It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Set Up SSL Already.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Whats the deal guys?

Can you set up SSL/TLS and run a secure HTTPS site, please. I'm certain we would all appreciate encrypted data.

Also, can you please explain why this site requires that I allow almost 600 tracking cookies?

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

That is a lot of tracking cookies

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
That might explain the 600 banners I get on her daily that do not show up on other sites.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Are they chocolate chip tracking cookies or oatmeal raisin?
Cuz if they're oatmeal I'd be mad too..

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thundersmurf

That is a lot of tracking cookies

It's more than any other site I patronize. Combine that with the clear text unencrypted data?

HTTPS has become standardized for government and corporate web sites. It's pretty easy to set up, and can be tested and deployed in a matter of days with zero down time. over half of the internet uses HTTPS to protect user data. Considering the nature of this site it would make sense for ATS to move to a HTTPS only web presence.

Protect your users.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The biggest conspiracy site have all those cookies and no ssl is just a coincidence. Move along.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Protecting the text you post for the public to read?

There are threads here discussing the issues.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Doesnt bother me any. If anyone tracks what I post or figure out who I am. I fear no one.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Cookies can gather all kinds of sensitive information from your browser.

Sites without HTTPS are potentially vulnerable to information leaks. It comes down to a question of trust. How much do you trust ATS and the sponsors/ad companies this site is sharing data with. Because they have things like your IP address, your username, the password you use for this site, and potentially other personally identifiable information you store in your browser.

Without SSL/TLS and HTTPS that data is sent in clear form and will be sent to anyone ATS decides they want to share it with.

Back in the day I'm sure Mark and Simon and the gang had the best intentions for this place. Nowadays I don't trust any of them, or what they're doing with user data. Data is worth more than gold, literally. How do you think these guys pay the bills?

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: cognizant420

Good for you. That opinion probably represents less than 1% of users that patronize this site.

The whole, nothing to hide == nothing to fear moniker is a cop out.

There are very few steps required to create a secure and encrypted site for the users here. After nearly twenty years of making money off of the users and ad revenue generated by our data it would be really nice if the Amigos could secure this place based on best practices.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Posted earlier here, linked a quote from an Owner.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
A few things:

1) SSL is not free and costs extra for the host site to serve up pages beyond just the initial certification costs.
2) ATS is a very, very large site with over 24.5 million posts. Every last single page would require SSL to be compliant.
3) What deep secrets of a very shortly to be very publicly published post need protected from a possible man in the middle attack?

Question asked and answered, as it has many times in the past.

Thread Closed.

top topics

join