It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don Cherry fired from ‘hockey night in Canada’ over discriminatory remarks on TV

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Yes, isn't it ironic how the employer has every right to make all kinds of decisions about how they will conduct business when it promotes leftist cancel culture?

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   
So Canada has as many SJW losers as the US . And as many corporations that bow down to em....
That is what I read.
For all that is Holy , this is freakin Veterans Day for a lot of the free world .
And , that is the reason the word "free" is still there.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Don had every right to speak his mind. But his choice of words were horrible.

That said. I know plenty of immigrants who had no idea what the poppy actually meant, because they aren't citizens yet, and probably have never been educated on what it actually means. Also, I know many immigrants who wear the poppy.

To be honest tho, from his comments Cherry spoke to Toronto, and Mississauga, which has a huge population and rather large 'boom' of immigrants, mostly "brown", he was insinuating something. Too bad lots of 'brown' people fought in BOTH world wars because they were commonwealth.

His time is up, good bye Cherry, I met you twice and volunteered as a teen for you, but time tells all, thanks for the hockey memories.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Grambler

Yes, isn't it ironic how the employer has every right to make all kinds of decisions about how they will conduct business when it promotes leftist cancel culture?

Most places will can you if you bring a gun to work, too, so I guess it evens out.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Don Cheery has every right to speak his mind after all Canada has the right to free speech but when you Mayor of a Sanctuary city of Toronto like John Tory claiming and suggesting that Don Cheery should apologize for his opinion. Shows idiotic and foolish the liberals had become.

Its rather ironic in the liberals defense of immigration on Don Cheery comments that they are using India's Canadian Service's men to defend their position.

I have seen in the past where on Nov 11 in number of minority communities dont even buy nor wear the poppies on them. By firing Don Cheery it would only prove his point and also John Tory the mayor of Toronto attacked him, has no problems meanwhile promoting Drag Queens on Mother Days.
edit on 11-11-2019 by ChefFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Firing Don Cherry agaisnt minorities and Immigration how migrants don't wear poppies.But if you hate white people or say hateful things on TV agaisnt white people you wont get fired.

We live in very authoritarian times.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye
Wow
Just suprised hockey is still a thing up there.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

If you speak the truth have a foot in the stirrup.

Stupid cancel culture.

Truth is unpopular. Liberals in Canada especially dont like the facts. Not even in Toronto the most highest and expensive city next to Calif.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

The problem in Toronto is that some migrants don't worry poppies, i know why he made those comments. He probably saw some people not wearing poppies and got upset over it.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   
There is more information in this link..

torontosun.com...

I have just learned I’ve been fired by Sportsnet for comments made on Coach’s Corner Nov. 9,” Cherry told me in a phone interview. “No problem.” Cherry added: “I know what I said and I meant it. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers.” And Cherry said his words were not racial or bigoted but patriotic and respectful of our troops. Still, these comments prompted Sportsnet to axe Cherry. In a two-paragraph statement Monday afternoon, Sportsnet confirmed that it was cutting ties with Cherry. “Sports brings people together — it unites us, not divides us. Following further discussions with Don Cherry after Saturday night’s broadcast, it has been decided it is the right time for him to immediately step down,” said Sportsnet president Bart Yabsley. “During the broadcast, he made divisive remarks that do not represent our values or what we stand for.

edit on 11-11-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

To keep my job, I cannot be turned into a tamed robot,” said Cherry. Still, he admits, being fired on Remembrance Day does hurt “because I would have liked to continue doing Coach’s Corner. The problem is if I have to watch everything I say, it isn’t Coach’s Corner.”

edit on 11-11-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I would agree more with Don Cheery if you actually read the bottom. They are still going with Hillary's Clinton narrative that Diversity is our strength nonsense.

But then again you also had Hillary saying that its best that you one public image and one private.. Probably he should have kept those comments in private.

said Sportsnet president Bart Yabsley. “During the broadcast, he made divisive remarks that do not represent our values or what we stand for

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Thing is, a lot of the immigrants he talks about.. some of their lineage were here in Canada and fought in the war for Canada, and dies for Canada.

So his rant is pretty ignorant. Not wearing a poppy isn't a sign of ignorance of those who fought in a world war.

It's just a flower that grows on a field someone decided to bury the dead. The flower itself has nothing to do with the war, the soldiers, canada, or remembering lol.

It's more a way for charity for whoever.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Another great link ( short video) with more insight into the story.

torontosun.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Don is 100% correct in his views.

I cancelled my Sportsnet Subscription and encourage others to as well.
I am tired of small Special Interest Groups politicking via committee using online and social media as their platform....because they MISREPRESENT WHAT CANADA REALLY IS AND WHAT THE PEOPLE REALLY FEEL AND WISH FOR.

Almost everyone I know or speak to is on Don Cherry side...except for the young bigmouth punks in their 20s who think they can run the entire world via social media conjob representations and impacts....online propaganda is not = to an Ipsos Reid Poll of what the masses really want...its a bloody salesjob and we all know it....Don got crucified by a small Special Interest Group....who CLAIM TO REPRESENT ALL CANADIANS...and "WE" LET DON CHERRY DOWN..... by not standing up and defending him and shutting up this generation of cyber-bullies hiding behind rainbow colored costumes.

Show Sportsnet how it feels to lose real dollars from real Canadians....because the invisible non-existant online phantoms are sure as hades not buying seasons tickets of 12 dollar hotdogs.....if Sportsnet and other Companies are going to pander to these groups then their bottom lines will fall....because these groups they pander to are non-existential they are online machined artificially represented "shell companies"....they are not numbers represented they are "clickbait" represented....and that is a huge difference....so sock it to em and lets teach the big companies to stay out of these rainbow politics or pay the bottom line price...the little 23 year old Rainbow Warrior working social media like the Town Pump @ a Church Picnic is NEVER GOING TO BUY TICKETS OR SPEND DOLLARS TO SUPPORT SPORTSNET or NHL Hockey.....but we were....operative word now being WERE.

edit on 12-11-2019 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Canada doesn't have a Trump to help clean itself up....Canada is in a worse mess than the USA was in before the Donald committed to helping turn the Country back into the global leader of commerce and unity that it was built to be.

The same Groups using the same methods and tactics that undermined and tried to poison the USA are harder at work in Canada trying to undermine the Maple Leaf.... sign this petition and Trump these small special interest groups who misrepresent the majority.....its only one small click.

www.change.org...

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all

As no doubt the ats member most enthusiastic about hockey, I wonder what you would think about this

Kudos to you for not supporting a company who is making activist decisions you disagree with

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
While I couldn't stand the guy as an announcer, sitting there smugly making excuses when someone on "his" team cheap shot and injured someone on the other team.

Dude should be entitled to his opinion and it shouldn't cost him his job, But what do I know.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I must be old because I don't see anything discriminatory about what he said.

I also don't own a TV so I haven't been constantly brainwashed like most.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all

Canada is just fine.
edit on 12-11-2019 by Joecanada11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Arggghhhh bloody immigrants

So much for being allies, perhaps history is forgotten or just never understood

Who are we classing as immigrants, is there a particualr race he was unhappy with?

Or is the beef just with none poppy wearers if so why is the term immigrant being used in this thread, many a nation fought with the allies of my country the UK, lest we forget

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join