It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trumps Economic Policies Have Failed US Workers

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Houses thirty years ago weren't like houses today either. Thirty years ago, those houses didn't automatically come with central heat/air, a kitchen full of automated appliances, double the number of electrical outlets, and bathroom fixtures that cost five times as much. they were smaller, and designed to take advantage of economics in construction instead of "purty" facades that waste more lumber than they actually use to build them.

TheRedneck

All the houses around me were built over 30yrs ago, and are now starting at 250k in my hood (so I am lucky I got in when I did). Your dollar buying this house new 30yrs ago went a lot farther than today, there are metrics to show that.
edit on 7-11-2019 by KnoxMSP because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: jidnum

Research?

I lived thirty years ago. I remember forty years ago. I was there.

Yes, prices are higher today. The things being bought are simply worth more. I ran a house plan service for 20 years or so, and I saw the change I was referring to... I can show you a nice house right now, completely livable, two bedrooms and 1 1/2 baths, that can be built for under $40,000. But that's not what is being built... what is being built are $200,000 homes that then have to be heated and cooled and repaired, costing more in utilities and maintenance. A good 25% of the materials bought for the average home today is throw away because it's too small to use. Back in my day, a good contractor could build a house and almost carry the waste off in a single wheelbarrow.

if you think you can get a $200,000 house for $40,000, you are delusional. Bigger and better costs more, always has and always will. I live in a nice house that is around 1000 square feet. It has everything I need. If I wanted a 2500 square foot house, it would cost more to build, more to buy, and more to heat/maintain.

I see people every day living in hovels, too, but damn if they don't have that nice shiny smart phone out tapping on it! The payments they make on that phone could go to a better home like they say they want, but will they part with that luxury for it? Nope. People are going to have to either wake up and see that it is their own spending that is causing their problems, not the evil corporations that they work for. Either that, or continue living in squalor with pretty toys.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: KnoxMSP

That may be true enough, and I will admit I don't understand why anyone would pay that kind of money for a house. I was just pointing out that new housing is much less efficient and far too expensive to construct because of the luxuries they have. Not just add-ons, but the very facade, if inefficient, can be considered a luxury.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: dfnj2015

Meanwhile the stocks are breaking records for something like the 150th time, I've lost count. Trump's policies are helping me tremendously and the company I work for gave an across the board raise and set up an auto raise program. I just can't, for the life of me, understand why people like you wouldn't do some research of your own and stop relying on what a source beneficial to you would tell you to think.

EPI.org is a non-partisan group just studying economic numbers. Are you suggesting we ignore any economy measurements that do not agree with our preferred ideology?

Nope. I'm telling you to do actual research so you get actual and accurate information. When it comes to charts and graphs, different sources give different numbers. Research and make your own.

Have you done this and if so where?

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
I did an experiment a few years ago. I wanted to see how much I could earn online part-time with no skills needed. It started out slow figuring out how to do it but my earnings gradually increased over the course of a few months.

Within 6 months I was raking in 1K a month, part time no skills needed. I wasn't making videos, wasn't selling anything. Most of it was companies getting my thoughts on products, marketing strategies.

The coolest one I did was an online jury. It was a mock of a real court room regarding a real case with real proceedings and other jurors. They paid me $300 for an hour and a half.

I eventually quit doing it. I got a few promotions at work and it was not worth my time anymore but my experiment was a success. It made me realize that all these people complaining about income has less to do about inability and more about their lack of motivation and outright laziness. Granted, I was never going to make 50K a year doing what I was doing online but I could have survived on it and another entry level job on the side easily.

Man up (or woman up) and just say it -- you were doing surveys. Considering I've been doing them as a hobby side income for over 15 years via still well-established companies with good reputations and good payouts, and the formerly good ones dying off via mergers and flushing their reputations down the drain to save a buck alike, I feel I'm in the perfect position of experience to call bulls# on a pulling a grand a month. One or two grand a year is feasible if you're busting your ass, but certainly not in a month.

If the mock trial you're referring to was via Darwin or Ejury, then I know you're full of it -- Ejury has never paid out more than $10 per, and Darwin's max payout is $25. If it was neither, then please, by all means, fill me in. I'd love to be proven wrong, but unless you're foreign and have access to companies I do not/that do not pull US data, I doubt you can pull one out of your hind end I can't verify or shred.

My point here is whatever your point was, don't assume you can make something up and not get caught doing it.
edit on 11/7/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

get educated

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join