to deny people with mental illnesses their basic human rights. (1/3 of the people cops killed last year had mental illnesses). There's also the fact that there are MANY illegals here and this is a sanctuary city. I'm about to lose my house because of the high property taxes are more than my disability check. Once can have a quarter million dollars in this town and still be homeless.
The homeless are also reqesting that the city provide dumpsters and trash bags so that they can clean up their own garbage.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The national economy is NOT booming.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

The drug addicts are CHOOSING it.

The mentally ill were BORN with it.

There is a huge difference. The mentally ill need treatment and hospitals and our compassion just like any other brain disorder/disease.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Short answer: correlation is not causation.

Better answer: You know as well as I do that’s a loaded question, and if I may say so, a foolish one because of fallacious construction.

My answer; The presence of a homeless drug addict does not negate economic facts; it’s an appeal to emotion.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's ok.

It wouldn't take much fact checking on your part to figure out what city it is. You just don't want to believe me, and I understand that.

Perhaps that is good you don't want to take the time to research and figure out what city it is, we don't want fleeing liberals to bring their cesspool creating policies with them.

I'm not going to try and convince you since you could do a handful of research and figure it out for yourself.

Don't expect me to publicize where I live, that is dangerous in this day and age of liberals hunting and beating conservatives. To date around 600 people have been beaten for what? Wearing a MAGA hat. That is so frightening that I would not let any liberal I debate with on this or any forum know where I live. I know what I am saying is true and that's all that matters to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join