It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veggie holiday :)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Does anyone have a good, trusted recipe for a vegan holiday roast? Something you have made yourself?
I want to try my hand at making my first one but I want to make sure it's a recipe that someone has actually tried and can tell me if it was GREAT or just OK or bad! I have looked on line but of course there are thousands of recipes ugh!
I don't want to settle for a store bought celebration roast or a tofurkey, I'd like to make my own.

Appreciate any info. thank you!

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

Why the effort to simulate meat? Just get a turkey or roast some potatoes or something. I don’t see the point of trying to create a fake meal.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I'm not a vegan but for Christmas we don't eat traditionally.
We eat what we like and it turns out that is what everyone looks forward to the most and we've created our own
tradition with our unique meal.

Maybe instead of trying to find a good vegan roast, maybe eat something you love and that is a little more expensive/rare or a treat. A feast of mushrooms etc?

I personally find turkey and ham both overrated and would rather have steak or seafood.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   
UUuuugggh.

Feed the veggies to the turkey.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Ummm… this isn't really an answer lol
I'm not - I mean like I saw a recipe for a stuffed butternut squash roast that looked amazing. So something like that!
sorry I wasn't more specific.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

We eat what we like and it turns out that is what everyone looks forward to the most and we've created our own

Maybe instead of trying to find a good vegan roast, maybe eat something you love and that is a little more expensive/rare or a treat. A feast of mushrooms etc?

I personally find turkey and ham both overrated and would rather have steak or seafood.

Oh I love that idea

and I love mushrooms!

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
UUuuugggh.

Feed the veggies to the turkey.

hahah

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Thug Kitchen did a few different variations, and I made one of them. Wasn't too far off as far as texture goes, but I prefer the side dishes when it comes to making holiday meals anyway. Can always use seitan and flavor with rosemary/thyme etc.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: RicketyCricket
Thank you
yeah I am all about the sides as well!

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

We have made buffets at our house for Christmas and easter, in fact one year it was nice here at easter and we cooked on the firepit. There were still snowbanks around the yard, but the firepit and center yard were bare...and no mosquitoes.

But for thanksgiving, we have always had a turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, and homemade cranberries and sweet potatoes.

Lots of deserts and snacks at every holiday dinner, A few times we discussed just having all deserts but it never materialized yet. We always make homemade pies at holidays and some good bars.

edit on 12-11-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Holiday buffets are the best. It is usually the good side dishes that go first, the potatoes and the green bean casserole!

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
My family always had a traditional Thanksgiving feast and my mom being Italian always started us off with the soup & escarole (Italian wedding soup) and she always made stuffed artichokes yum! Always had the Italian wedding candy and pastries too along with a variety of pies! I lost her five years ago on Thanksgiving
and with her went many of her awesome recipes! I've tried over the last few years to replicate them but no luck. You know those Italians... they don't like giving up their recipes and none of hers were written down. Oh well. She used to make this stuffing that was to die for! She made it outside of the bird in a large cake pan. It was so dense and so moist... it was like a stuffing-cake! I have always been about the veggies since I was a kid and she would make every vegetable imaginable as a side because of that! I miss those days. Since I lost her we have been trying to create new traditions, introduce new foods, etc. Honestly what I'd love to do is roll out of bed, roll onto the couch with my dog and just stay there for the remainder of the day. Not deal with anyone, just spend the whole day feeling sorry for myself LOL! But nah... we are going to my sister in laws which will be nice, very small crowd. She doesn't eat turkey either so I thought I'd surprise her with something veggie. I do make a killer sweet potato side and I'll definitely bring that.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

You know those Italians... they don't like giving up their recipes

I have a funny recipe story for you. My sister in law asked me for a family recipe. No big deal I made it with her and showed her step by step.
She was furious as she found out my mom tricked her and gave her wrong ingredients so that her dish would never
compare to the families. It was a small change but just enough to make it different. Even my brother- her husband said it wasn't quite the same. We all laughed.

Now they are getting divorced and I wonder if I should have given up the family recipe so easily!

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

You know those Italians... they don't like giving up their recipes

I have a funny recipe story for you. My sister in law asked me for a family recipe. No big deal I made it with her and showed her step by step.
She was furious as she found out my mom tricked her and gave her wrong ingredients so that her dish would never
compare to the families. It was a small change but just enough to make it different. Even my brother- her husband said it wasn't quite the same. We all laughed.

Now they are getting divorced and I wonder if I should have given up the family recipe so easily!

omg that's SO funny!
Every time I'd ask my mother for a recipe she'd always say the same "Eh, you know, a little of this, a little of that, a pinch of this..." She'd always claim that Italians didn't write down recipes or exact measurements so it would be hard for her to write it down!

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Holiday buffets are the best. It is usually the good side dishes that go first, the potatoes and the green bean casserole!
My sister in law always makes the three bean cassarole and shrimp dip with Ritz crackers for the dinners.

