It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Memes Help Publicize an Issue or Make the Issue a Joke?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

What are you taking about “the left can’t meme”.

1) There are like 4 conservative come... none of which are actually conservative... they are just famous for making jokes about woke culture...

If you actually listen to their policy positions every one is a liberal..Or leans left I guess..

2) there are no conservatives comedy shows.. like daily show or whatever..

On what planet are you living in where conservatives are the more comedic...

And just to point out the obvious..

Liberals dominate EVERY single intellectual Field as well..

Silicone valley, academia, medical fields...

Conservatives dominate amongst business owners, Bible thumpers and the peasants they propagandize into supporting them like they are not the old money establishment..

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

But how many of those people who answer no are actually invested in finding out the truth about Epstein??

And I do not mean invested like “ I will read the article if one comes out saying it..”

I mean invested like “will never vote for a republican again if the trump DOJ doesn’t hold someone accountable”...(Not a shot at trump... just a hypothetical.”
Or is investing a note able portion of their income into investigating it....

Almost zero..

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny
a reply to: 35Foxtrot

Then it makes it a joke...

Assuming you think that is a serious issue, publicizing it doesn’t really help you if they also take it as a joke..

No.

Humor oftentimes makes a criticism more palatable.

In addition, as a form of propaganda, it makes the message more memorable; not less. Laughter (physical or mental in nature) releases certain pleasurable chemicals in the brain. People tend to associate pleasure with "good," or "right."

Laughter isn't the only way to get a similar response, but it's probably the easiest and least damaging.

But, I suppose you'll just dismiss me and my knowledge as plebeian or somehow not woke enough because I don't lean left.
edit on 5/11/19 by 35Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: sooth

I have never seen an anus eating meme.. nor have I heard it is now mainstream to do it..

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I used to think this.

I've come to realize the ability of memes to virally spread important ideas, frequently through the use of humor. Their power is very real, and to deny it is overlooking an extremely potent tool in information warfare.
edit on 5-11-2019 by elDooberino because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-11-2019 by elDooberino because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: 35Foxtrot

I think your comment on it making criticism more palatable is my point.

I think the issue becomes more palatable everytime you laugh at it..

For example...

Take Hitler memes and also movies that make fun of Hitler like “preacher”..

Sure it seems fitting to make fun of him,but is he still as scary as he should be???

If Hitler still ran Germany, I’m not sure people would still consider him a dire threat..

Jokes are not threatening..

If someone believes Hillary Clinton is a murdering crime lord, the funny memes do not portray thst she is a threat.. they pretend she is a joke..

By definition I don’t think you can take a joke as a serious threat.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: elDooberino

It spreads the narrative for sure, but is the potential threat still taken As seriously????

I don’t see how it even could be..

By definition something that is a joke is not also a threat..

If Hillary Clinton is a murdering crime lord, do the memes saying that do ANYTHING to push her prosecution???

Once something is a joke it is no longer a threat.. so when you make a joke out of a real threat. Isn’t it hurting you??

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Lmao...

99% of comedians are liberals..

Even the bill burrs are liberals, they just make bank making jokes about woke culture..

Every policy position he has is liberal, which he says constantly..

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

I guess it depends on what your objective is.

I'm not saying whether we should see something as evil or spooky or good or unicorns and rainbows or oooohhhhh scary!!

I'm talking about the delivery method. And memes (and humor in general) are an effective delivery method.

I thought that's what the thread was about.

I'll leave it to you to try to tell people what they should "feel," about whatever.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The original meaning of 'meme' was that it is a mind virus, spreading an idea. Then the internet came and made it into a visual thing. I don't know why so many think it has to be 'funny' to be a meme. However as others have mentioned, a funny meme is an even better virus as people want to spread it.

The reason the left can't meme is because in order to actually work, the meme has to have truth to it [or be threatening - like religion]. You can't just meme for the sake of it. That's why it is so difficult to make leftist memes, they all just turn out to be embarrassing.

Memes are dangerous [truth] spreaders because even the dumbest, most normal people get it with one glance. The left knows how dangerous they are and hence they want to stop them, like everything else they stop when they can't emulate it.

However it is so simple, they will spread like wildfire because people see it and they agree because it is what they have thought deep inside for a long time but couldn't express.
If you want to slander and insult people, memes don't work, they become just visual [unfunny] jokes - BIG difference. But again that's what the left don't understand.

I think it is brilliant that the Epstein memes are out there infecting brains, spreading like mad. The more the better. be they funny or just true, the helps wake up the most unreachables. Fear memes lefties, fear them!

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Nope, it's not at all.
When a topic has permeated the culture, to the point of being a viral meme, humorous or not, it achieves the goal of building awareness. Frankly, without the element of humor, that level of awareness is rarely reached. Awareness is THE goal. With awareness, comes at least the possibility of change or action.
Unfortunately, I think many people are intimidated or turned off by blunt seriousness. I would posit that "serious" memes are exponentially less shared because, even if the idea is absorbed by the person who sees it, they won't necessarily share it because they don't want to be "that guy" on social media. In short, they don't want to be a Debbie Downer.

Pro tip: memes are such a potent weapon against the left, primarily, because they tend to take themselves too seriously and, in my personal opinion, lack self awareness.

They work, and in part Trump's style works, because Alynsky's "rule of ridicule" is a potent one, and it's finally been turned on it's creators.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

And just to point out the obvious.. Liberals dominate EVERY single intellectual Field as well.. Silicone valley, academia, medical fields...

So why is it when it comes to common sense, critical thinking and politics they’re dumb as F#%&? Must be one of life’s mysteries I suppose.

edit on 5-11-2019 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Off topic, but Burr isn't a liberal by any means, he is more of a Centrist who ebbs and flows both ways, I follow his podcast and the occasional tweet and he literally just RT(Retweeted) your favorite and hero, James O'Keefe, google him 🤭 and get WOKE.

Additionally, so called comedians who "bank" on telling jokes on woke culture imply they have to create a facade, whereas, Chapelle and Burr are the result of daily interactions, observations and personal opinions, they call it like they see it, that's real and why it is so funny because WE ALL SEE IT.

Sticks and Stones boii, check it out son.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Look at it this way, in my own personal definition...

***Memes are a visual representation of any one specific or broad point of interest designed to appeal emotionally based off the myriad of differents reasons, why and what within the context of a particular event, scenario or scene.

Why some memes have us howling with laughter.

Why other memes give us a "No S#" moment.

Other memes simplify the overall context so it is more palatable to the senses.

Of course, all memes are subject to bias as well, especially the Hyper Partisan environment like Politics where the igorants, educated, uneducated and woke crowds have the hubbub and jig dance off to see whos the loudest.
edit on 5-11-2019 by Arnie123 because: Heh

top topics

<< 1   >>

join