It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Confirm The Discovery Of A Mysterious Interstellar Space Boundary

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   

NASA scientists behind the Voyager mission are on the brink of something huge – literally. Recent findings from the Voyager 2 probe confirm there is a distinct – albeit mysterious – boundary known as the heliopause between the local space we are in and interstellar space.

Spacecraft Voyager 2 joined its sister craft Voyager 1 on November 5, 2018, when it passed through the interstellar medium. It’s only now that researchers are learning about the space environment the craft is currently moving through.

“This is a watershed moment in our exploration of space: we have for the first time left the confines of ‘home’ and are taking our very first tentative steps into the interstellar space – the Milky Way galaxy of which we are a part,” explained NASA astrophysicist Jeffrey Hayes to IFLScience. “That’s an amazing distance to come in only 62 years, since the launch of the first satellite. Who knows what the next 62 will bring?”

“The heliopause acts as a somewhat porous boundary that only allows some particles to traverse it," said Hayes. “Because we have only very recently passed through it – in 2012 with Voyager 1, and now with Voyager 2, there are still a lot of aspects of this we don’t understand.”

Voyager 2 also observed that the magnetic field outside of the heliopause is slightly stronger than measurements taken by Voyager 1, which seems to indicate that the interstellar magnetic field changes over small distances. Unexpectedly, charged particles carried by solar wind also appear to “leak” out into interstellar space.

Source

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   
If aliens are smart enough to get here, they’re probably smart enough to put a wall around us.

(post by grey580 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Now we know the real reason behind Space Force!

Zeta Reticuli isn’t sending us their best..

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks
LOL I thought the same thing, but apparently, if voyager got through, they need a better wall.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Probably the end of our simulation...

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

That did come to mind

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I imagine once it reaches a point beyond influence of our solar system gravity well that it will speed up significantly.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Except it can't without some form of additional propellant, be that engineered or otherwise. That said, if it did, well.. that would be interesting.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Probably the end of our simulation...

Unfortunately, Voyager missed the big flashing neon sign saying...

"Level Two".

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
I imagine once it reaches a point beyond influence of our solar system gravity well that it will speed up significantly.

I'm thinking that it will pretty much continue on at the same speed forever, with possibly a little slowing over time due to space not quite being a true vacuum. If it gets close to another star a few hundred thousand years in the future, then it may speed up as it falls toward it.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I have the feeling that we have already been there and we have been sanctioned, as a deadly and warlike race of beings. Am i wrong? I hope so, but i fear that i may be right. We humans are not yet ready to greet our interstellar partners, we see every other race and civilisation as a threat. We will probably end up with the #ty end of the stick, as races go, like the `greys, they are here to do a job, and not to interact with the natives, that is a definite no-go area. So why are we so surprised when we get the same treatment? Doesn't make sense, only of course it matters the most to those with the knowledge that this is so, and that our next move will be seen as suicidal, of that i have no doubt, because our so-called Leaders havent a friggin clue. I hope i have made myself clear on this....Do not follow them into the abyss........we are all of us in great danger. -PWM-

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: playswithmachines
I have the feeling that we have already been there and we have been sanctioned, as a deadly and warlike race of beings. Am i wrong?

Probably. If nature extends out into space the same way it works on Earth, then it's eat or be eaten and it's been going on for millions of years. So imagine brilliant, spacefaring aliens who have a radiation shielding exoskeleton and a mouth full of teeth that would make a shark go "whoa." Fighting hundreds if not thousands of alien species that are as or more vicious and deadly as they are.

And here we are skinny little naked apes, a tiny few of whom have figured out how to blow things up with atoms. I would expect them to completely ignore us as non-threatening and not even worth the time or energy to destroy.
edit on 7-11-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

So that's where Trump got the idea from? Aliens...if only there was a meme to go with that...

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolvacron
You are assuming that there is nothing out there that could pull it.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Our Magnetosphere surrounding Earth is a much smaller version of the larger & powered up Force Field we term the Helio-Sphere

I have a notion that the Genesis God spoke of these 2 energetic Force Fields which protect Earth and protect the Solar System from the dangerous Cosmic Rays which can greatly harm 'Spiritual Entities' like Silver Bullets fired into a Vampire's body

the Magnetosphere & Heliosphere are Force Fields and a 'sign' of these 'End Times' is that God will Take Away the Restrainer i.e. the 'Protection' or 'cover' the World has enjoyed for All of History...

I make the connection that the Bibles 'Restrainer' is the language of a much wiser being talking down to the neo-lithic desert dwellers of 2000 bce… I suggest the magnetosphere and heliosphere will fundamentally collapse as part of the distresses brought upon men of Earth in the Tribulation Times

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   
You passed over the most impressive part of this discovery:
From; National Geographic

For the first time, researchers could see that as an object gets within 140 million miles of the heliopause, the plasma surrounding it slows, heats up, and gets more dense. And on the other side of the boundary, the interstellar medium is at least 54,000 degrees Fahrenheit, which is hotter than expected. However, this plasma is so thin and diffuse, the average temperature around the Voyager probes remains extremely cold.

Just to give you some perspective;

Photosphere:
The material that reaches the top of the convection zone cools by giving of light. This region of the Sun is the first part of the Sun that is visible to us and we call it the photosphere. This is where the light we see from the Sun originates. If we could look at the Sun directly (never stare at the Sun without the proper equipment) we would see the photosphere. Even though the layer is not solid we call this part of the Sun the surface and it is also where the solar atmosphere starts. Its temperature is around 5,800 Celsius or 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

And

Chromosphere:
Above the photosphere is a layer of the atmosphere about 2,000 km thick called the chromosphere. The temperature increases as you move higher to about 20,000 degrees Celsius (36,032 Fahrenheit) at the top of the chromosphere. The chromosphere is no longer white light like the photosphere but is mostly red in visible light. It can be seen as red flashes during a total solar eclipse.

That's crazy. Now I know that the sun is way hotter than the temperatures given, but those temps are the estimated temps for those regions of the sun. It would also be important to note that the barrier isn't a fully solid shape, but instead is a fractured shell surrounding us (think of an egg from the grocery store that has visible cracks but hasn't broken yet) Pretty weird stuff out there.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks
Mini in and that followed electrical universe predicted something similar.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The outer layer of the Matrix egg. This could be a Neo moment that shatters Re-Ality.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
Our Magnetosphere surrounding Earth is a much smaller version of the larger & powered up Force Field we term the Helio-Sphere

I have a notion that the Genesis God spoke of these 2 energetic Force Fields which protect Earth and protect the Solar System from the dangerous Cosmic Rays which can greatly harm 'Spiritual Entities' like Silver Bullets fired into a Vampire's body

the Magnetosphere & Heliosphere are Force Fields and a 'sign' of these 'End Times' is that God will Take Away the Restrainer i.e. the 'Protection' or 'cover' the World has enjoyed for All of History...

I make the connection that the Bibles 'Restrainer' is the language of a much wiser being talking down to the neo-lithic desert dwellers of 2000 bce… I suggest the magnetosphere and heliosphere will fundamentally collapse as part of the distresses brought upon men of Earth in the Tribulation Times

I don’t think we’re as significant as we think we are.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join