It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My New 1280 Lbs Pull Force Magnet - Did I find a Leprachaun Pot ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

That cauldron is lovely! Nice finds.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Smelting pots don't have ornamental ribs on them like this one does. They would cause uneven heating in a furnace and would break. Smelting pots usually don't have legs either, for the same reason, differential heating (some do, but those are really old).

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I just noticed something else.

Looks like the toys are steel, whereas the pot is clearly cast iron. I definitely think the tools and the pot are unrelated in origin. The tools may have wound up in the pot, but they didn't start there would be my guess.

If I were to venture a guess on what happened; someone put the tools in the pot and left it outside. The pot got water in it and the tools along with the inside of the pot rusted. So, whomever it was figured the pot and tools were ruined and just tossed the whole thing in the river.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I think you aught to tell these guys just where your magnet fishing, cos it looks to me like it's on a canal. Not some random river or lake but a much used waterway.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Thanks for showing me that technique to stabilize it against rust.

It doesn't look too bad outside but the mud inside made a crust, I didn't want to scratch it.

I'll try to clean it when I have a chance. Maybe something written under the crust. Then I'll get some photos😀👍

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

It's a river. Passaic river. NJ. I can share the spot😀👍

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Cool hobby man

I can imagine the excitement when finding stuff

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

You won't scratch it. Cast iron is some pretty tough stuff.

Get that crust and stuff out of/off of the pot as quickly as possible. Even though it may seem dry, the rust will continue to corrode the pot just from the moisture in the air if the rust left on there.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Hopefully I have a chance to do that this week. I just got a permission for another place near a lake.

I wish I was retired so I could do this full time😀👍

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
Cool hobby man

I can imagine the excitement when finding stuff

Oh man, beyond words👍

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: sapien82

Smelting pots don't have ornamental ribs on them like this one does. They would cause uneven heating in a furnace and would break. Smelting pots usually don't have legs either, for the same reason, differential heating (some do, but those are really old).

Is it possible these examples are misidentified?

Antique Iron Smelting Pot
www.letgo.com...

edit on 11-11-2019 by Caractacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think some people are thinking about it backwards.....the pot would have held the fire for melting the tin or whatever

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I can't say it's this old but the pot looks like it would be used for cooking on a fireplace hearth. Before wood stoves. The legs are for placing the pot in the fire and retain its upright and level position.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   
That thing with the chain on it....know I've seen one, might even have one. Can't for the life of me remember what it is

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well, now you can honestly say that because of the magnet you actually do have a pot to piss in.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Argen
That thing with the chain on it....know I've seen one, might even have one. Can't for the life of me remember what it is

You know what..., I had the same thought about it. Can't remember where I saw it before.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   

The tiny anvil and hammers (?) - could be for fine workmanship. I have a tiny anvil somewhere for working small items.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Are there no markings in or on the cauldron/pot?

Using a few terms in Google brings up some stuff that looks really close to what you have. Just thinking to look for any identifying marks.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

originally posted by: Argen

You know what..., I had the same thought about it. Can't remember where I saw it before.

I briefly thought some kind of shackles. Like primitive handcuffs, but couldn't find any examples of shackles that looked like that.

I also thought possible handle mechanism for the kettle/cauldron/smelting pot.

Or maybe a mechanism that the Pot would hang from when hung?

The size of the tools suggests small-work. The little anvil was sometimes called a jewelers anvil. Ditto the little hammer.

Any luck finding any makers mark on the little anvil or the pot?

edit on 11-11-2019 by Caractacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23
The tiny anvil and hammers (?) - could be for fine workmanship. I have a tiny anvil somewhere for working small items.

Is not that I don't believe you but it would be great if you can post a pic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join