It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guitar players here on ATS??? I have a question.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I've always wanted to play the guitar (like really bad). I bought an electric guitar about 30 years ago when I was in college. I played it for a minute, was impatient, and decided I sucked completely. I put the guitar away in the case and kind of forgot about it. Fast forward 30 years, I'm cleaning out the basement and tagging stuff to go to Good Will. I tagged the guitar. Well, I took my haul to Good Will and forgot about the guitar.

Later, I noticed the guitar and was kind of frustrated I forgot something. Then I opened the case of the guitar and, wow, it's actually a pretty nice guitar. I'd forgotten this. It's a Peavy Patriot, and after some short research I found it's actually in demand now...like worth more than I paid for it back in 1983. When I'd bought it, it was hanging on the wall of the guitar shop next to a bunch of Fender Stratocasters, and there was no way I could afford one of those. In fact, I practically went broke even buying the Peavy. (I actually did go broke).

Well, I thought, what the heck I'll learn to play this guitar, and if I suck (which I do), I'll just keep trying.

In about 1987 I was in a horrific truck accident and I badly smashed my left hand. I had a compound fracture of my left metacarpal just above the knuckle of my index finger. The bone of my hand had shot out of my skin when my hand went through the dashboard. It was the least of my injuries and it went unattended for a day or so. Then I wound up having several surgeries on my hand (among other things). When they finally finished, the orthopedic hand surgeon said I'd probably never type on a typewriter again, but otherwise would be okay.

Well, I set out to prove the orthopedic surgeon wrong. It took time, but now I type over 120 words per minute on a keyboard or typewriter. And, I use all my fingers, including my damaged index finger. So, I thought I'd overcome this same handicap on the guitar as a beginner. Hmmmmm....this is a bit harder, but I'm still determined. I will overcome!

My problem is, my index knuckle is pointed down at a 45 degree angle, so I can't bar with my index finger without contorting my shoulder around like a retard. That, and I've had to compensate with my other three fingers for my grip, so they are many times stronger than my index finger. What this has caused is a pronounced lack of dexterity on my ring finger. It moves in unison with my middle finger and I can't divorce the two.

So...to my question...As a beginner, I wonder how difficult it would be for me, a right handed person, to learn to play a left handed guitar? OR, should I just fight it out and try to figure out how to compensate for my handicapped left hand? A left handed guitar would eliminate my fret hand issues, but I don't know how well a righty can make rhythm on his right hand.

Any advice is appreciated!!

I'm just a guitar newby.
edit on 11/4/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   
If you want to play it you will play it or find a way to play it. If you have not found the motivation to play it by now though I would find another hobby and I don't mean that in a rude way.

I got about a half an inch of an index playing finger guillotined off in a horrible accident. Crazy because I'm all about PPE, mask, clothing when doing work but sometimes stuff happens.

Long story short. The finger was cosmetically repaired. Took almost a year but after a couple surgeries, a lot of pain and constantly trying to play again with the rebuilt finger I can. I thought about quitting but no way. I love playing. I was going to play that damn guitar again if I died trying.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Is it your picking or fretting hand your having problems with?

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

Left, fretting hand.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Forget the hand. Videos of people playing with feet. It can be done but you have to be 100% motivated.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

No way, i won't quit! I just won't. That's how I am.

I was young back in those days, and I didn't understand determination the way I do now. I will NOT quit.

I realize it takes time, and I have time. I don't care if I'm playing cool riffs in the old folks home, but I won't quit. I just won't. I'm bullheaded like that now.

Like you, I WILL play that damn guitar (or A guitar) if I have to die trying.

I'm just wondering if I should invest my early learning into trying to play left handed (i.e. right hand on the frets) as opposed to right handed (i.e. damaged left hand on the frets). This, before I get too much training ingrained in my hard head.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I'm 800% motivated! I will NOT quit!

I NEVER quit...not now.

edit on 11/4/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Left, fretting hand.

As I've gotten older I began playing lap steel, found it less stressful than wrapping your hand around the neck.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Honestly, this idea has crossed my mind, but I feel like this would be giving up...and I'm not ready to give up.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It's do-able! The video below gives some ideas. I would suggest trying a capo, learning slide, or trying alternate tunings.

Or...you could just forget barre chords, tape your index finger to the back of your middle finger and jam with what you got!

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Honestly, this idea has crossed my mind, but I feel like this would be giving up...and I'm not ready to give up.

If your left hand starts to cramp up and can not stretch like it use too and there is no joy then what? that was my problem lack of dexterity and old age. Or you an learn to play slide guitar with less fretting.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Chord buddy

Google it.

Amazon or e-bay .

Buy it.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Next question what amp you got? Solid-state or tubbbbbe ahhh?

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   
First off, don’t learn just chords and scales. I would have never learned to play guitar if I started out like that (which most people do).
Find a couple songs you like and learn pieces of them and have fun putting them together. Playing simple leads are usually one string at a time. I use guitar tab apps to look up tabs. If you don’t know how to read tabs, it’s really easy. Whatever string it show the number on us the one you play on the fret it shows. Number 5 means 5th fret, super simple.
Stick with playing right handed. I know you have a handicap there, but honestly every beginner thinks bar chords and the stretch ones are impossible. It’s possible.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Have you consider cigar box 3 or 4 string? There are lots of options to express yourself with.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I'm 800% motivated! I will NOT quit!

I NEVER quit...not now.

99% of it is motivation. If you have that you'll play it. Might take years, countless hours but you'll do it.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Guitar is can be one of the most trying instruments to play. I would argue that as good as many are at playing it very few have come close to mastering it. Keep it up though you may not master it, but you don't have to to be able to rock out and jam with the best.

And, if you decide you do want to part with it my father builds, restores, and collects old guitars and will most likely be interested in buying it from you. He has well over a hundred guitars and they are all meticulously cared for. Even if you don't want to sell it he would probably help you set it up to a play style that suits you. It could probably do with some new pickups at least.

He's built all the guitars that I've ever owned, and he knows a lot of people worth knowing all over. So, he probably knows someone in your area you could take it to for a tune up. If it's been sitting for as long as you say it has it could definitely use one.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Quite a challenge, but with enough determination and tips from your friends here, you could probably do it. I wish you luck in your musical endeavors.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Many great guitarists have pretty unorthodox hand configurations.

Tony iommi doesnt even have fingertips!

Kirk hammett doesnt use his index finger for a bar.

Just have to get a little creative

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I've always wanted to play the guitar (like really bad).

Ha, what a coincidence, I know how to play the guitar really bad..

As to looking like you have problems trying to play a chord... join the club and I don't have any accidents to blame.. just really bad starting off over 30 years ago. I still can't play to save my life, and in fact have gone from electric to acoustic and am in the process of learning to pick properly, but someone posted a video on playing chords differently.. that's fine. If I had to rely on actual chords structure to play, I'd throw my guitar in the fire place.

And sometimes, playing something in your own way, makes it unique. Well, it does make it unique.

Once you're comfortable with how things sound, you'll find the tempered style that suits you.. until then, it will all seem inorganic..

My amp is a measly little 10 watt marshall, no effects, just clean into the PC and run through Gutar Rig Pro. Ignoring most of the standard presets and making my own... except the Guitar Hero Lead.. lol that actually sounds good with the electric.

Now... if I could only get my finger out and learn properly, it's only been 33 odd years.. Oo

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join