It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guitar players here on ATS??? I have a question.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Many great guitarists have pretty unorthodox hand configurations.

Tony iommi doesnt even have fingertips!

Kirk hammett doesnt use his index finger for a bar.

Just have to get a little creative

Kirk is a bastard though... he was taught by Joe Satriani, the supreme god of all guitar playing. I cry every time I hear Satriani, because no mortal can ever hope to replicate the bewildering things he does.

Damn this guy....

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   
If you're right handed, sell it and buy one that you can play with your right hand. And besides, you can learn to play on a cheap instrument so it's not like you have to go and spend a lot of money just to learn to play. Once you find that it's something you're gonna keep doing, they you decide to invest in a nice instrument. Don't make it harder than it has to be by trying to play with your left hand.

Not a guitar player (but I'd also like to learn someday). Just common sense. Don't make it harder than it has to be.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 11:37 PM
link   

This is a tough call. I'm blessed having all my fingers and toes; hearing sucked since birth, but this is a great question.

My b!tch has always been my deafness and not caring for actual notes🎶🎶🎵🎶🎶🎼🎼 times.

Eventually I played for me and only me. Became quite enjoyable with headsets on, playing along with Frampton, Via, Halen, Lindsey Buckingham, Mustaine and so many more.

Peavy didn't make garbage. Their amps are stellar too. ( older models )

Keep that guitar! They don't make them like they use too.

Been playing since I was 12. I still suck, but I love the sounds I create.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: gallop

How the Heck did I leave out satch!!
edit on 4-11-2019 by Bigburgh because: Seriously s atch boogie

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Ha, what a coincidence, I know how to play the guitar really bad.. 

Not bad if you enjoy it. Just don't share I like do.

Then your folks won't send email after email asking you to learn "Walk don't Run".

edit on 5-11-2019 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:03 AM
link   

On a final note.
I'm so old now that I somewhat remember in baseball that I'd catch the ball with my left hand and throw with my right hand. I can bat apposite thinking it was normal all this time. As I got older it switched. Ambidextrous muscles do happen.

Don't rush and enjoy it

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Start slowly with basic chords. Find simple songs you can try to play along. The key is consistent practice.

Also, try to stretch your fingers as much as possible without straining them. You got this!

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I have been playing guitar for over 20 years. A lot of good advice given here. Django Reinhardt who is considered one of the best guitarist of all time lost the use of both his pinky and ring finger on his chord hand. He would somehow flop his dead fingers onto the neck and still sound amazing. It is totally doable if you want it.
edit on 5-11-2019 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Ha, what a coincidence, I know how to play the guitar really bad.. 

Not bad if you enjoy it. Just don't share I like do.

Then your folks won't send email after email asking you to learn "Walk don't Run".

Haha I made the mistake of recording some things and posting them on facebook back when I had an account.. Ooh, never again.. people are so cruel in their silent contempt Oo.. all those views and not a single "Dude, just... Don't.. Don't do that again!!!"... Just silence.. haha

But yeah, head set, and jam along to some good music, helped along with a nice pint of merlot..

Walk Don't Run... now theres something I've not heard in a long time. I could probably annoy the neighbours with that too!! hehe

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:37 AM
link   
As TheAlleghenyGentleman said, maybe Django Reinhardt might inspire you. His left hand was badly burned and willed himself back to play the guitar again with 3 fingers. Start playing a song you really like, it will help if that song has simple chord progressions.

Good luck and enjoy.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

On a final note.
I'm so old now that I somewhat remember in baseball that I'd catch the ball with my left hand and throw with my right hand. I can bat apposite thinking it was normal all this time. As I got older it switched. Ambidextrous muscles do happen.

Don't rush and enjoy it

I was born left handed and forced to leave the evil sinister behind and become dexterously righteous.. I am glad in some ways, I'm easily confused so following someone in a tutorial on youtube would be crazy trying to get the fingers correct, backwards..

And I agree with the just enjoy it philosophy... when you play for yourself and dig what you're playing, that's the trick!

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 01:03 AM
link   

As a beginner, I wonder how difficult it would be for me, a right handed person, to learn to play a left handed guitar? OR, should I just fight it out and try to figure out how to compensate for my handicapped left hand? A left handed guitar would eliminate my fret hand issues, but I don't know how well a righty can make rhythm on his right hand.

I'm not sure it would make much difference. For instance, piano playing or drums, both hands are able to do tasks regardless if one is right or left handed, it's just about how you train yourself. Since you're beginning, I do think you'll be fine because you'll be training yourself.

That said, interesting anecdote. When I first started playing guitar—actually the very first time I held a guitar, which was in a class in middle school—I automatically picked it up to play left handed (fretting right hand, strumming left). It just seemed natural to me being right handed. It was the instructor who basically made me switch and play "normal" so he didn't have to restring the guitar, lol.

Another anecdote: When I was in high school I broke my wrist snowboarding. I don't think it every really properly healed, because from that time onward, after playing for 20-30 minutes my wrist is hurt like hell. I persisted, basically said # it. After how many years later and now it doesn't hurt.
edit on 5-11-2019 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Look up the story of Django Reinhardt. He was a hell of a player who overcame a burnt, mangled hand. When there is a will, the body will do what you tell it to, to an extent. I have been playing for like 35 years, and had a bad case of carpal tunnel in my left hand in my early 30's. I couldn't hold a screwdriver, or turn a doorknob. But, I played. I forced myself to play, and it became almost like physical therapy for me. I don't know if it helped, or went away on its own, but it did go away.

Playing guitar is very frustrating, especially as a beginner. Learn the right techniques to begin with, practice, and you will make progress.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Changing from right to left is only going to increase your difficulty.
A lot IMO.

You know how to get to Carnegie Hall don't ya?

Practice Practice Practice.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Interesting! Never saw anything like that before!

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Dbl

edit on 11/5/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

I just have a little Orange Crush mini.

Baby steps.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

... but honestly every beginner thinks bar chords and the stretch ones are impossible. It’s possible.

This is my current mentality, that it's just a practice issue. I'm going to continue with this mentality until I prove to myself that some things are just impossible.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Lots of great advice here! It is all very much appreciated.

A side note about persistence (my persistence). Throughout my life I have always been able to tell something I will stick with no matter what, and something I will just give up on. As an example, I might want to do two different things really badly. One of them I will want to be the best in the world at overnight, and when this doesn't happen I get frustrated and wind up looking to greener pastures. On the other "hand", that second thing I really want to do, I don't get frustrated and I don't care if I make mistakes, I just keep trying until I figure it out. This is how playing the guitar is for me now.

I won't ever be Eddie Van Halen, but I don't care. But hopefully, some day, I can play some nice blues rock & roll tunes and do some improvising. I do have a decent ear, and mentally I know what the next notes should sound like, even in an improvisational situation. Now I just have to get the technique to get some sound out so I can further those thoughts.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

(...and man, are my finger tips trashed! I don't imagine that's going away anytime soon).

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I started learning to play in the mid 70s.

I'm a pretty good average guitarist.

I have a classical, an acoustic, and an electric lead guitar.

I haven't played though in the last 10 years or so because of noise pollution...very poor sound-proofing in this little box I currently inhabit.

Also because I now realize that nobody wants to hear.

Too many uncomfortable memories of being at family gatherings and someone would pipe up, "Play us a tune!"

I could hear the silent groans being suppressed.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join