I usually cook the turkeys, thanksgiving dinner is usually at our house.

But I think a desert holiday buffet could be better, it is mostly vegan on top of that if you were to use plant base alternatives. I mean a person could make a good cake all vegan, there are vegan egg substitues that work pretty well, although the vegan eggs do suck if you eat them scrambled.

All the blueberry, cherry, and pumpkin pies can be made vegan...but I would rather use almond milk than soy milk products for the pumpkin pie. Vegans should just have desert functions instead of mock turkey or ham dinners.

Hey, I have gone to a few vegan events and their deserts are way better than many of the organic events are.
edit on 12-11-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I always bring all of the vegan goodies to events and occasions and they are always the first to go!
We did a beach house weekend this past summer with like 15 of us, I brought all of the veggie burgers, dogs, cheese, snacks, desserts, etc. All of my stuff was GONE within a couple of days!

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl

I always bring all of the vegan goodies to events and occasions and they are always the first to go!
We did a beach house weekend this past summer with like 15 of us, I brought all of the veggie burgers, dogs, cheese, snacks, desserts, etc. All of my stuff was GONE within a couple of days!

I will stick with my grassfed organic beef that is raised by a farmer and his wife we know who treat the cows like they are their friends. They send them to the meat processing facility with a couple of days worth of food and the people there treat the animals right, so as not to stress the cow which leads to bad tasting meat.

I feel much better eating meat when I know that the cows are treated well and they are healthy because of their diet and do not need antibiotics and never get hormones. I have known lots of farmers, some of them treat their animals like they are comodities while others treat them like sentient beings.

I have also worked with people cleaning geese, turkeys, and chickens, my grandaughter was plucking feathers when she was twelve years old. Most of the people I know who I get meats from treat their animals humanely. It makes me feel better to know that they were not mistreated. I also buy firewood but do not like getting wood from people who cut down live trees just so I can get firewood, I prefer to get wood from people where the cutting of trees has more than one reason for their cutting. Like when someone is cutting for a subdivision or to make a field or just from people who cut trees that are old and dangerous or blew down in a storm. I love nature, I only have some control over things I personally buy. I know mining is needed but am not fond of the effect on the environment. Thank god we have an EPA that is not totally corrupt.

I have tried the veggie burgers and I can say I do not care for them much. The veggie dogs I tried suck, I would much rather eat a meatless meal made of baked potatoes with a corn on the cob and a nice iceburg salad, although I prefer a chef salad with cheese and eggs, those two animal based additives seem to keep my bloodpressure from crashing. I love salads but cannot eat much of them, my favorite sandwich is a BLT and I do not need bacon on that. But Miracle whip does have egg in it, I have not found a vegan substitute for miracle whip.

I have a half a dozen vegetarian friends but most of them do eat eggs. No vegan friends though, I do not even know anyone who is vegan personally. There is a difference I hear although I do not understand how it is figured.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Well that's awesome. I know many farmers who are highly ethical as well! I say to each their own. My husband is a meat guy and I cook him whatever he wants and likes. As long as he's getting a balanced and nutritious meal! I don't push my nutritional plan on anyone and I 100% do what I do for my own personal reasons none of which are anyone's business
unless they are sincerely interested, then I am happy to share what I know! I find most vegan replacement products to be pretty gross and overly processed with tons of sodium! I do have a few select brands that I enjoy on occasion but I'm with you... I prefer a meal made of whole vegetables over imitation stuff anytime! I only somewhat agree with replacement products for people who wish to be more plant based but are afraid of missing out. Which, if you're doing it right, is silly! Almost everyone who makes the leap finds out quickly that with a good variety, they want for nothing. But it's about baby steps and if someone has to eat a piece of soy-cheese to feel better about it than I say go for it. Their choice, no one else's
I was vegetarian for a long time and continued to eat eggs and fish. Then egg whites and fish. Then I did some research on fish farms and I saw a heart breaking video and I gave up the fish unless it was wild caught. Then I didn't trust the industry and just gave up fish entirely. Shortly thereafter I gave up eggs. All I can say about that is when I was eating eggs I though I was super healthy and felt totally awesome but in reality I only thought I felt good. It wasn't until after I gave up all animal products I realized that I didn't feel good at all, not compared to how I felt after.
But hey, I don't want to turn this into one of those posts because I am not one of those people. But at least you seem to be able to have a good conversation

Vegetarian - I'm not sure why. Unless like I mentioned just using baby steps to get closer to a plant based diet? I don't know. I mean fish and chickens are still animals lol!

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl

But Miracle whip does have egg in it, I have not found a vegan substitute for miracle whip.

I make a killer vegan mayo! I'll share the recipe if you like

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   

every day is a veggie holiday at my home, don't work and don't eat veggies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join