It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nobel-winning Scientist: I Have No Idea If The Big Bang Happened!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Nobel-winning cosmologist James Peebles has a bone to pick with the scientific community: he wants the world to stop referring to the earliest moments of our universe as the “Big Bang.”

His main beef, according to Agence France-Presse, is that there’s no good way to test whether such a thing actually happened — cosmologists have evidence of a rapid outward expansion, but not anything as discrete as a singular point that detonated to create everything in the universe.

“It’s very unfortunate that one thinks of the beginning whereas in fact, we have no good theory of such a thing as the beginning,” he told AFP.

Peebles doesn’t have an alternative to the Big Bang theory to propose, but that’s his exact point: without sufficient data, scientists shouldn’t assume a convenient hypothesis is correct.

“We don’t have a strong test of what happened earlier in time,” Peebles told AFP. “We have theories, but not tested.”

But Peebles isn’t quite ready to die on this hill — he concedes that in the absence of a better way to describe the beginning of the universe, “Big Bang” does just fine.

“I have given up,” he told AFP, “I use Big Bang, I dislike it.”

Well, it is a fact that this is just a theory!! There's the electric universe theory too and another one known as the Steady State theory. There could be another one down the line! Heck, even black holes are theory. It's just a deduction from assumptions! Will we ever know how this universe came into being? That's the million dollar question if ever there was one!

Because a star older than the Universe has been discovered which is threatening to throw the Big Bang theory out of the window! The well-accepted model is now under the microscope after a team of researchers found a star which appears to be older than the cosmos!! The star know as “Methuselah star”, or scientifically called HD 140283, is situated about 200 light years away and some 0.7 billion years older than the Universe!!

As for me I'll hang on to the more 'logical' Steady State theory where the universe always existed in time expanding and contracting in space and time. We mortals can only think in 3 dimensions maybe 4 if one takes time into account. But there could be more dimensions which we may never understand in our present state of evolution. It's only then will we be able to unravel some of the mysteries befuddling us.

futurism.com... _eid=74f0480df7&utm_source=The%20Future%20Is&utm_campaign=1fbfb7bce1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_11_14_06_32
edit on 11/15/2019 by semperfortis because: Corrected all CAPS

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: OrionHunterX

This huge huge universe came into existence from a single point smaller than the tip of a needle - a singularity?? Does one really believe this? If so, shouldn't all matter be entangled? Could the Bang have occurred even though time did not exist?

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColonelSF

This huge huge universe came into existence from a single point smaller than the tip of a needle - a singularity?? Does one really believe this? If so, shouldn't all matter be entangled? Could the Bang have occurred even though time did not exist?

No I do not. What banged? And more importantly, where did it bang? You can't get something from nothing.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

No I do not. What banged? And more importantly, where did it bang? You can't get something from nothing.

I banged a hottie last night, I got more than something out of that.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Its the best theory yet.

It met a lot of milestones every time something new has been found in astronomy.

It has some difficulties, mostly with Inflation or the CP-violation, but nobody has found a better explanation for all the effects we measured, yet.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 01:56 AM
link   

That argument is wrong, even with these simple words.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 02:10 AM
link   

You can't get something from nothing.

If there was never nothing, that means there was always something.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Hmm.. good point.

Let's leave out "no I do not".

Now we're left with a particle that exploded. Where did it explode in the Multiverse?

Where is the containment unit for our one universe? And what contains the containment unit? And so on and so on..

It's very hard to wrap my head around, and I'm seeing why a large group of humanity take a shortcut and say "must be God".

Then I sit hear and ask... what contains God's home then?

Why do sub atomic particles mimic thought?

It's 315am and need to get up early.

The universe could just be a quark within an atom and infinity.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Personally I have tried to process the big bang theory and I keep coming up with there was a medium that Existed before the ingredients were added that caused a great expansion...or Big bang.

This medium basically Existed in theory and some other material was added to it that caused chemical and physical changes to the medium and what was added.

