It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can This Teenager Use a Rotary Phone?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Of course in those days I doubt many of the people who were watching it had any kind of BS detectors...

Au contraire! The BS detectors were much better in those days.... The dumbing down of American came after that. And it was done by those running the show now -- the Boomers. Their forebears (who knew better and tried to warn us) are pretty much gone now.

And those few who are left get no respect from the young generations who think they know so much better... again, thanks to Boomers.

I see it every day right here on ATS...

Ellen is funny and harmless...

And we can all benefit from a little harmless fun!

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

originally posted by: gallop
You literally are you name !!

folding maps, washing pans, life... crikey !!

You are dead wrong.

At least the bit about washing pans. Few are aware of my commercial dishwashing prowess. I've out-dished Mexicans. That might seem like a strange boast. You'd only understand if you've been in the pit.

I cannot argue with the rest. In fact, logic suggests that if you've been a dishwasher long enough to brag about dishwashing skills: you're bad at life. Guilty as charged.

It's gotten real bad these past several years.

I am totally in love with you.

Marry me you you crazy woman holy buckets, marry me...

What an awesome chance you are. I am delighted.

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop

You're a sweet horse, but I'm already married.

Plus, I am male.

Hey wait a minute...are you pokin fun at me, saying dishwashing is womens' work?

I am slow. Dishwashers: we don't have time to develop wit.

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

You're a sweet horse, but I'm already married.

Plus, I am male.

Hey wait a minute...are you pokin fun at me, saying dishwashing is womens' work?

I am slow. Dishwashers: we don't have time to develop wit.

YOURE A MALE????

I dont care.. in a wig, who knows...

You're a good one... never change, hey.

*hand out wigs*

Unless you wanna marry some bloke from the net..

man I wish you were a chick... haha..

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

This is why I am a dictionary of excuses. I have had to talk my way out of many awkward scenarios.

edit on 11/9/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

So this will be much funnier for us old folks than for the young 'uns here... but I couldn't resist posting.

Ok boomer.

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

That might seem like a strange boast. You'd only understand if you've been in the pit.

I learned two things from my short stint working in food service. You don't f with the dishwasher or the head chef.
The head chef was more bark than bite, but the dishwashers were the silent but deadly types.

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Ok boomer.

LOL! That was funny -- good one

Whether or not I'm actually a Boomer depends on who's defining the generations, and I personally refuse to align myself with any generation (!), but I'll take it just for the laugh! You know the old saying, "I refuse to belong to any group that would have ME as a member!"

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

You two are as funny as the video in the OP!

And it's much appreciated!

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

This is true. Most do not realize the power a dishwasher has in smooth food service ops.

If waitstaff, cooks, bartenders, or anyone else messes with him/her, the dishwasher can bring the entire works to a screeching halt and watch in vengeful glee as orders stack up and customers walk out.

I don't eat at restaurants often, but when I do, I like to send a fiver back to the dishwasher (on top of whatever I'd normally tip FOH).

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Fail on all levels...she literally watched the map be unfolded...its automotive in the yellow pages...and dialing numbers before picking up the phone...rookie mistake. I understand some of these things might be foriegn in everyday life...but its still in movies and stuff...lord knows there has to be a youtube video to explain it though.

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

I understand some of these things might be foriegn in everyday life...but its still in movies and stuff...

Do kids watch old TV shows and movies?

I don't really know... but we watch a lot of old movies and I tend to pay attention to who the advertisers are targeting, and it sure seems the old movies and TV shows cater to old folks!

I checked youtube just for kicks and giggles:

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Lmao...my wife who is 6 years younger than I loves the old movies more than I do so I don't know. I could see her having issues with the map and phone book though. I think my favorite one of these was the picture of a cassette tape and a pencil eraser asking what do these things mean to each other.

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
We are doomed!!

Great video! but to be fair just knowing what somthing is doesn't mean one can use it correctly, folding map's sucks and can make people mental! ah hell kid's have never seen that stuff before, perhaps still worth knowing if all the cell phones went off, heck who has land lines anymore, Golden Muffler, oh no got to find the yellow pages, oh wait! gimmie the white pages, damn why did i try folding that stupid map

Lol maybe

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Lmao...my wife who is 6 years younger than I loves the old movies more than I do so I don't know. I could see her having issues with the map and phone book though.

That's good to hear! Not sure exactly why though...

I like watching old westerns especially because it reminds of watching them with my parents as a little girl and drinking hot chocolate. And my hubby likes the older ones from the 30s and 40s -- especially for the classic cars -- and it's fun watching with him too.

Maybe I enjoy it so much just because that's my lazy and stupid time when I don't have to think or do anything!

edit on 9-11-2019 by Boadicea because: deleted random words

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TimHeller
We are doomed!!

Great video! but to be fair just knowing what somthing is doesn't mean one can use it correctly, folding map's sucks and can make people mental! ah hell kid's have never seen that stuff before, perhaps still worth knowing if all the cell phones went off, heck who has land lines anymore, Golden Muffler, oh no got to find the yellow pages, oh wait! gimmie the white pages, damn why did i try folding that stupid map

Lol maybe

I think the whole reason it's funnier for us old folks than the kids is exactly because they don't know and have no frame of reference...

For those of us who used that "technology" on a daily basis, almost second nature because it was such a common thing, it's funny to think how much a part of our lives it once was... and so alien to today's generation!

I hated looking up numbers in the yellow pages. Especially when they started selling ads that took up a whole page! Just slowed you down trying to find the number you wanted. Grrrrr! And as I remember, the yellow pages used to have a few car service joints listed alphabetically under their speciality, like "muffler shops" or "transmissions" so I probably would have taken a chance on looking up "muffler" before "automotive" and just to narrow my choices.

When my kids were young and I was a stay-at-home-mom, I used to deliver phone books! We had an old beater pickup that I'd load and deliver while the kids were at school. Made decent money for it too. Earlybirds got their choice of routes and I made sure I got there as early as possible.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join