It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Memes Help Publicize an Issue or Make the Issue a Joke?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I cannot take credit for this point as it was another posters that I am too lazy too look up to give them credit... Nor can I remember what thread exactly..

Also I haven’t seen any commentators make this point so it might be semi-original..

They know who they are.........lol

So do “hilarious memes” help publicize an issue or do they desensitize people to that issue by making it a joke?”

Take the Epstein stuff as a current example....

Will all the memes lead to some form of prosecution do to the memes keeping it on our minds?????

Or

Will all the memes make us look at the Epstein stuff as a joke we care a littke less about every time we see one??

Oh plus you have over saturation, where people just get tired of hearing about an issue , no matter the merit.

I think this question is super relevant right now as the present Troll and chief and his supporters have kinda made memes the centerpiece of their movement..

So are they reaching more people or making their points seem less important and more surreal??

It would be funny if in a few years all the “meme” conspiracy theories and POVs are issues no one cares about any more..

They have just laughed at the issue so much it no longer seems relevant..
edit on 5-11-2019 by JustJohnny because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 05:57 AM
link   
When the official narrative is a joke, then more power to the memes that follow, exposing it...

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

Both.

It's not an "or" question.

Humor has long been used as an effective form of political commentary.

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Memes are pictures that tell a thousand words. Memes are a cultural axiom that allows communication to occur without the need to orate anything.

Also, and your OP is a testament to this, the left can't meme therefore all memes suck, unless its a meme about orange man bad, then the left understands.

You literally just finished doing a silly-carpet-bomb-a-thread to my latest thread about Epstein and memes no more than 20mins ago and yet you suddenly have no recall of what you did or who you conversed with? This is another leftist trait - lying....and you're good at it.

Here is a meme, just for you....

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 06:08 AM
link   

it depends .

part of the problem - IMHO - is that the actual concept of what a meme is - is lost on so many people .

to illustrate :

" and no - epstien did not commit suicide "

is the above sentence a meme ? - yes it actually is - but the number of people who would say no - is shocking

ETA - how kind of the ATS member above me - to demonstrate my point perfectly
edit on 5-11-2019 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Memetic warfare can be a powerful tool when used effectively and in the right hands.

If you want to see the power of memes, search 'memeification' and 'analingus'. The power of memes is credited with ending the taboo of eating anus among young people. Apparently more and more young people can't get enough of that delicious anus.

Personally, I don't really see this as progress for society -- but to each their own I guess.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   

I think Memes are a lazy way for people to make a point without having to articulate their point , I doubt they have any effect in the real World other than to give some people a bit of a giggle.

They could be seen as the 21st Century version of the daily cartoon we see in newspapers , a snapshot of one persons take on the story of the day.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   

that I am too lazy too look up to give them credit... Nor can I remember what thread exactly..

hahahaha what a joke of a thread

You responded on that thread Nov, 5 2019 @ 05:44 AM and created this thread @ 5.56 - 12 minutes later!

Which one of the Johnnys are you? How many are using your account?

What a joke

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   

in the last 2 weeks, how many times have you heard "Epstien" in the media?

Now, how many times have you seen a meme about him in the same period?

I'll let you do the math.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Jokes are funny because they are true
Well the good ones anyway.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

A few times in media (BBC link to all epstein stories), i only use ATS in regards to social media so the only memes i have seen have been on here, not really sure the memes have the effect you perceive to the greater public, most adults are more interested in cat/dog/fluffy bunny memes

Lets see this time next year if memes have somehow kept epstein relevant, I imagine when the elections start or heaven forbid impeacment then the memes will soon drop epstein and be all about hilary/trump/boris/corbyn/brexit

IMO (and thats all it is, not trying to be condescending) memes are done to boost the self esteem of the person who created them, social media is all about likes and subscribers, nothing will be done to the associates/friends epstein kept because someone in the bedroom made a witty meme

I honestly believe the PTB have probably even made a meme or 2 themselves, laughing at us without us even knowing, because as with all things internet based anonimity is a given these days on social media platforms.

edit on 5-11-2019 by UpIsNowDown because: link

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Memes only make a difference to those who are already predisposed to believing what they say. To people who don’t have knowledge of the subject, it trivializes it.

That’s something everyone who believes Epstein didn’t kill himself should think about. It seems there’s a push to delegitimize any theories that he killed himself and relegate that to the “conspiracy” pile with the likes of flat earth and spy gate etc.

And it seems that the online conspiracy crowd is only too eager to help. I think the people who constantly share the memes are being used as unwitting pawns by the people who want to cover it up.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Memes, jokes, lampooning issues has gone on since forever.

This is nothing new.

Here's a "meme" from 1903

It's only relevant now because there are those on the left with zero tolerance, no sense of humor, and abhor being made fun of.

Do you want to ban memes?

Do you want to ban free speech?

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy I was thinking the same thing as soon as I read the title to this thread. I believe it affords all of us to be creative as the old cartoonistswere, but without the ability to draw well. I think Will Rogers would've been an extraordinary meme troller.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Memes are merely a branch of political satire cartoons from yesteryear.
Nothing new whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Since we live in an idiocracy.

Memes are about the only thing NPC's understand, and some get triggered and go off half cocked.

Cry Havoc and let slip the memes of whatever the topic happens to be.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Funny thing about memes, over saturation makes them forgettable. They even show up in avatars without people noticing over time.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Leftist can't meme, therefore they created a thread to understand their shortcomings, which really illustrates the individual and not in good light, this extends to all leftist, as all Hive Minds do.

Memetic warfare is a front only those not emotionally obsessed can maneuver.

As Sublime posted, Memes are non oral bits of information many can consume in the public domains and can have a variety of meanings subject to interpetation via social frameworks employed by the everyday Man and Woman.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: 35Foxtrot

Then it makes it a joke...

Assuming you think that is a serious issue, publicizing it doesn’t really help you if they also take it as a joke..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join