It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbus Unveils LOUT Stealth Ground Test Demonstrator

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Germany commissioned Airbus to design and build a test article for the development of stealthy materials and inform any aircraft development projects that might be coming up. The project was called LOUT: LO UAV testbed. It was conceived in 2007, funded in 2010 and finished some time this year. Despite being a UAV testbed, it sure looks like it has a cockpit. The size is a little unclear and whether it is a full scale model or not (update: Jane's has stated it was 12m by 12m or 40 ft by 40ft). Likewise, it is not clear if there was a flying prototype follow-on.

It is interesting they went with the diamond bauplan. That has been tested and abandoned many times. It's simplicity may be the reason, since LOUT was intended to test materials rather than truly fly, afaik.

LOUT is similar in many was to the 1980s Lampyridae: not in design, but with its intent. That was an independent supersonic stealth aircraft being developed by Germany. That project made it as far as manned wind tunnel tests (yes, manned) before being terminated in 1987.

In either case, it ought to be a good reminder the US isn't and never has been the only ones capable of developing stealth tech.

theaviationist.com...
www.flightglobal.com...
www.thedrive.com...
www.janes.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 5-11-2019 by anzha because: added link

edit on 5-11-2019 by anzha because: added Jane's

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I'm confused, who has been lurking where in this instance?

Looks quite advanced for a testbed.
edit on 5-11-2019 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

In either case, it ought to be a good reminder the US isn't and never has been the only ones capable of developing stealth tech.

Operation Paperclip..., Operation Lusty

Nazi Germany's 'Stealth' Fighter: The Story of the Ho 229

One word you haven’t seen in this history so far is “stealth”—and that’s because there isn’t any documentation from the 1940s supporting the notion that the flying wing was intended to be a stealth aircraft. And yet, the Hortens had stumbled upon the fact that a flying wing design lends itself to the sort of reduced radar cross-section ideal for a stealth plane.

edit on 5-11-2019 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

Northrop had already flown the N9M, and the XB-35 was well under development by the end of the war.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

looks familiar and is a good looking aircraft
edit on 5-11-2019 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: MindBodySpiritComplex

Operation Paperclip..., Operation Lusty

Nazi Germany's 'Stealth' Fighter: The Story of the Ho 229

One word you haven’t seen in this history so far is “stealth”—and that’s because there isn’t any documentation from the 1940s supporting the notion that the flying wing was intended to be a stealth aircraft. And yet, the Hortens had stumbled upon the fact that a flying wing design lends itself to the sort of reduced radar cross-section ideal for a stealth plane.

This deserves its own OP. Germany was not the only country with the "Flying wing" concept. It could be said that Northrup was ahead of them and the Horton "stealth" characteristics were that it was partially made of wood and used some sort of glue that accidentally was shown to do something odd to radar waves but I forget what.

To me, the ONLY thing the Germans were far in advance of other nations was with the V2 ballistic rocket. And possibly night vision.

History channel should be ashamed of itself. But what would anyone expect of something called the "History Channel" that spends more times on Nazi's and UFO's than actual history.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

I'm pretty sure that if we hook a turbine to Jack Northrop's grave we could power the world.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

also they were some of the first to take building materials into radar management

my general stance on the Nazi war machine is ...ehhh... complicated

i dont like what they stood for but they were leaps and bounds ahead in many many STEM fields and anyone who doubts that look who was running their aerospace medicine division and Apollo projects in the 60's and 70's.

we made a deal with the devil with project paperclip but to the naysayers should all the unethical data the NAZI scientists got from their awful human experimentation to go to complicate waste that we would need anyway?

there is was allot of strangeness going on at NASA at the time, just ask Jack Parsons...the Jack Parsons that has a crator on the moon named after him.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   
So developing a stealth aircraft is hugely expensive. Like the entire German defense budget

Their budget for 2019 was 49.5 billion USD. To give you perspective the truncated B-2 program adjusted was over 80 Billion.

They can not meet NATO commitment's and every branch of their military has poor readiness. I'm skeptical of anything they want to make demonstrator or otherwise actually making it into service.

There is no monopoly on stealth rather pretty steep economic barriers
edit on 11/5/19 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

what is you view on the US-UK link in the stealth world?

i think we are allllllllot closer than most would assume

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3

what is you view on the US-UK link in the stealth world?

i think we are allllllllot closer than most would assume

Yeah I agree. The US and the UK have that special relationship and UK pilots were allowed access to the F-117 before it was revealed.

I would not be the least bit shocked to see some UK overlap in the PCA program at some point.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   

dont forget the UK guys getting some B2 time as well.

i font think it is a coincidence allot of exotic aircraft are seen in that are. look at the RFI, the cop Tony Dodd who saw a ufo sitting in the middle of the road and other officers seeing something moving away very quickly and pictures Nick Pope had on his wall.

the Belgium wave as well as there own version of the ATF so they could get in on it/

The Us and UK i think are connected at the hip when it comes to advanced aircraft, i mean we had at least one fly off over that area for the B21 when we(the us) have so many other places to fly it from in the middle of the ocean or some other forgotten part of the western US.

why show them our hand even if they were prototypes if we weren't blood brothers when it comes to this stuff?

then there were those pics Astr0 posted clearly from a military base(you could tell by the light posts in the pic.

god would i love to be a fly on the wall in some of these secret bases.

its hard to not go all tin foil when you see a black triangle for yourself, its a shame this tech isnt in the white world as it would change humanity in pretty much every way.

someday the people or contractors that kept some of this stuff away from the public is national security. I always found that excuse to be wanting....our so called enemies know more about what we have than most citizens and are catching up quick.

i have seen these things with my own eyes so no one can convince me they were something mundane, and there will be a day when all the people keeping this tech to them self's will have to answer to the people.

one word comes to mind as far as US based contractors go and that is TREASON.

only alittle bit to go before we get the big unveiling and if it isnt something super cool i will be disappointed, they said they were using tech we have now or will have by the time its ready to go.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Do you have a link for the astro picture?

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: B2StealthBomber

this one i think?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

yep that's some of them.

here is some interesting stuff from china

now look at this Mcdonald Douglas that was thought about in the 80's

The Amarillo pic always reminds me of SENOR PEG with out the extended tail fins

and the link between the polecat and the B21 is hard to deny even if they are from different contractors, form following function maybe.

edit on 6-11-2019 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Most of the chinese images were posted in the H-20 thread, iirc.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

??

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 04:07 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There's a whole thread where this is on topic...

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   

it appears i even commented a bit in that thread but the last pic i posted isnt in there.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I miss the old days of triangle chasing...Stealth is so blaaaahhh... :-P

top topics

<<   2 >>

join