It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nobel-winning Scientist: I Have No Idea If The Big Bang Happened!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
The Big Bang theory never made sense to me...

Why?

Observational data as far as we can see into the distance and past says that the universe has been expanding.

Now you simply extrapolate from that and arrive at a point in the past where it must have been tiny, a singularity.

Are we allowed to make that extrapolation? The data so far says yes.

Anything beyond that is speculation.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

I think the Big Bang not making sense to people is more of a regularity than an abnormality. So, if the whole universe started from a tiny singular point. What housed that singular point? Those are the questions I ask myself when thinking about the Big Bang.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Scientists say that the observable universe is about 93 billion light years across. If that be the case how is it that the so called big bang occured only 13.2 billion years ago?

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   
There was no "bang"
Just the Great Expansion once the "god particle" was formed to give particles mass and thus , gravity .

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrionHunterX
Scientists say that the observable universe is about 93 billion light years across. If that be the case how is it that the so called big bang occured only 13.2 billion years ago?

While the speed of light is the limiting speed of things IN the universe, the idea of inflation says that the fabric OF the universe itself was allowed to stretch faster than the speed of light.

If two cars move away from each other at 50 mph each, they will be 100 miles apart after 1 hour. However, if the road they rode on were elastic and able to stretch as the cars moved, the two cars would be more than 100 miles away from each other after 1 hour, even though the cars only went 50 mph. That's because the road between them stretched.

edit on 11/15/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I think the big bang happened.

And the biggest reason is black holes.

Black holes suck everything in, and when they get full.

They spit everything back out really fast!

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I actually like the electric universe theory better than the conventional theory. Both have flaws or unknowns though..

There is no way in hell we could even start to determine if the big bang theory occurred from this point in space within our universe. It does not stop many scientists from creating consensus of the time, a belief and not really factual, to form a theory of how it was formed. There is a slight chance they are right, but I cannot believe that any being from within the universe could actually determine how it was truely formed. Just because they have collected some evidence to show the theory is real does not mean anything.

The thing is it really does not matter how it was formed, I accept that. I would rather they spent their time observing how to lessen the negative impact we make on our environment. By building rockets to put technology into orbit to determine how it was possibly formed, they are actually increases negative environmental impact. If they put technology into space to study how to help this planet, that is acceptable.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ColonelSF

Maybe the singularity you mention smaller than the top of a needle was something like a seed, all the info stored in it to grow a universe, or explode In to one maybe? I dont know that I buy into the big bang but I do know small things can end up big.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: OrionHunterX

Everything out of nothin.

What do you have against Scientism™ ?
All they ask for is one miracle, then they can explain everything, supposedly.

What can go faster than light ? Supposedly nothin.
During 'Cosmic-Inflation™': supposedly everything moved faster-than-light...
Hasn't anyone ever thought about that ?
Argh: they probably have some exceptional Scientism™ explanation for it.

Oh well: make it two miracles, to go please.

( PS: nice to see you used the word "believe", to go-along with the BBT™, because that's what it seems to require. )

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

How can they determine the age of a star? We don't even know if the Earth is 4.5 billion years old.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

originally posted by: ColonelSF

This huge huge universe came into existence from a single point smaller than the tip of a needle - a singularity?? Does one really believe this? If so, shouldn't all matter be entangled? Could the Bang have occurred even though time did not exist?

No I do not. What banged? And more importantly, where did it bang? You can't get something from nothing.

From scientists. Hollywood is 2nd best at creating Sci-fi Fantasy.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Meh.. We just try too hard to figure out how we got here and why. Same with the universe.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

The Big Bang is old news, meh I think that black holes exist in the center of spiral galaxies, they are the engine that sucks matter and spit out stars, these create planets, moons and so on....when the black hole dies for whatever reason the galaxy becomes a cluster and dies....

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrionHunterX
"His main beef, according to Agence France-Presse, is that there’s no good way to test whether such a thing actually happened — cosmologists have evidence of a rapid outward expansion, but not anything as discrete as a singular point that detonated to create everything in the universe."
It sounds to me like he's discarding an idea of a singularity that was discarded by the mainstream community 40 years or so ago:

There Was No Big Bang Singularity

..."a singularity,"...

But this picture isn't just wrong, it's nearly 40 years out of date! We are absolutely certain there was no singularity associated with the hot Big Bang, and there may not have even been a birth to space and time at all. Here's what we know and how we know it...

Every time you see a diagram, an article, or a story talking about the "big bang singularity" or any sort of big bang/singularity existing before inflation, know that you're dealing with an outdated method of thinking. The idea of a Big Bang singularity went out the window as soon as we realized we had a different state — that of cosmic inflation — preceding and setting up the early, hot-and-dense state of the Big Bang.

As for me I'll hang on to the more 'logical' Steady State theory where the universe always existed in time expanding and contracting in space and time. We mortals can only think in 3 dimensions maybe 4 if one takes time into account.
In spite of the fact evidence does not favor your idea?

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Bigburgh

originally posted by: ColonelSF

This huge huge universe came into existence from a single point smaller than the tip of a needle - a singularity?? Does one really believe this? If so, shouldn't all matter be entangled? Could the Bang have occurred even though time did not exist?

No I do not. What banged? And more importantly, where did it bang? You can't get something from nothing.

I banged a hottie last night, I got more than something out of that.

You might need to see a doctor then..

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

No doctor can cure me, a priest that performs exorcisms maybe.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   

This

Nobel-winning Scientist: I Have No Idea If The Big Bang Happened!
page: 1

is not information.
No one has any idea what happened because the oracle is giving
us the silent treatment.

edit on 15-11-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   
"Big Bang is the most plausible explanation..."

This is true, based on what we know to be facts in the physical universe as we can observe them. One of these facts is an explosion casts matter outward from the origin of the explosion. We observe this motion and reach that conclusion.

Sort of like when someone farts in an elevator--except you first have to wait for the doors to open.

Science is fascinating!

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:47 AM
link   

H > E

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Methanol is the new green rocket fuel.

<< 1    3 >>

join