It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 6 hurt in Southern California high school shooting

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The fact that this latest mass shooting took place in California proves my point. California has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country -- many that I happen to agree with myself. Yet, this still happened. This...is...not..about...guns. For crissakes, people. Think outside of you and your political aims for just one goddamn minute.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The truth is society wanted to create a bunch of pussies and now we have them. People that shoot other unarmed humans or that take their own life are cowards.

We need to quit coddling our children and teach them real life lessons again like personal responsibility and survival skills. Help them become self-reliant and gain self confidence and self-esteem.

Take away the video games and safe spaces and teach them to deal with life head on. Life isn’t easy and they need to learn the skills to make it through.
edit on 2019/11/14 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Too early for prom. Winter cotillion maybe.

But what I have read so far in this thread with the jaded flippant attitudes, pretty easy to see how kids that “don’t belong to an in group” wind up doing these sorts of things. Just last night I was responding to an article that was shared about the drum line was suspended from the marching band because a drummer had used baby powder on their heads to produce a smoke effect for a solo. A no harm, no foul situation except he hadn’t ran it by the band director for prior approval and they felt as though the kid showed him up.

Me being me, wrote a rather scathing response since it was Facebook about hamstringing creativity and drummers do pull stunts to show up the drummers of other schools, and some (I will assume bra burning feminist from back in the day given her age) pops off about mansplaining.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I've said it before in these types of threads; kids today don't know how to lose, how to fail. They don't develop coping skills.

They are near adults, using adult tools to act out childishly.

Tragic.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
If anyone wants to read about an attempted mass shooting with a more positive outcome look up the story of former Oregon football player Keanon Lowe and how he thwarted a mass shooting at Parkrose high school in Portland, Oregon with nothing more than situational awareness and a hug. And before you say, "Yeah, but we're all not massive athletes that can impose our will on others", Keanon is only 5'9 and 185lbs.

He defeated an evil act by simply caring. If more of us did the same on a daily basis then this young man might not have even gotten to that horrific point in his life. End selective empathy and instead love and care for everyone especially someone who might not love and care for you. If we do this one simple thing, many of the world's social problems will begin to melt away.

Continue forward with the echo chambers and boogeymen and we will see a world like we did leading up to and during World War II -- except unfathomably worse because there has been no decline in humankind's technological advancements for destroying one another. However, it would most certainly not be the fault of that technology when we arrive there, it will be the fault of us for taking our social problems to the point where that technology became necessary.
edit on 14-11-2019 by sooth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Sooth, Metallicus, DB - I think your points are zeroing in on the problem. Many in society just don't want to admit it.

edit on 11/14/2019 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
It disgusts me that children have been shot and so many of you are trying to make this political. I hope all of you are called out everytime you try to take the moral high ground.

I thought all shootings were made political these days. As dead bodies are still lying on the ground, it's quite usual for Democrats to start pushing for gun control legislation whilst blaming their political enemies for inciting violence.
On the flip side, Republicans are usually keen to know if it's a brown person who did it so they can push for border control.

Meanwhile some people selectively take the moral high ground (cough) when it suits, whilst at other times hitching their wagon to the political aganda.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Sheye

Hell, this may be prom related for all we know.

We’re not teaching our kids how to cope.

Exactly. The social experiment of coddling and everyone is special does NOT prepare these young minds for small disappointments in life (like losing a game, not getting that trophy, breakup with a girl/guy/whatever, etc...). So when they get smacked in the face with reality as a young adult (or late teen), then experience a big disappointment (don't get the job they wanted, realize that they signed a contract enslaving them with crushing debt, etc...) they do not have the tools to handle it and snap.

We should consider this global social experiment a failure, and a deadly one at that.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Exactly. The social experiment of coddling and everyone is special does NOT prepare these young minds for small disappointments in life (like losing a game, not getting that trophy, breakup with a girl/guy/whatever, etc...). So when they get smacked in the face with reality as a young adult (or late teen), then experience a big disappointment (don't get the job they wanted, realize that they signed a contract enslaving them with crushing debt, etc...) they do not have the tools to handle it and snap.

We should consider this global social experiment a failure, and a deadly one at that.

Is America the only country that molycoddle their kids, because regular mass school shootings don't seem to happen outside of the U.S.

Surely there's more to this than just lack of coping skills.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Is America the only country that molycoddle their kids, because regular mass school shootings don't seem to happen outside of the U.S.

Society. European society is different than American society. Just as eastern societies are different that western societies. Why must we look for one single issue? Let me give you a tip, THERE IS NO SINGLE ISSUE CAUSING THIS. There are a variety of factors.

In many European countries, kids wold still be able to be punished by their parents for screwing up. America has lost sight of that.

In many eastern countries you are trained from birth to be part of the collective, and not to stand out. Those that are become shunned and in some cases, "disappear" from society. America was s a country of rugged individualism, until about the early 1970's. Then the idea of "it takes a village", punishment is bad for the self-esteem, began. Prior to that, parents were allowed to punish children.
Add in the disconnect from new social media technologies that provide relative anonymity for people to spew their hate, and that adds to this rapidly festering pot of stew.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Yeah, Europe just gets bombings, acid attacks, and mass stabbings.

