It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some Feedback Please ...Writing Contest

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer
Hey, Gordi.....great to see you!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2019 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Hey, Gordi.....great to see you!!!

Back atya with sparkly tinsel on!

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

This may be off topic to the op but to be fair, the thread is titled feedback so...

Can we please never do the fifty words thing again?

Maybe it's just me and if so I'll bite, but I really feel like for something to actually be a story- that is, for it to convey a meaningful passage of experience through some narration of event or perception- it needs more than 50 words. Like, I saw so many entries in those contests that were just mangled and neutered...

It admittedly WAS a great challenge and I'm not in any way trying to decry or denouce the idea or persons involved. In fact, the only thing that was able to turn my three short sentences into a story, imo, was the poem format simply because poetry reflects a stream of consciousness.

But that's exactly my point, 50 words is the bare minimum, it's barely even two frames. Would you call two scenes a movie, or two pages a book? There's simply no room for a beginning a middle and an end, not room even for a proper juxtaposition... Explanation and admiration admittedly can be expressed but it's like having to mangle yourself as I said. Since anything of any breadth simply cannot be discussed and even a concept can hardly manage to be defined if it has any complexity at all.

edit on 5-12-2019 by LucidWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior
Thanks for your thoughts on the very short format contest.

I won't say they'll never happen again....because they have attracted members to enter. They probably can happen again....if infrequently.

I think most people like to read stories with more meat, and that will be the more common format.
But sometimes, less is more.

edit on Sat Dec 7 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: Clarity

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I'm not against the idea of Brevity for the occasional contest themes. Just, a bit aggravated with the particular number. Maybe 75 or a hundred would be palatable for a very short story contest, whilst allowing breathing room for the, expressive, part of creativity?

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 12:23 AM
link   

IMO open it now and close it the end of January.. That will give everyone plenty of time; especially those who need and want to hide from the in laws because of an important deadline !

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

Or, maybe do a 100 once in awhile, and then a 50...something to try.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

That is something that has crossed my mind.
If time permits, I'll try to do that.
Might be a good test to see whether that time frame works, as IMO interest wanes after too many days....at least that was my experience in the Avatar Contests.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Hey I am late to the party but I would appreciate it too, if we could wait a bit after the holidays until closing the contest.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join