It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would intelligent life look like on other planets?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Realistically how would intelligent life look like on other planets?

From our own evolution we already know the basics that having 5 fingers with a thumb were essential for building tools and that walking upright allowed the development of the prefrontal cortex.

If these evolutionary processes for intelligent life are universal then shouldn't we also expect the same end result on other planets which is humanoid life. If so what type of humanoid life?

Would the evolution of life on other planets also start with fish , amphibians and reptiles or would it be something entirely different?

Can reptilian/amphibious lifeforms on other planets also evolve the capabilities of building tools and walking upright? Is that even possible? Or is the evolution for humanoid life only possible for primates?

edit on 5-11-2019 by HouseMusic4Life because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
We come from the aliens, made in THEIR image by crossing with an Earth born creature. So we already know that at least two species from this galaxy are bipedal.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
In answer to your thread title, certainly not like us!

Seriously though, if intelligent life evolves on other planets as humanoid / bipedal / upright, then there should be some kind of link between us and them.

Pretty hard to attribute all this to just mere coincidence. What are the odds?
edit on 5-11-2019 by Blastoff because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-11-2019 by Blastoff because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I would say most life in general we would not be able to see with our eyes, like most life on Earth we can't see with our eyes. A vast majority of it.

As for intelligent life, depends on the environment I guess. There is probably a variety of it. A larger world with four or five times the Earth's gravity probably wouldn't prefer bipedal life, but perhaps more stocky quadrupeds or a combination of four legs with two arms. Or even more legs. Can centipedes evolve to intelligence somewhere?

A lighter world might allow for gliding, for example, perhaps with webs between limbs to use air currents.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: HouseMusic4Life

I couldn't think of a description so I'll just post something a scientist said a while back:

"If I had to pick a basic design for life I'd probably go with something squid like. Eyes very near the brain, mouth, possibly something similar to ears like ours or some organ to hear sounds either that or something so far out there that we couldn't even imagine it"

I think it was Michio Kaku.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

LOL. Squids is also the first thought I had reading OP. Image a water world with some intelligent tool using squid like creatures. The only issue I see is fire. Figuring out how to use fire had great impact on human evolution imho.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Very true. I tried to come up with an answer but couldn't think of one. I mean there is heat at the bottom of the ocean with vents and all that lol.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   

If we're going to interact, Space exploration movies and shows have taught us that it's important they speak English, or that we have a universal translator handy.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Bugs. A billion years of evolution on Earth has sorted out that the most durable and efficient form of life not found in an ocean has six legs.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I got a few nominees for you

Sorry you said intelligent life

edit
also check your earliest trance music thread

edit on 5-11-2019 by UpIsNowDown because: traaaaaaance

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I'm not looking for it, so take my post with a grain of salt. I read, years ago, that MIT did a study into the theory of intelligent life evolution possibilities on other planets.

If I recall correctly, upright bipedal organisms with a central head like feature and two sets of limbs (arms, and legs) would actually be the most likely outcome for intelligence.

This had to do with the influence of gravity on a body structure. Combined with the advantages associated with transitioning to upright, freeing limbs for tool usage, invention and so on, additionally providing a plane of perspective advantage.

In a world of 4 legged organisms, close to the ground, a similar organism that stands up, has an observational advantage, height, (the high ground), and thus has a better angle of attack, on average.

Predators would be more likely to evolve intelligence than prey, due to the intellectual capacity needed to effectively hunt, so forward facing sense organs was also a common ground.

It really wouldn't be surprising if those similarities ended up being more or less universal.
edit on 5-11-2019 by Archivalist because: Dumb

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Pretty?

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I would imagine there are other life forms that use liquids that exist at higher or lower temperatures for blood other than water. And use some form of metabolism other than sugar metabolism for energy.

You might find this video fascinating for detecting life on other distant planets using telescopes orbiting Earth:

Adami is a bit of pompous jerk but the content of the video is amazingly cool towards the end.

edit on 5-11-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   
They would all look like me.

Actually, they could look like anything, I would guess if they were really intelligent they would not build weapons of war or destroy their environment like we do....maybe they would not have opposable thumbs. Maybe they would look like Dolphins or birds.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Perhaps they'll seem exactly the same as us upon their first greeting...

"Take me to your kebab van..."

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 01:32 AM
link   

"Intelligent life" is relative to the organized or chaotic system a particular life form exists within so your question is relative. A cockroach is the most and least evolved organism on Earth because it reached its evolutionary zenith millions of years ago. It has become the most adaptable organism on the planet. We could argue that "intelligence" is becoming so adept as an organism you are capable of existence everywhere under any condition.

We could go down the list of biological life forms and see how each and every one has adapted and continues to adapt to its changing environment through convergent evolution. The mako shark's favorite food is tuna which is why tuna are such fast swimmers. Which is why mako sharks are such fast swimmers. It's a never ending cycle of convergent evolution between the two species.

I like your question but I don't think it's limited to just consideration of humans and our evolution as "intelligent life". That's subjective and relative.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Why would you presume we are intelligent enough to be able to detect intelligent life.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Who says we're from amphibians or reptiles? That's just a theory. We're on our 3rd or 4th civilization in my opinion and we still haven't changed. Intelligent aliens probably look similar to us in build but it would depend on their planet on their size, etc.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I wonder what they would eat and drink...

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: rickymouse

I wonder what they would eat and drink...

Time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join