It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio House bill 164 Students wrong answers are right if it's their religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Passed in the house, going to senate right now.
www.patheos.com...

The Ohio House on Wednesday passed the “Student Religious Liberties Act.” Under the law, students can’t be penalized if their work is scientifically wrong as long as the reasoning is because of their religious beliefs.

Wellll shucks, I went to school at the wrong time. I would create and register a religion called all wrong answers are the correct answer. I would ask for a hefty donation to come and worship in the house of all wrong answers are the correct answers.
Every time I got a bad grade I would show the administration that I am actually following my religion. If there is a clever student out there, they would do this. Too bad it takes years of the harsh realities of the world to be this cynical and conniving.

On a serious note, what the heck is Ohio thinking?
I agree with most portions of this bill. Yes I do agree religious students should be able to gather.
They should be able to read a bible, and pray. Good good.

When you involve teachers, and curriculum and grading, that's another story. How the heck is a teacher going to know what is religion or
what is just a wrong answer. There is no way. This is crazy. Can you even imagine what a science class is going to look like. Hope they don't study any fossils!

edit on 14-11-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The answers part might be an exaggeration and focused more on science questions about where life came from. That one I'm questionable on though as far as the scope.

The other parts seem fine though. Want to schedule a group, I don't see the problem.

Expressing religious beliefs at school? Cool, if it's optional and doesn't interrupt anything I think that's great. It shouldn't bother anyone unless they're not convicted in their own beliefs.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Religion says we were created by a Devin being, science says we crawled out of pond scum. Pretty easy to see which is which.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

Religion says we were created by a Devin being, science says we crawled out of pond scum. Pretty easy to see which is which.

Both could be true. There could be a creator who made things so they evolve.

Who knows.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Pope Paul V has been reincarnated as the speaker of the Ohio house of representatives it seems.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   
What, are we living in Quantum now? That must be it. They're getting them ready for a quantum world.... right?

Alright people... If every smart person left out there doesn't believe in the end of the world, then they're driving this bus along with the other lunies.

Well, it's the end of someone's world.

Just what do we do with this kind of information? Is it even worth the effort asking? Seriously... Being 100% honest here. We're going to end up like the movie Idiocracy. Just wow!

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Big Religion sticking its nose in, wiggling around. First it's abortion, something lots of people feel a way about, then it's school, next it's your entertainment, your home.

Glad I live in a truly secular society where peoples personal lives are personal and cults aren't catered to when tax dollars are at play.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

The answers part might be an exaggeration and focused more on science questions about where life came from. That one I'm questionable on though as far as the scope.

It's not about one single question, it's about all answers.
Read the bill,

Assignment grades and scores shall be calculated
using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance,
including any legitimate pedagogical concerns, and shall not
penalize or reward a student based on the religious content of a
student's work.

That last part:

based on the religious content of a
student's work.

If the students religion believe it, you can't mark it wrong. If they think the earth is 200 years old, it's 200 years old.

shall not
penalize

edit on 14-11-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   

It's following along the path established already in Common Core math which says that students will already get partial credit with a wrong answer so long as they show the process, but if they just show the right answer and no process, they get no points at all.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I believe in a prime mover who perhaps uses evolution as the process for Its creation. Honestly, there is no certainty about how we were created so any answer is essentially an act of faith regardless of its basis in science or religion.
edit on 2019/11/14 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Anyone read the bill?
I just heard from someone saying it allows science to be used in place of religion, that verifiable scientific answers are ok, as well as evolution being a concept that can be used without punishment.
Thats like a complete 180 from this story.thanks

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   

This is going to be devastating for those kids once they get into the job market.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

This is going to be devastating for those kids once they get into the job market.

How is that? Is it they will need to compromise their religion to fit in?

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Way back in high school, Mrs. Steck was discussing Avogadro’s number while I was busy chatting. Frustrated she threw out the old “Would I like to teach or shall she continue.” Looked up at the chalkboard and sarcastically said, “Avogadro’s number? I might as well since you don’t know your mass from a mole in the ground.” But said it in such a way as to be confused as to what I said to the very distraught gasps of those that misunderstood. She and I both busted up laughing at the same time as she caught what I said.

Mrs. Steck was a great teacher that died way too soon in a car accident. She would have said that God allows the chemical reaction to work this way so you are still wrong.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   

When I was in college, Geology 101, there were a group of Christian students that were always disrupting the class with biblical arguments of how Noah's flood did "this and that", not melting glaciers from an ice age, and other such creationist arguments.

It was really frustrating for students there to learn about geology and for the teacher trying to get through a lecture.

I'm opposed to this bill.

edit on 14-11-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   
As it is said in the Quran 15:28 "And [mention, O Muhammad], when your Lord said to the angels, "I will create a human being out of clay from an altered black mud."

people really need to stop being Islamophobic

Also per the Quran, there are only two genders. Can you imagine if you put that down in some schools, that would create a poop storm. Now when teachers ignore real science, at least they cannot mark it wrong because Islomaphobia is worse than following pseudo-science/cult religion of multiple and fluid genders.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Yea.. They really shouldn't be able to create their own reality.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Yeah, how dare the religious do it, but it's perfectly OK for any man who prefers we all believe he's a woman and vice versa.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Yeah, how dare the religious do it, but it's perfectly OK for any man who prefers we all believe he's a woman and vice versa.

I'm saying they shouldn't just be able to answer any question how they want due to religion.

A very small percentage of school is anything to do with the question of life.

Math, English, 99% of history (taught) have nothing to do with it.

I saw nothing wrong with the bill unless kids want to dispute all their classes based off of religion.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Welcome to the conception of Dark Ages 2.0.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join