It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus did not preach a salvation theology consider the Gospel of Thomas and Gnosis vs Salvation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: Raggedyman

Don't ya hate when things are stupid...

Triggered Ak?
There there, you hate my faith and I think yours is silly, do we want to do this again?

There are some very stupid saying in the book of Thomas
It was left out because Many scholars didn’t think it was valid
It’s also not a gospel, just a collection of quotes
That’s not just my opinion

Go have a cookie

lol hardly... but we get it, you think its stupid... though im sure you haven't even read it...

And by the way... the gospel of Thomas wasn't even considered for entry of the books in the bible... rejected long before Laodicea...

but thanks for coming out champ

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I only read the good bits Ak
I am pretty sure the church fathers got it right in this instance
“Drink water from Christ’s mouth” hmmm
Water is the word is it? Thought Jesus was the ..”Word”
Akin to worshiping the bible in my opinion, like many Christians do.

I have issues with any beliefs that has secret teachings only a few know and understand
Tends to lead many astray

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

It's a ridiculous dogma. And show me where he said he would die for our sins. No twisting scripture and interpreting tricks. Show me where he said that?

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11

Show me where he said that?

No!

You've already closed your mind to any dialogue on the subject. I will not fuel your ego any further. Ask God for the answers yourself, if its not too far beneath you to humble yourself before the Lord.

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I will never humble myself for a phony god that doesn't exist. That would be silly. And Jesus never said that which is why you can't prove it. Which proves your a liar.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 03:43 AM
link   
“Gnostic” and “Apocryphal” come from Greek words that can refer to “secret knowledge” and “carefully concealed” respectively. These terms are used to refer to spurious or uncanonical writings that attempt to imitate the Gospels, Acts, letters, and the revelations in the canonical books of the Christian Greek Scriptures. The Gospel of Thomas is an example.

Internal evidence confirms the clear division made between the inspired and the spurious works. The apocryphal writings are much inferior and often fanciful and childish. They are frequently inaccurate. Note the following statements by scholars on these noncanonical books:

“There is no question of any one’s having excluded them from the New Testament: they have done that for themselves.”—M. R. James, The Apocryphal New Testament, p. xii.

“We have only to compare our New Testament books as a whole with other literature of the kind to realise how wide is the gulf which separates them from it. The uncanonical gospels, it is often said, are in reality the best evidence for the canonical.”—G. Milligan, The New Testament Documents, p. 228.

“Much of the Gospel of Thomas is plainly later and untrustworthy tradition . . . of no use for determining what Jesus said and did.”—F. V. Filson, The Biblical Archaeologist, 1961, p. 18.

“There is no known extra-cononical Gospel material which is not (when it can be tested at all) in some way subject to suspicion for its genuineness or orthodoxy.”—C. F. D. Moule, The Birth of the New Testament, p. 192.

“It cannot be said of a single writing preserved to us from the early period of the Church outside the New Testament that it could properly be added today to the Canon.”—K. Aland, The Problem of the New Testament Canon, p. 24.

Source: Early Catalogues and the Christian Greek Scripture Canon (1963)

More info:

Why Trust the Canonical Gospels Over Any Apocryphal Writings (2010)

“They have become a tremendous success. They have inspired films that cost millions . . . and best sellers . . . Christian sects have adopted them. They have given rise to religions and conspiratorial theories.”​—SUPER INTERESSANTE, A BRAZILIAN NEWS MAGAZINE.

WHAT was all the excitement about? The magazine was commenting on the recent popular interest and activities centered on a collection of pseudo gospels, epistles, and apocalypses discovered in the mid-20th century in Nag Hammadi and elsewhere in Egypt. These and other documents of this type have generally been referred to as Gnostic or Apocryphal writings. *

Was There a Conspiracy?

In an age when people generally are cynical about the Bible and orthodox religions, the Gnostic or Apocryphal writings seem to have struck a responsive chord. These writings have had a great influence on the way many view the teachings of Jesus Christ and Christianity itself. As one magazine stated: “The Gospel of Thomas and other apocryphal [works] speak to the heart of a group of people that continues to grow in modern times: those who are eager for spirituality but distrust religion.” It has been calculated that in Brazil alone “there are at least 30 groups whose beliefs are based on the Apocrypha.”

The discovery of these documents has popularized the theory that in the fourth century C.E., the Catholic Church conspired to cover up the truth about Jesus, that some accounts of his life presented in the Apocryphal writings were suppressed, and that the four Gospels found in modern Bibles were altered. Elaine Pagels, professor of religion, put it this way: “We now begin to see that what we call Christianity​—and what we identify as Christian tradition—​actually represents only a small selection of specific sources, chosen from among dozens of others.”

In the opinion of scholars like Pagels, the Bible is not the only source of Christian faith; there are other sources, such as the Apocryphal writings. For example, a BBC program entitled Bible Mysteries, “The Real Mary Magdalene” observed that the Apocryphal writings present Mary Magdalene as “a teacher and spiritual guide to the other disciples. She’s not just a disciple; she’s the apostle to the apostles.” ...

edit on 10-11-2019 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic
Know Thyself as the knower..... not the doer.
The knower is invisible.... never appearing.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   
"Gnostic" and "Apocryphal" are different things. "Gnostic" texts are a subset of "Apocryphal" writings. "Apocryphal" are simply non-canonical books that were rejected by the Church for inclusion into the Bible. There's any number of reasons why that could have been and lends itself to a dozen different theories, conspiracy or otherwise. That doesn't mean Apocryphal texts are or are not legitimate writings, as much as any biblical text can be.
edit on 11-11-2019 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-11-2019 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join