It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rural people are bad and make bad decisions

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

His "efficiency " sounds to me like profit margin.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   
So this philosopher subscribes Walt Disney's style of living.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

Fair enough, I'm still learning how to ignore idiots, I'm getting there slowly and is why I pointed that out, for my own benefit as well.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This guy is right. Absolutely evil to have all those animals in the rural areas just defecating just anywhere and everywhere. Certainly must be pure evil unlike the perfect order across the bay in San Francisco. I bet those evil rural people get attacked walking around by coyotes and bobcats. Unlike in Oakland directly south of Berkeley where you can walk around with a big wad of cash at three in the morning if you want.

Just evil.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

So some idiot has an idiotic opinion and you're pissed off about it, why not just ignore it and use your energy for something that makes you happy.

He's not just any idiot. He's a Berkeley professor idiot. I know we don't need reminders that most of them are nuts but he's the one that made a public statement. All's fare and all that.

I doubt it's so much about being pissed off but just shocked that people like this exist.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I say people live where it suits them and continue to work together, with one group providing for the needs of the cities and the others consuming what rural America produces for them. It's a symbiotic relationship that works and works well. Even the Mayans and ancient cultures understood the relationship. Not this guy apparently.

His philosophy does not pass the smell test, so perhaps Berkeley needs to rethink his teaching people. Philosophy without knowledge and critical thinking skills is just random ranting based on emotions.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Dude I'm bad where ever I go!

edit on 14-11-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Yes, that's the one.

Man, you are quick.

I'll go back later and read the entire article.

I am going to watch Tucker Carlson, with the rest of the uneducated rural people of America. 😉

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

There's 7 billion people on the planet, 350 million or so in America, I'd hazard a guess he's one of many many idiots out there.

Now he's outed himself, knowing this people should have the gumption to choose somewhere else to be educated, it's a good thing really now people know what he stands for.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: zeta55

Enjoy your evening

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Well said.

I might be a small town bumpkin now, but I was raised in a town of 150k, in between Milwaukee and chicago.

I've had my share of it, and can't find peace there anymore, therefore I came to be in a town of 650.

Weather can be brutal here, as well as the nature, but it's a place I can breathe.

And I get to play in the woods with my family, which to me is as close to heaven as ill ever get.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I can walk out and piss off my back porch. Beat that.
:

Big deal - city folk piss on the sidewalks. We try and see how many turds and used needles we can hit.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

You sure opened a can of worms here, so I will add to it. Cost. What does it cost to run utilities to a sub division compared to a home ten miles out of town? Do they pay extra to run and maintain these rural services? Clearing snow through out town whats the cost compared to plowing 10 miles of road so a person can get to their rural home? Do they pay extra in taxes? No that would be unfair.

Admittedly, Ihad to stop here in this thread. Real experience amongst me vs other family. Rural properties, roads and communities are always last to receive assistance. They do understand that the freedom of benefits outweighs the minor gamble on conveniences.

True, they may bitch...but hey, they are there because the freedom/ liberty overall is worth it. They understand it. I have family who wait 3 weeks twice a year to just get electricity restored.

Utilities / government always focus on urban populations to ensure the most people are resolved. I am lucky enough to be urban but have multimillion dollar businesses near enough to ensure my rural utilities and road service is taken care of by authorities. My family and friends come to me for assistance. Freezer, heat, electricity, he'll even cable. We just happen to be lucky enough to be in between and inline with urban and somewhere important.

My daughter just around the corner waits 2 weeks. Side street not important.

To the point of your post. Utilities really don't cost more if the property owners have already paid to have the lines installed or roads built. They are there already or paid by the property owners at first. Maintenance is no different than any other service, except rural may actually cost less to maintain.

It is all numbers, population approval. In the end the rural pays more than urban and gets less function for their costs. They don't scream bloody murder since most realize that they have freedom.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Due to work, I've lived in the largest West Coast cities and I've lived in small towns. I was raised rural and I most certainly prefer small communities. I'm really uncomfortable living in Anchorage, Alaska for work but at least here, I'm literally minutes away from wilderness when I need to get it on me.

My preferred places are small towns within a 90 minute drive of a city. Best of both worlds.

I've always lived in a house because I just can't come to grips with apartments or condo's. Even here in a city of 300,000, I live in a house with a stream behind me and a green belt and large yard. As close as I can come to rural right now, so I live with it.

Isn't it odd how seldom we read things from people who actually want to just get along with each other and stop the craziness?

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

Here in my area, we pay mighty high fees for electric, due to the expenses of being rural.
Were also out of luck for a while if power goes out.
But our taxes sure as hell aren't low, and they don't seem to pave our roads, or highways very often.
As for snow, we mostly clear it ourselves, and the culverts too.

It's a lot of work to be rural, it aint for everyone.

But the 6 deer looking at me right now, eating my corn/oats/hay are pretty glad I'm here.
As are the turkey that will come through in the morning to eat whatever bugs they can pick out of my slab and sawdust from my sawmill.

Which reminds me , I gotta go refill my woodstove.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

“I unironically embrace the bashing of rural Americans. they, as a group, are bad people who have made bad life decisions,” Kernion wrote.

“Some, I assume, are good people. But this nostalgia for some imagined pastoral way of life is stupid, and we should shame people who aren’t pro-city.”

He seems like an idiot, doesn't he?

Of course, I feel the exact same way about rural people who heap scorn backed by lazy generalizations on city folk.
edit on 14-11-2019 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   
If you all are having trouble with outages and snow removal it;s all due to you all being in the county jurisdiction. Consider the difference between the city services in power outage and road maintenance. I live on a unpaved street which need to be grated about every two weeks from the city, now if I lived in the rural area controlled by the county I doubt that the road would get grated every six months.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

“I unironically embrace the bashing of rural Americans. they, as a group, are bad people who have made bad life decisions,” Kernion wrote.

“Some, I assume, are good people. But this nostalgia for some imagined pastoral way of life is stupid, and we should shame people who aren’t pro-city.”

He seems like an idiot, doesn't he?

Of course, I feel the exact same way about rural people who heap scorn backed by lazy generalizations on city folk.

Boom, that's a drop Mic moment right there.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   

There is also the snobbery of thinking that just because you live a certain way and it works for you that it's somehow morally superior. Obviously, this Berkeley moron thinks only city living is the moral way to be.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Well...in all fairness those in a big city like say San Francisco can poop AND pee on the sidewalk in front of their tall glass and concrete dwellings so they would consider that a leg up on you.

This guy is an idiot and he realized what he said was stupid and did backtrack a little after his tweet. It's no doubt the way some actually think but also a sign of the times, tweet without actually thinking about what you are saying and end up looking like a jackbutt.

Beginning to think, they should have a delay built into tweeter so you have time to think about it first. I don't do tweeter but almost everyday somebody tweets stupidity so no one should be surprised. Just another somebody who is irrelevant attempting to get attention

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join