I think the US is special because we do have access to a lot of firearms. However, I am in no way advocating that we restrict guns anymore than we do now. The reality is that it is easier to be a nutjob with a gun in the US.

The issue isn't guns as we've always had access. In fact, access has never been as restricted. We didn't have a lot of mass shootings in prior generations, so it is obviously something else going on, not just the firearms.

The first random mass shooting that I am really aware of was the clock tower shooting at UT Austin. Did a quick search an apparently the first official mass shooting in the US was in 1949. Howard Unruh killed 13 people in Philly.

To be frank, I just chalk it up as a consequence of freedom. You can't have a country with this many people and not expect a few of them to be batsh*t crazy. It simply isn't realistic. It is no different from driving cars. If you have millions of cars doing 75mph on the highway, whehter we like it or not and no matter how many airbags, etc you put in a car, someone is still going to get killed.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I've said it before in these types of threads; kids today don't know how to lose, how to fail. They don't develop coping skills.

I think a big problem is that parents don't have a clue how to teach their kids how to cope with something that they've never had to cope with themselves.

When we were kids, if someone got bullied, then at least they had a chance to unwind once school was out and they got home. With social media today the bullying continues 24/7 and an unfortunate kid can't catch a break. I'm reminded of a recent thread where many kept repeating "poke a dog too many times and you're bound to get bitten". Now the poking is non-stop 24/7 for many kids.

Furthermore, with the the barrage of hyper-partisan media, and adults constantly acting like children at every turn, there's a serious lack of solid role models to emulate and teach kids how to let some things slide.
edit on 11/14/19 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Kids don't know how to lose or fail, and they are taught they it's never their fault too. The reason bad things happen to them is never because they might have done something.

1. Failed the test? Teacher hates you, not lack of studying.

2. She said no to your promposal? She's an angry feminist, manhater, not just not that into you or already had a date because you waited too long.

3. You lost the big game? The refs were clearly biased and the other guy was cheating, not you just didn't practice as hard and maybe just aren't quite as talented.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Watched this unfold this morning on the local news.
Early on with choppers from three networks over head.
Police marching kids out in fire drill fashion. Clearly not
upset all texting on their phones as well was a single officer
bring'n up the rear texting.

Reporters in the choppers at the same time for more than an hour
reporting " The police are saying the shooter fled the scene" the
Shooter is at large.

While the cops are lining these kids up outside the school along
a fence. With the shooter still at large supposedly. This went on
redundantly for at least an hour. No shooter in custody is what
the police were saying in radio coms according to reporters
in the air.

Then they switch from the air and go to ground news crews and
suddenly the shooter was dead. Shot himself in the quad area.
Outside. In the middle of the school where the news choppers
were just flying overhead.

Figure that one out yourselves.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: redmage

How exactly does that social media come attack you 24/7? Kids have to seek it out. Any kid who pulls something like this and then blames social media is an idiot. Anything with an off button you refused to press didn't compel you to do anything, you let it.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: redmage

How exactly does that social media come attack you 24/7? Kids have to seek it out. Any kid who pulls something like this and then blames social media is an idiot. Anything with an off button you refused to press didn't compel you to do anything, you let it.

Any insult or whatever can go viral at your school / community within minutes. Back in our day, if you say got your ass kicked in the parking lot, there wasn't a video of your beat down posted on facebook / twitter to the entire school (and total strangers).

If you asked a chick out or to the prom and she laughed in your face, maybe only a few people knew about it. The rejection wasn't broadcast on facebook.

We got picked on, but the embarrassment, etc was really contained and it was much easier to ignore and avoid.

Social media makes all the stuff we experienced much more intense in some ways.

edit on 14-11-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Time to bring back the rack and 4k coverage, no one is going to commit mass murder if punishment is being stripped down and tortured on TV, or we could stick with this, it's been effective .....

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: sooth

Talking to someone about your feelings, especially negative ones will help to lift the burden. I wonder how many of these shootings could've been avoided with a conversation and kind ear.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Do you have kids? Cyberstalking, and cyberbullying have become relentless and serious issue today.

Your response and apparent lack of understanding of these issues eludes to the first line of my post above.

"I think a big problem is that parents don't have a clue how to teach their kids how to cope with something that they've never had to cope with themselves.".

It's easy to just brush things off that we never had to deal with, but that doesn't change the reality of what kids are dealing with today.

a reply to: Edumakated

Exactly, it's a whole different world now. What may have been inconvenient embarrassments for us now can "go viral" for this generation.
edit on 11/14/19 by redmage because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Krakatoa is correct. Kids take their own lives because they can't handle a bully. They shoot up schools because kids are mean to them and they can't handle it. Why is it that when the nuclear family was supported and advocated across this country, kids were able to deal with bullies and mean kids in manner that didn't involve killing them or yourself? And whether you believe in God or not, it also took a turn for the worst when God was taken out of the public eye. Traditional values kept this country honest and humble, now those values are seen as destructive and out of date by the same party lying, ignoring the constitution, and using corruption to gain all the power.

Can't you see that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join