It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Slaps Tariffs On Canadian Hogs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The U.S. Commerce Department has added a 10.63 percent penalty to imported Canadian hogs. This is based on thier findings that Canadian farmers sold the hogs at an unfair low price. However, not all hog importers int he U.S. are happy with the decision. They point to the record profits being produced by the U.S. pork industry.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - Canadian producers have sold hogs at unfairly low prices in the United States and must pay penalties averaging 10.63 percent, the Commerce Department said Monday, siding with U.S. producers who say cheaper imports have sent prices plunging.

The final step in the process is a ruling from the U.S. International Trade Commission, which is expected by April 18.

"The flood of low-priced hogs from Canada has pushed down U.S. hog prices and inflicted severe financial harm on U.S. hog producers," said Jon Caspers, a Swaledale, Iowa, producer and past president of the National Pork Producers Council.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Some digging is required for this. While the dumping of a product at unfair prices should be fought, this has some political overtones to it. The U.S. imported 8.5 million hogs last year. Thats alot of bacon both on the plate and in people pockets. The aggregate value of all of that was $529 million dollars. As a Canadian official pointed out, with the economies integrated so much, any tariff will hurt both. The softwood issue is yet another that is awaiting resolution as well.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
NAFTA is a free trade agreement - and there should be no tariffs. Mad Cow-based restrictions, softwood lumber and now this hog tariff are hardball trade code meaning "We want something else." IMO - that something else is Martin's signature on an open contract for NORTHCOM.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Canada said no to the mistle defence shield last week. Since then:

1.Border closed again to canadian beef, because of some obscure ruling in a midwest court.

2. Now this tariff on "hogs"...or pork.

Hmnn, this couldn't be retaliation could it? Anyways, the world needs less bases and bombs. Glad we said no to missle defence, too bad the farmers get punished for it.

Oh yeah what happened to free trade?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
.....See what I mean, Free Trade is a Hoax. A big one at that too. Sure it has some economic benefits for some people(mostly business owners...) but the rest get screwed over.....Whatever we'll just sell the Bacon to China.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I think we are going to see the WTO get involved soon.
Perhaps the CRTC should put a tariff on all the US telivision shows that get aired on Canadian TV

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
will this ever stop. free trade must go beside usa is in the process of going into major debt.more debt than canada ever had.i see alot of bad deals coming your way.canada will do her best but we went threw this stuff in the 90s.we will not be able to help you out of your trillions of dollar debt.all i can say is get more vocal the patriot act federal tax 23 percent and internet control.this one make me go oh boy.the idea of a longer work week 40 hours to 50 ouch.this is doom.if companies take over america you will feel like we did in the 90s.surpressed and cant seak your mind.better choices need to be made or your gonna need a case of beer and alot of advil to get you threw your hard times.i think we need our hockey back.trade politics for pucks.the game is missing and so is the good trades we used to make.its like theres a hollow echo of room that once was filled with good people making good choices........

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Um - what happend to the futures markets - did they just disappear?? There is a spot and futures market price for hogs (whole, parts, etc.) so just how and why would silly Canadians be selling at below market rates?? Am I missing something here..??

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'm certainly not an expert in the live hog market or NAFTA, but if Canada was dumping below market hogs in the U.S. I would imagine it is perfectly legal for the U.S. to respond with retaliatority tariffs to even the playing field.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm certainly not an expert in the live hog market or NAFTA, but if Canada was dumping below market hogs in the U.S. I would imagine it is perfectly legal for the U.S. to respond with retaliatority tariffs to even the playing field.

And if thier action is wrong, then Canada can appeal or seek damages etc.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
NAFTA is a free trade agreement - and there should be no tariffs. Mad Cow-based restrictions, softwood lumber and now this hog tariff are hardball trade code meaning "We want something else."

Oh Soficrow, in the midst of yet another Anti Bush rant, you lose sight of the FACTS. Or at the very least did not read the referenced article and shot from the hip as it were:

The tariffs were raised in OCTOBER
of last year well before Canada said no to the missile shield. Perhaps the "We want something else." is a fair trade policy hmmmmmm. Not quite as sexy as political retaliation, but oh well.

The Commerce Department on Monday affirmed its preliminary ruling last October. The department modified the penalties, which it had set at an average of 14.01 percent.

Higher duties have been in effect since October and are being held in special accounts until the case is finalized.
October Tarrifs

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Perhaps I'm not quite on track here, but it's not Canada 'dumping' their product. Our farms are not state run operations. These are private farmers able to produce their product at a cheaper rate than their American counterpart, or are comfortable making less profit per pig than American farmers. There is no 'dumping' going on, as these farmers have to make a living. Perhaps American farmers should match the price... it's called competition... it's why I buy stuff at Wal-Mart instead of our Canadian counterpart 'The Bay', cuz it's cheaper... but you don't see us putting tariffs on American stuff that undercuts our ability to compete... but then again, the US hasn't played fair so far, even gone against WTO rulings in the softwood lumber case... and they probably never will. I agree with buddy before me, if the states wants to play like that, lets just sell it to China.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

NAFTA is a free trade agreement - and there should be no tariffs. Mad Cow-based restrictions, softwood lumber and now this hog tariff are hardball trade code meaning "We want something else."

Oh Soficrow, in the midst of yet another Anti Bush rant, you lose sight of the FACTS.

Didn't mention Bush, wasn't ranting. Talked about free trade and NAFTA. ...Sorry if I stepped on your press release.

Or at the very least did not read the referenced article and shot from the hip as it were:

The tariffs were raised in OCTOBER
of last year well before Canada said no to the missile shield.

NAFTA expansion and NORTHCOM negotiations are ongoing. My overview is a bit more comprehensive than the traditional 30-second 25-byte one-issue disconnected average. Plus, I have a memory.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Sofi I think FredT forgot the bush warning, "you are either with us or against us"

I also believe that the since Canada is not bending to the missile program like in the Canadian border is going to become very hard.

This hog problem is not going to be the only one for Canada.

I am staying away from meat for now.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Didn't mention Bush, wasn't ranting. Talked about free trade and NAFTA. ...Sorry if I stepped on your press release.

Hmmmm

NAFTA is a free trade agreement - and there should be no tariffs. Mad Cow-based restrictions, softwood lumber and now this hog tariff are hardball trade code meaning "We want something else." IMO - that something else is Martin's signature on an open contract for NORTHCOM.

Sorry if I put a speed bump in one of your latest anti-Bush / American rants but the above statements about linking it with NORTHCOM and previous statements you have made naturally lead one to the logical conclution: Its either Bush's fault or we can chalk this one up to FMD or both :shk:

Please explain why it is wrong to block mad cow tainted cows on the market? Would it be fair if we say dumped a product at below cost and killed off a Canadian industry??

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Was there not a recent thread where a whole lot of mostly non-Canadians ranted and raved about Canada's trade agreement with China? Why if memory serves me, there certainly was.

I suppose we Canadians are supposed to sit back and watch our perishable goods perish because Bush or whatever government is in power south of the 49th, stops or slows the flow.

It was 4 years ago I brought up the issue myself with a few others (in business) that Canada has to reduce dependancy on the US for export and start expanding our trade with several other countries. It is the one piece of credit I give to Martin for looking to do so, and if he keeps it up, who cares if our hogs or steer are declined their green cards?

The U.S government is doing a mighty fine job of making Martin look good for the China decision, I hope they keep it up.

Simply amazing how selfishly over patriotic some people are.

new topics

top topics

join