It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cleaning Day...Arrrrrgh!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
We've been putting it off for a while, procrastinating I guess, but today was the day to clean out our office in the house.

So far we have hauled out (3) contractor grade 55 gal. garbage bags of stuff, and it doesn't even look like we've made much of a dent! I swear, I feel like we're hoarders or something! We have managed to neatly stack, pack, pile, wedge, cram, and stuff all manner of things into the office.

You see, I have a confession to make; I have an affliction called "Flat Surface Syndrome". If there is a flat surface somewhere, I will put something on it, and I will continue to put stuff on it until it is no longer a flat surface. My wife, on the other hand, has Serial Neurosis about keeping the kitchen counters, island and hutch free from 'stuff'. And, the kitchen is a wonderland of flat surfaces for someone like me. So, she has this habit of picking everything up off the counter and sticking it, randomly, in a box, and then sticking the box in...the office.

So the office winds up being the dumping ground for all the stuff cleaned off the kitchen counters. BUT, then periodically, we will attempt to clean the office, which is an overwhelming chore, and wind up neatly stacking all the random stuff in a very efficient pile of "CRAP". After a while, the office becomes this mammoth junk pile, but it's NOT junk!

Today was the day. Roll up the sleeves and start digging, sorting and most importantly trashing stuff. I did find some interesting stuff though.

I found:

- a whole box of RS-232 serial cables
- about (25) rolls of undeveloped film (hmmmm...wonder what's on them?)
- about (17) different key rings, all with keys on them...which I have no idea what they go to.
- about 23 miles of RJ-45 patch cords
- an entire shoe box full of 3.5" floppy discs
- about (25) CD's marked "Do not throw away" (but no indication of why)
- some crap I don't even know what it is
- about 900 screws, bolts, batteries, chargers, pens, pencils and more stuff I don't know what it is.
- (4) laptop computers
- (12) old hard drives
- (2) SCSI tape drives and boxes of tapes

Well, you get the idea.

Whew...break time!

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Haha! Sounds like my Husband and I. We both have too much stuff, but most of it is good stuff. We have both started throwing some of the stuff out or giving stuff away. As for the good stuff, we either have to make room for it where rooms will be neat and tidy or...give more stuff away.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
We've been putting it off for a while, procrastinating I guess, but today was the day to clean out our office in the house.

I found:

- a whole box of RS-232 serial cables
- about (25) rolls of undeveloped film (hmmmm...wonder what's on them?)
- about (17) different key rings, all with keys on them...which I have no idea what they go to.
- about 23 miles of RJ-45 patch cords
- an entire shoe box full of 3.5" floppy discs
- about (25) CD's marked "Do not throw away" (but no indication of why)
- some crap I don't even know what it is
- about 900 screws, bolts, batteries, chargers, pens, pencils and more stuff I don't know what it is.
- (4) laptop computers
- (12) old hard drives
- (2) SCSI tape drives and boxes of tapes

”....And A Partridge In A Pear Tree!...”

Too soon?

My problem; no flat horizontal surface is complete unless it has at least one layer of books upon it!
edit on 10-11-2019 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I do feel your pain,trust me.We have 2 home offices in our home,
mine in the basement,hubbies in a spare bedroom.I used to have
a floral business in my home and what's left of the inventory is still
in my basement.I did give a lot of things away to friend's who have a
party barn.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   

welcome to the clan of the packaratious, we are a large clan of diverse folks.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I finally tossed our old floppy disc's.
Will there be prizes???

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Ah yes, clutter! It's a lifestyle.

We resemble that remark. There is always a reason why something needs to stay instead of go.

new topics

top topics

join