It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ms Monopoly just a game or so much more?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
www.cnbc.com...

Toymaker Hasbro announced this week the rollout of the board game in which female players receive $1,900 at the beginning of the game, compared with $1,500 for male players. Girls also get $240 each time they pass “Go” on the board, while boys get just $200. Instead of a real-estate mogul, Ms. Monopoly invests in female entrepreneurs.

Just what boys and girls want for Christmas - NOT!

This pretty much sums up a lot of the problems in the US. We take a problem, don't understand it, and just either throw money at it or take money from someone/somewhere else. It doesn't work, it never works. Does this sound familiar??? Oh, we all know this isn't just about money!
Nothing like taking the most fair game on earth, where everyone starts with the same amount of money and making it unfair!

The article mentions that women ask for raises as much as men. I think that is false. (I clicked the link to the study, which was done in Australia)
That article even says

One common explanation is that women are less likely to negotiate their salaries.
Hello, no negotiating is NOT asking! For both men and women, negotiation time is often one of the only time to get a raise.

This game is also terrible because it teaches girls and boys that girls are not capable and need extra help.

I'm not silly, I know there are many cases where women do not make the same as their male counterpart for identical jobs. We need to work on that.
We also need to accept that jobs are not all identical and not all people bring the same skill/education/work ethic to the table.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
Absolutely stupid.
I hope nobody buys this game, but I'm sure some "enlightened" em, person will.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Absolutely stupid.

Isn't it sad that even this classic, fair, fun game has to be "fixed"

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm sure it will be a huge success, and some moring television show (hosted by three middle aged women) will praise it for how they're closing the sexist wage gap by treating women... ehem... like they're worth a different salary based solely on their gender.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Looks like a corporation is just trying to cash out by pandering and virtue signaling.

Anyone truly concerned about equality wouldn't teach someone to play with a loaded deck... You'd teach that we are inherently equal, and you're capable of winning without an advantage out the gate.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Why the need for this? Are women somehow mentally disabled and need some extra help like kids? Because that's what it says to me. Very patronising.
Next: Nagger Monopoly where Black people get extra cash and houses compared to whites. Oops, no that would be really bad for obvious reasons. So is this.

A woman who can play Monopoly quite well.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

It seems like a not so brilliant marketing strategy that cuts the number of potential sales in half.... at least.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

This game is also terrible because it teaches girls and boys that girls are not capable and need extra help.

This in spades. If I was a father of a daughter I'd be really pissed about this.

How patronizing and insulting to girls!

I'm baffled why they wouldn't have taken the approach of including Chance Cards that would levy fines for discrimination or harassment and make those topics gender and race neutral.

At least that would have made some sense.

Moreover, for a game about real estate, wage discrimination has almost nothing to do with that industry. When there's discrimination in realty, it's usually housing or lending discrimination. So they even seem confused about that.

The only thing worse than virtue signaling is a business that virtue signals.

Just gross all the way around.

edit on 7-11-2019 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
But...the leftys used to complain about monopoly being capitalist brainwashing!

Oh well now they can complain about this new version becuase its still capitalist brainwashing,but with a side of encouragment of female entitlement.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This will end up in Dollar General and the Dollar Tree in grand quantities by mid-February much like the 80's throwback version of Trivial Pursuit and the emoji game.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I see two ways this might not go according to plan.

Female players being traumatised because they go into the game with a built-in advantage and still lose. What message will that send?

An epidemic of male players declaring themselves to be transgender for the duration of the game. Will the feminists dare to complain that this is against the rules?

edit on 7-11-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Absolutely stupid.

Yup ,they will not even see the fact that it will make girls think that they need help or it will make them think that they are entitled to more from the beginning.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Good point. The thought crossed my mind, and I wondered how much some guys would gloat after winning when the girls had such an advantage at the start.

link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

That's pretty funny.

link   
That's really ree-ree as hell here. My kids play classic Monopoly all the time, their games can literally stretch on for 2 or 3 days while they try to screw each other into the poorhouse to win.

And they're girls. They don't need a special "girlie edition" to rule the board and wafflestomp adults playing. Grow up, feminists.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

So, monopoly with a handicap for girls? Couldn't you just play actual monopoly with those rules if you really, really wanted to?

Now what about if I choose to temporarily identify as a temporally gender fluid female for the duration of the game? Do I get the bonus then?

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I might buy one and keep it as a collector item. The history books are going to view this era as being batsh*t crazy. I can see all this stuff being a museum showing how nuts some people were...

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I might buy one and keep it as a collector item. The history books are going to view this era as being batsh*t crazy. I can see all this stuff being a museum showing how nuts some people were...

You'll know it's definitely time for that Giant Meteor everyone's been waiting for if they dicker with chess or Go, to femmie them up.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This is the definition of sexism built in to a game as systemic favoritism. What could possibly go wrong? It will make girls growing up feel entitled and boys grow up pissed off...brilliant.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   
🤔... and they tested this game on the dynamics of what sort of audience ? Can’t believe it made it to the shelves.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join