It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's just grandfather DACA children

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.npr.org...

700,000 young immigrants — often called DREAMers — who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children.

Here is my personal opinion of DACA/Dreamers. They were brought in illegally, then our government under Obama
sheltered them. Due to that action I think they should be allowed citizenship. I am in no way saying his actions were right or that I agree with them. I am only saying now it is too late and they are here, they are working. They did not make the choice to come here. They were not adults. Only the 700K that are here now.

It only applies to them. It does not apply to their families. I'm not sure it is the case but if any DACA child is underage, they
would be put with foster parents and their illegal parents would face any normal illegal immigration charges and/or deportation. Or their parents could have the choice to take them back to their home country.

After it is decided on the 700K, no other children/adults would be granted this status. We also need to learn from history that we should not give "temporary" legal status. You are either legal permanently, or you're not. All it does is add to trouble later on.

Step back for a second JAG. Imagine going to another country for a better life and taking your underage kids with you. And a couple of decades later the country changes the law and now wants to SEPARATE your family after you've been living and contributing to that country for most of your life and ALL of their adult life.

Imagine how you would feel if some nation wanted to separate you and your kids, half a life later.

It does not matter what some politician says. Does it feel right?

What's your gut really say about separating these families?

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Oraculi

#1 I could never imagine going to another country for a better life and do that by breaking the law. Maybe that is an inherently American view. I think the reason a lot of people want to come here is for the better life, you can't do that by changing what makes it good (the laws).

Imagine how you would feel if some nation wanted to separate you and your kids, half a life later.

#2 It's not like America grabbed these people and brought them here. It was a choice by these adults.
My gut seriously says that adults should suffer the consequences of the law.
I feel differently for children that literally had no choice.

My gut says these people are free to go back to their home country together, again a choice.

edit on 12-11-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I sure wish trump and the gop would try and deport them and others...

The push back would be swift and overwhelming as soon as people started to realize it effects people they know and care about..

How many old army vets live vicariously through the Mexican’s neighbor kid??

How many people are dating one, best friends with one, exc...

Just like most policies conservatives scream for... I wish they could have it..

Ban abortion, kick all the doca kids, eliminate min wage, exc, exc....

The disaster would end the present flavor of American conservatism for good.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

You make a very valid point here Grambler. Hopefully we all have seen the growth of powers allowed to the Executive Branch over the last few decades of potus's taking more and more power for themselves. As much as I do not like that power in the hands of a Trump, I also do not like that much power in the hands of a, say, Biden or a Sanders..

This is what needs to be curtailed in my opinion. We gotta make our congress people work harder and together for our laws but as long as we continue to have this Big Boy power mentality, those congress people will just keep falling in line with whoever is potus. And hopefully we know where that leads..huh?

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   

#1 I could never imagine going to another country for a better life and do that by breaking the law. Maybe that is an inherently American view. I think the reason a lot of people want to come here is for the better life, you can't do that by changing what makes it good (the laws).

#2 It's not like America grabbed these people and brought them here. It was a choice by these adults.
My gut seriously says that adults should suffer the consequences of the law.
I feel differently for children that literally had no choice.

My gut says these people are free to go back to their home country together, again a choice.

For how long should these adults suffer the consequences?

20 years?

30 years?

These are lives we are talking about. They have families and friends. They work in our stores and their kids go to school with our kids. These DACA kids have kids of their own and some have grandkids already. They've been here their entire lives.

At which point can they be treated as human beings and not political pawns?

Let's say this president leaves them, and the next one does too. But the one after that, in 20 years has the same idea and wants them gone. We're gonna do this again, separate families 40 years in, 50 years in?

At which point do you start seeing this as wrong?

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

For how long should these adults suffer the consequences?

What consequence? They are still living here.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

No one has changed the law. It was illegal to come here undocumented then, and it's illegal to come here undocumented now. The only thing that has changed is we are no longer ignoring the law.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: StevenCrowley06

So, just to clarify... should Trump defy a Supreme Court decision?

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Simply... NO.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Here is my personal opinion of DACA/Dreamers. They were brought in illegally, then our government under Obama
sheltered them. Due to that action I think they should be allowed citizenship.

I'd be ok with granting them permanent resident status, but no, not Citizenship. That just cheapens it for the ones that follow the rules.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

sheltered them. Due to that action I think they should be allowed citizenship.

I'd be ok with granting them permanent resident status, but no, not Citizenship. That just cheapens it for the ones that follow the rules.

They didn't have the choice to follow or not follow the rules because they were children.
For the adults, yes, for the children no.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

There's an easy compromise in here that coincides with the original DACA. Permanent, legal status, including the right to work in the US and the ability to apply for citizenship under the same rules as anyone else, irrevocable except in cases of a convicted felony. Even if one considers Trump's position on birthright citizenship, their children were still born to people legally in and permanent residents of the US and would automatically be citizens.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   

They didn't have the choice to follow or not follow the rules because they were children.

Irrelevant. Again, permanent resident status, ok. citizenship, no way.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Whats to stop the next obama from ignoring federal law and sheltering illegals?

The I guess in twnety years we will have to give those kids citizenship as well.

The only way this should be done is with an amendment passed that says no executive offical should be allowed to ignore federal immigration law ever agian, and that wont happen.

The funny part is Trump offered this to the democrats and they said no. There is no way they want this to happen on Trump's watch.

edit on 12-11-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
news.bloomberglaw.com... per bloomberg it seems scotus is about to side with trump against DACA

U.S. Supreme Court justices seemed inclined to let President Donald Trump cancel an Obama-era program that shields almost 700,000 young undocumented immigrants from deportation in a case with broad political and humanitarian ramifications. Hearing arguments Tuesday in Washington, the justices suggested they will be ideologically divided in the case, with at least the court’s five conservatives backing the Trump administration. The case marks a pivotal moment in Trump’s two-year campaign to unravel former President Barack Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. DACA, as it’s known, protects those immigrants from deportation and lets them seek jobs. Chief Justice John Roberts indicated that he saw DACA as illegal from the start, describing it as covering far more people than previous deferred deportation programs. Justice Brett Kavanaugh hinted he was satisfied with an explanation for the cancellation provided by then-Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen after the litigation had started. “I assume that was a very considered decision,” Kavanaugh said.
so now we wait for the actual rulling but seems the daca issue is finally gonna get an answer from SCOTUS

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Anyone can stay if they rat out another illegal. Tough, but fair.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 05:18 AM
link   

If my parents rob a bank and then give me the money should I be allowed to keep it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join