It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Smelly Readers Banned From California Library

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Libraries in the California county of San Luis Obispo have given the authority to kick out patrons who smell bad. The country has had a law on the books banning offensive body odor since 1994. However the Board of Supervisors have adopted an ordinance which allows the libraries to kick the guests out. Other offensives that can warrant expulsion include fighting, eating, drinking, sleeping, playing games, and printing or viewing illegal materials on library computers.

sfgate.com
A new county law aims to keep readers from reeking. Libraries in San Luis Obispo County have had their own rules banning offensive body odor since 1994, but the policy became law after the Board of Supervisors last month adopted an ordinance that lets authorities kick out malodorous guests.

Visitors to 14 libraries and a bookmobile also could be asked to leave for fighting, eating, drinking, sleeping, playing games, and printing or viewing illegal materials on library computers.

"The point is to make the library a comfortable, safe place for everyone to use," said Moe McGee, assistant director of the San Luis Obispo City-County Library.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Nothing worse than being stuck next to someone who simply smells bad. From that guy who thinks a tic tac will cover the day of boozing to someone who has clearly not bathed. I would like to see this applied to commercial airline flights as well. I had to fly with a guy that while he was 5 rows away, you could smell him. I can only imagine the hell the people right near him went through.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This should be the law in all public places. Anyone smelling foul should not only be kicked out of the premises but incarcerated until they have 3 consecutive hot showers.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I think showering and bathing should be encouraged everywhere.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I suspect the law is designed more to stop the homeless from hanging out in the library than to encourage proper hygeine.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

On the other hand I have also known many "bookish" people with body and dental hygeine problems. If the library can clean them up a bit then I say go library.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Actually we as human has forgotten about the natural body odors, we has lost that due to the emphasis on good smells and excessive washing.

My husband said that when he was in Europe people smells, but after a while you get used to.

But when you come back to the states the smells of perfume and cologne irritate the sinus, until you get used to that again.

On the on the other hand nobody wants somebody that smells bad.

But I tell you when somebody gets close to me with ship cologne or perfume I will get the sniffles.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Marg, there are natural body odors, then we have a few citizens that are sporting some serious funk
. I think those are the ones they are targeting. Have you ever smelled someone who has worked his way through a case of beer over the course of a day

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I agree with the homeless issue. They take up residense in the library.

Would you let your kids go to a place where homeless people hang out?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Marg,

You're so funny!
I had an asthma (?) attack at work today because of somebodys cheap perfume
Its funny now, i only wish they'd spend two dollars more and get the better stuff

When i lived in Cape Cod everyone smelled fishy. Here everyone sprays way too much Eau de Toilette

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Well as nice as this law sounds, I see a problem. What about homeless people? Sure they don't pay taxes but do we really have the right to deny common knowledge. Just thinking of the site motto.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Well as nice as this law sounds, I see a problem. What about homeless people? Sure they don't pay taxes but do we really have the right to deny common knowledge. Just thinking of the site motto.

They are not being denied. Only their odours are. I pity the homeless but cleanliness is accessible to all.

No different than "No Shirt No Shoes No Service"

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I believe that the body itself doesn't stink or smell bad, so to say.

It's the bacteria's waste products that causes the actual odor.

Like it was mentioned, cleanliness is accessible to all, so wash your stinking self!

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Marg,

When i lived in Cape Cod everyone smelled fishy. Here everyone sprays way too much Eau de Toilette

Well when I was in North Carolina in Jacksonville, the place during the summer used to smell like rotten eggs every morning.

It was awful.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Hello all, I don't think you know the significance of this topic, So now you cannot smell NATURALLY. I know it's only in library's, soon it will be in the workplace.....but you can put all the skin cancer causing perfume you like. Funny world ain't it!

Smelling is COMPLETELY natural and every animal does it. Yes a human being is just animal just like any other accept some of us have decent working brains. You actually smell of what you eat....or smoke.

For intance when you eat certain foods you simply cannot have a shower and you smell perfect. The people who smell are the REAL people who just don't give a toss about anyone elses that want's to smell roses all day long!

Personally I like my own personal smell every human smell's unique that's why it is important I know it sound's nasty but imagine your in a room, when another person walks in you would know who they are before you speak to them. This is what EVERY dog does. We should not have to be banned/kicked out simply because we smell.

If the person does not want to sit next to you because you smeel, tell them to go somewhere else or stick with it. That's ther're choice not the F*****g government to decide.

As for the homeless just give your kid a knife teach how to use it safely then let 'em take care of themselves. They can do it they ain't stupid!

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Smell is like the truth a LITTLE BIT goes a long way....

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Since when is the "right to be free from offensve odors" a part of the constitution or bill of rghts?
Have any of you sonsidered how subjective the term "offensive odors" is?
Is the smell of old spice offensive? I bet some find it so.
Consider this who gets to decide which odors are classed as offensve?
What about somene who wears too much cologne?
What if you ate garlic bread for lunch?
Think people is this really a good thing?
denial of a public service due to a subjective standard?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
This must feel like discrimination to those who smell bad because of a medical condition. I cant remember any specific ones, but there's at least few. Shouldn't the law say that you can stink if you cant help it? I mean if you're dirty and haven't showered you can be kicked out but if you're simply sick then it's ok to smell bad. Laws are funny this way, unclear and unspecific.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by PsykoOps]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   
In the NYC public library across from the one with the lions, they have a sign in the bathroom that reads, "No bathing in the sink". The homeless hanging out in a library is a big issue, one that should be solved with better shelters. Once you kick them out of the library, they need a place to go.

top topics

join