That added material began to interact with the medium somewhat like antimatter and matter would interact if matter was dropped into a antimatter pool🤔
As both the preexisting medium and the added material continue to interact expand and bond, this universe was created from materials from both the medium and added materials in theory.

So in theory part of the unobservable universe that appears to be nothing but dark energy (or not fully understood energy) is or would be material used when combined with the added material wherever that comes from😏 to make the universe.
This interaction in theory does allow for a small amount of something, to be added to and then be pulled apart by a vast amount of something else causing in theory a Big bang like process or great expanse of the materials that mixed which make up both the observable and unobservable universe...

Just a personal analysis after studying how particle accelerators like the LHC work by first building the medium then adding the particles to move through the medium. In theory the beam of the LHC would have to be made to carry materials in it, then add the colliding or seperating protons that would not only interact with the speed of the LHC beam but also interact with the beam materials. This type of experiment may yield different results and even particles...

Stay Bright
NAMASTE*******

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Outtabox visual-
Visualize multiple universes in tanks, like fish tanks in a room. Sometimes things jump/move from tank to tank and sometimes things are moved from tank to tank.
In theory what is the space outside of the tanks?
And what would that space be considered if space or universes were inside the tanks? Exterior Universe?
Last what would it be that moves stuff from tank to tank😂

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Personally I have tried to process the big bang theory and I keep coming up with there was a medium that Existed before the ingredients were added that caused a great expansion...or Big bang.

Precisely what I'm saying

And replies are not working again.
Ophiuchus13

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

That's the most logical in my opinion. There was never a beginning, nor an end.

We are a result of an infinitesimal causation of expansion and contraction.

We have a periodic table of elements, but my smart friends have told me the elements involved in black holes are theoretical

This to me is what makes science fun,, investigating what is real and what isn't, then there's the bogus science trying to discredit discoveries, and yeah

Ever since I learned a little bit about electrons, neutrons, and protons I had a love for science, and i hope some take the time to learn what our building blocks are0

Great thread

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; energy can only be transferred or changed from one form to another. ... In other words, energy cannot be created or destroyed.

Transferred from what?

I sure cannot answer that. But it came from somewhere.

Edit: and if it can't be created or destroyed... is it a constant? Which exist from what?
edit on 15-11-2019 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Big Bang is the most plausible explanation with the most evidence to back it up. If someday there is a better explanation with stronger evidence then that will be leading theory.

There is so much we still don't know like what is dark matter. Scientists have been able to detect and measure the amounts in other galaxies. Not all have it like ours or I think it was said we have very little like a hundred tons in our solar system at most. Maybe it is the secret ingredient that is needed for the start of life.

As far as the singularity before the big bang I don't remember anyone claiming to know what its size was. Someone said it was a pinprick if that is excepted science I would love a link to it.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Another thing at the quantum level, matter and antimatter particles are constantly popping into existence and popping back out of existence. The laws of thermodynamics seem to work differently at that level.

Food for thought.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

DAMNIT now you got me thinking of Oxidative phosphorylation.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   
The Big Bang theory never made sense to me, so I have always thought we’re part of some microscopic cell on another living organism moving around in their own reality.
edit on 15-11-2019 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Just like the theory of evolution.

Though it pisses people off if you point that out.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   
So, when referring to the beginning of the Universe/Multiverse one should be silent and stare off into space?

Sounds like a semantic argument a Zen monk might agree with, LOL.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   

The standard big bang theory does not attempt to say what banged or what the singularity was. It does not claim the universe came from nothing.

The Big bang only attempts to described is how the universe formed immediately AFTER whatever banged. It describes the growth of the universe from what appears to be a tiny point, but even big bang scientists admit that our math and physics breaks down when trying to describe a singularity-like point.

So the standard Big Bang theory has always known this limitation about not knowing "what banged?" or "why it banged?" and "what was going on before it banged?"

Although "where did it bang?" is answered by the theory. It banged everywhere. According to the theory, every part of the known universe expanded at the same time, so every part was the location of the big bang.

edit on 11/15/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join