It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Category 5 Cyclone to Hit Queensland Australia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
A cyclone larger and more powerful than the christmas eve 1974 cyclone which devastated Darwin is set to move over the coast of Tropical North Queensland tomorrow morning. Warnings are being issued for areas north of Cairns to Cooktown every four hours and computer models have so far failed to project where the cyclone will cross the coast. Cyclone Ingrid, which has a deeper base and vortex than normal is believed to be the most powerful cyclone to hit the Australian coastline for nearly 30 years.

Ninemsn News

A cyclone as powerful as the storm that devastated Darwin 30 years ago was heading toward the Queensland coast, with weather forecasters unable to accurately predict where it will strike.

Cyclone Ingrid is rated a powerful category five and has a compact centre with winds gusting up to 290kph - drawing comparisons with Cyclone Tracy, which hit Darwin on Christmas Eve 1974.

The Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre in Brisbane said on Tuesday the cyclone was about 290km northeast of Cooktown and moving west at eight kph.

Warning centre supervising meteorologist Phil Alford said the cyclone had a very destructive core.

"Where Tracy was a category four, this is a category five," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The wind is picking up outside although the sky is still clear and blue. The cyclone is moving rather slowly towards the coast and it is hoped that it will turn and swing towards the north west. Residents of the tourist town of Cairns are bracing themselves with stocks of batteries and candles running low in stores around the city. Residents can be seen cleaning yards up of potential debris and checking safety issues.

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au
www.bom.gov.au
www.bom.gov.au

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
good story,
but, you will need to fix the codes on your quotes. The whole article is your link.
If you can't fix it, I'd suggest contacting a mod.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Thanks for that, Fixed now. I will follow up this article with regular accounts of just what is happening outside my house and I am considering driving closer to Cooktown tomorrow to get some pictures and more information. It's not often I get to chase storms here in australia but this huge one seems like the perfect opportunity.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
You better look out though, Cat 5 storms are no joke. They are able to lift up cars and 12m long containers. And flatten houses in a second. My relatives saw all of that happen in St Maarten with Hurricane Louis, which was a Cat 4. In fact they almost got hit by a flying 12m (40 ft) containe.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Yeah TheBandit is right, you better watch out for yourself, these hurricanes are no laughing matter. Please stay safe and don't take any unnecessary risks.

[edit on 3/7/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Yes I will be careful and doubt I will venture out at the height of the storm. I should be able to watch much of the action from here at home. I would like to get some pics of it all though after the main strength of the cyclone. We are told to expect flooding along with the strong winds.

I guess if I was in America I would be one of those storm chasers. The sky has become overcast in the last hour or so with the wind picking up in bursts. It is not a constant as yet. Neighbours can be seen hammering things down and the sound of welders is rife in the neighbourhood.

I am waiting for my tribe to arrive home from school to go and do a mass toy run over the yard and to pick up all flyable objects and move them to the shed.

I am a tad concerned as I have a full carport kit sitting on the driveway ready to be erected and it is way to heavy for me to move but I doubt it will be too heavy for Isabel to pick up and move for me.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Hey Mayet I'm over a thousand kms away at Airlie Beach and I'm sure we'll end up with some strong winds and high tides. I expect you can't wait for the next BOM update in less than an hour. I can't believe its a Category 5!

CATEGORY 5
"Extremely dangerous with widespread destruction.
A Category 5 cyclone's strongest winds are VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts of more than 280 km/h.
These winds correspond to the highest category on the Beaufort scale, Beaufort 12 (Hurricane)"

If it was heading this way I would take the kids and dog and leave town. There's nowhere to hide in such a severe cyclone. Good luck and stay safe, I will be thinking of you and saying a few prayers as well. I have a niece living in Cairns who works on a dive boat she will be stuck on land for a few days at least.

Stay safe!!

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
looks like qld might be getting some good surf within the next week or so

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Everywhere in town windows are being taped up with big crosses to stop glass smashing.

The wind is still coming in bursts, nothing to say a cyclones on it's way yet.

There is two distinct separate cloud covers, one a thin spread high cloud band and one low thick greyish puffy on top type that is sprinkled through the sky at the moment mostly over the mountains.

Boats are being taken out of water and the town has now sold out of candles and most batteries.

Schools are already prepared to be closed tomorrow and bulletins are going out telling residents where the safe areas are to go to if in trouble.

It is actually fascinating to see the calm prepardness that the residents are undertaking.

The storm looks perfect on maps. The eye is so distinct unlike many other cyclones I have seen on the same map. It is getting bigger in comparisons between this mornings maps and current ones this evening.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Nice tight eye. Stay safe.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by bookie]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
What is scary about the map above is the cloud mass to the top corner of the picture. On latest images it looks like the edges of the cloud mass will be drawn into the cyclones vortex.

This map shows the two weather cells

weather.hawaii.edu... The link for the above pic

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
where'd you get that from Mayet? Nice.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   

The sky has become overcast in the last hour or so with the wind picking up in bursts. It is not a constant as yet.

Hey There, thanks for the great story, been a long time since I've been
up that way. Hervey Bay is about as far as I get.

Keep us posted and stay safe

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
you can track it here
theweather.news.com.au...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Cool!!

I really like those screen shots.

Just curious, why is this thread on the terror analysis threads?

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Justanotherperson]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
here we have a comparison of images. The first one was taken off the satellite early this morning australian time and the second one late this evening. You can see how the cyclone has intensified.

Alerts are being calmly stuck on our telly every half hour or so with emphasis in the warnings of the severity of the approaching storm. It has been dark for over an hour now and the air is almost still with a gentle breeze. The air is thick and heavy though and even though we are in the tropics, I found myself sweating a lot more than usual today and being a lot more thirsty.

You hear sometimes of the atmosphere having a pregnant expectant feel to it. That is how I would describe this. The last day or so before labour where everythng is quiet and still and everyone sits around waiting for the big event to happen.

Justanotherperson = Just curious, why is this thread on the terror analysis threads?

because cat five cyclones do not come around every day I guess and to my mind are just as important as all the man made mess in the world.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Looks like a fastball!! I wonder if it is going to drop and turn into a slider! Nice form with the large eyes. beautiful pic.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Looks like a nasty thing. Please be safe.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Its moving at approx 8 miles an hour towards the coast. The warnings are being issued every 20 minutes over the tv now but they are not saying anything important really. Just re-iterating the severity of the cyclone.

Finally........... it's nearly 10 pm here and the wind is starting to pick up again. Once again it's not constant just a big gust every few minutes and a gentle breeze the rest of the time. It has cooled outside and is no longer uncomfortably hot as it was before.

Its just all so quiet though. No sound of traffic, no nite wildlife or anything. I left a crumb on the floor before for over an hour...yes ok I am bored..... and when I checked it there was not an ant to be seen. That is really saying something because around here we are fast eaters. If you don't eat fast the food will be crawling with these tiny orange ants in no time.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
good luck with the cyclone mayet, keep yourself and family safe.

last report i heard was that it would cross the costline mid morning tomorrow.

unfortunaly BOM dont have a zoomed in radar of where the cyclone is (you can just see the bottom of it in the cairns radar).

i have family up there so i hope they stay safe too.

Latest pic
click here

[edit on 3-8-2005 by ausconspiracies]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join