It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Settle this melted cheese sandwich argument

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   
We call them grilled cheese here. And when you fry ham first then make a grilled cheese sandwich with it on it it is grilled ham and cheese. Toast does not have butter it is fried in, you put the butter on toast after it comes out of the toaster or it makes a mess out of the toaster and sometimes catches fire...learned that from experience.

If you do not put butter on the grill cheese sandwich before frying (Yuck) then it could be a toasted cheese sandwich.

The butyrate if butter is actually good for you, it does not require specialized bacteria in your gut to make it out of veggies.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

UK - Toasted Cheese

US - Grilled Cheese
edit on 11/11/2019 by Creep Thumper because: BOOBOO.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Green bell peppers were called "mangos?"

Yeah, I loose more faith in humanity every day.

And as to the "hot water heater" thing, I go round and round about that. I have started referring to it as a cold water heater. Because it heats cold water. It does not heat hot water.

As to the sammich issue ... If it's cooked on a skillet or a griddle, it's grilled. If it's baked in a toaster over, it's toasted. But once you eat it, it's just a turd.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
It doesn't really matter.

If you call it a "cocker spaniel," and everyone in the room immediately pictures in their mind two slices of bread toasted in butter on a griddle with melty cheese in between them--successful communication has occurred.

HOWEVER: if you are referring to a grilled cheese sandwich as a "cocker spaniel," you and your family have greater problems than can be easily solved by a bunch of goobers on an InterWeb message board.

Good luck.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
P.S.: It's an "ATM machine."

haha!

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...Welch rarebit...

Welsh Rabbit is the right name, it was just 'poshed' up to sound fancy....

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   

That Mango thing happens in other places too. What is bad is mangos, red mangos, and yellow mangos. And actual mangos are mangos or mango fruit. Muskmelon/mush melon for cantaloupe. And cottage cheese can be called curd cheese or curdled cheese but should have molasses (or sorghum) as an optional addition. You can call it blackstrap molasses but never just blackstrap.

Regional words are funny. Best example is nib. As in “Don’t go nibbing around.” “You know to nib, to be a nib nose.” When we asked what nib was. To sneak around, being nosy. Such as when hunting for unwrapped Christmas presents. Poking around would be the best wide spread phrase to nibbing.

But if you want a good fist fight, grab the pan and forget the butter for a seared cheese sandwich. Especially good on sourdough bread. Such as a grilled ham and cheese on seared sourdough.
edit on 11-11-2019 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Grilled cheese!
But when our kids were little & it was so easy to get interrupted & burn them, I did the 'harried Mom grilled cheese'!
I put the bread in the toaster, put REAL cheese slices between the toast & nuked them! Perfect sandwiches every time! And a lot faster than doing enough sandwiches for 5 kids in a frying pan! Oh, oh! Are they technically fried cheese sandwiches, if they are done in a frying pan?! 😜

This debate reminds me of George Carlin's routine. Or maybe it was Gallagher's?
Why do we drive on a parkway, but park in a driveway???
First world problems!

WOQ

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   
To me grilled cheese is a sandwich, and toasted cheese is what happens when the cheese gets brown and bubbly on top of a pizza or cassarole or something like it. So it's possible that some of the cheese on/in a grilled cheese likely around the edges can be toasted.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Never put cheese in the toaster!

Trust Me.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I just remembered something grilled cheese related. One of my ex-wives used mayonnaise on the bread instead of butter when she made grilled cheese sandwiches.
Anyone else ever heard of that?

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Yeah, of course. I used to work at a restaurant where I made the fanciest of grilled cheese. We put mayo on the bread. Then we used a combo of ghee, butter and oil in the pan. It was supposed to be a porchetta sandwich but I will be damned if it wasn’t just a fancy ass grilled cheese that
cost way more than it should.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
Yeah, of course. I used to work at a restaurant where I made the fanciest of grilled cheese. We put mayo on the bread. Then we used a combo of ghee, butter and oil in the pan. It was supposed to be a porchetta sandwich but I will be damned if it wasn’t just a fancy ass grilled cheese that

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Arrrrggggg I totally screwed up my reply to

Butcherguy

Anyway

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Oops

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Grilled cheese.
Never heard of no toasted cheese, wtf!

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 03:12 AM
link   

A different angle to your question:
Is it still a grilled cheese if you add another ingredient?

For example, if you make a grilled cheese but then you put tomato on it does that change it to a grilled cheese with tomato, a tomato cheese sandwich, or a tomato melt?

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Well, to me it is a "grilled cheese". Never heard of a "toasted cheese" sammich.

And, if you take two slices of bread with some cheese in between and stick it in a toaster, bad ju-ju is going to happen! That's called a "GD Mess!" "Now I'm gonna' have to throw the toaster out!" and "What the heck were you thinking????" Which brings me to another point...

On the back of the taco shell box it says to never heat your taco shells in a toaster oven. I always wondered why this was. One night I was in a hurry for tacos, so I ignored the warning and stuck about (5) taco shells in the toaster oven. I went back to watching Jeopardy. When the smoke alarm went off I looked into the kitchen and saw a warm orange glow flickering.

And that, my friends, is called a "grilled toaster oven"!!, a puddle of flaming molten plastic and metal on your countertop which you have to scoop up with a snow shovel and toss outside into the snow...right past the shoulder of the landlord who just came over and wonders WTF you're doing to his rental! I must admit, in retrospect, it must have been pretty alarming (in a hysterical way) to see some dude blast out the back door with a snow shovel full of flaming goo, toss it out in the yard and dash back inside without even noticing you!

**knock, knock, knock**
Me: "Yes?"
Him: "WTF are you doing????"
Me: "Just burnin' your crib down, brutha', no worries."
Him: "I think I need to come inside"
Me: "Lemme' get the fire out first"

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Has anyone ever seen a video of what happens when a PopTart is in a toaster too long?

It is impressive. you wouldn't think a toaster pastry could generate flames like that.
Toast Fiction

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Purpapengus

For example, if you make a grilled cheese but then you put tomato on it does that change it to a grilled cheese with tomato, a tomato cheese sandwich, or a tomato melt?

Away with your heathen talk before we burn you at the stake.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join