It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Browns condemn Jermaine Whitehead Twitter rant containing death threat, racist language

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I wanted to make a civil discussion about this topic - about fairness. However, I knew that it wouldn't take long before the mud started flying, so I placed it in the Mud Pit because it was inevitable.

Yes, I changed up the heading a bit because I wanted to make a point. Honestly, did you come in to read what I altered the title to be or did it really make a difference? Your response may tell.

In truth, this is a problem where a Fox News reporter took a Twitter jab at a football player and all hell seriously broke loose!

Whitehead Twitter rant containing death threat, racist language

Shortly after the Browns lost to the Denver Broncos on Sunday, Cleveland safety Jermaine Whitehead went on a profane Twitter rant that included racist language and death threats.

The tweets were targeted at Twitter users critical of his and the Browns’ performance with one aimed at Browns TV and radio broadcaster Dustin Fox after Fox tweeted that “Whitehead’s tackling today is a joke.”

Whitehead responded with a slur and a warning to Fox not to “get smoked.”

He also typed out a few others to hecklers while still in uniform! It looks like he was just off the field when the Tweeter-cations took place.

[mod edit....see story for tweets]

Of course, the Browns responded immediately from Whitehead's Twitter account:

“Jermaine Whitehead’s social media posts following today’s game were totally unacceptable and highly inappropriate,” the statement reads. “We immediately spoke with Jermaine upon learning of these comments. The Browns in no way condone that type of language or behavior. This matter will be further addressed internally.”

And of course, the Browns did not mention what steps would be taken.

Any predictions?

My point and my only point is - Fairness... Why will some get away with this kind of BS and others not? Personally, Free speech man! Some things just shouldn't be said. Racial and death threats are two of them but one is legal and the other isn't, depending on where you are. It's really sad that it's come to this. Should he get banned from Football? Sounds kind of drastic I suppose. Still, if he's not permanently banned from football, I will be saddened because of the unfairness. All men and women are not created equal today - of all times in our history! Why are we still doing this?

ETA: To advise on an update. Apparently it took a whole day to come to the decision to 'wave' Whitehead from the Browns.
edit on 4-11-2019 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors
Terms And Conditions Of Use
edit on Mon Nov 4 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: title edit to reflect source and profanity removed

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
"Cracker" is such a funny term, how can anyone not laugh at that. It is not racist, it is silly.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualarchitect
"Cracker" is such a funny term, how can anyone not laugh at that. It is not racist, it is silly.

You're right. It is very silly. 100%

The problem is... the meaning behind the word. I suppose it's the fact that it does sound silly is why many people don't think twice when it's said. Still... It has the same disgust and malice as other relevant words when said.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
I wanted to make a civil discussion about this topic - about fairness. However, I knew that it wouldn't take long before the mud started flying, so I placed it in the Mud Pit because it was inevitable.

Yes, I changed up the heading a bit because I wanted to make a point. Honestly, did you come in to read what I altered the title to be or did it really make a difference? Your response may tell.

In truth, this is a problem where a Fox News reporter took a Twitter jab at a football player and all hell seriously broke loose!

[..]

Oh, you mean American football..
edit on Mon Nov 4 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Nov 4 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote Trim Those Quotes

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualarchitect

I always though it meant white as a cracker.

I laugh at it though . I have at least 7% Sub Saharan in my DNA although I look Caucasian. I wish people would use some restraint with their descriptions.
I guy at work was describing someone, and another guy asked if he was white, He replied " nah, hes an eggplant" Im embarrassed to admit, I laughed at that too

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinallyAwake

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Whitehead Twitter rant containing death threat, racist language

Shortly after the Browns lost to the Denver Broncos on Sunday, Cleveland safety Jermaine Whitehead went on a profane Twitter rant that included racist language and death threats.

The tweets were targeted at Twitter users critical of his and the Browns’ performance with one aimed at Browns TV and radio broadcaster Dustin Fox after Fox tweeted that “Whitehead’s tackling today is a joke.”

Whitehead responded with a slur and a warning to Fox not to “get smoked.”

He also typed out a few others to hecklers while still in uniform! It looks like he was just off the field when the Tweeter-cations took place.

Of course, the Browns responded immediately from Whitehead's Twitter account:

“Jermaine Whitehead’s social media posts following today’s game were totally unacceptable and highly inappropriate,” the statement reads. “We immediately spoke with Jermaine upon learning of these comments. The Browns in no way condone that type of language or behavior. This matter will be further addressed internally.”

And of course, the Browns did not mention what steps would be taken.

Any predictions?

My point and my only point is - Fairness... Why will some get away with this kind of BS and others not? Personally, Free speech man! Some things just shouldn't be said. Racial and death threats are two of them but one is legal and the other isn't, depending on where you are. It's really sad that it's come to this. Should he get banned from Football? Sounds kind of drastic I suppose. Still, if he's not permanently banned from football, I will be saddened because of the unfairness. All men and women are not created equal today - of all times in our history! Why are we still doing this?

ETA: To advise on an update. Apparently it took a whole day to come to the decision to 'wave' Whitehead from the Browns.

Oh, you mean American football..

Did you have to quote the WHOLE OP for that response?

To the OP, the Browns released the bigoted, ignorant racist, good on them.
Whitehead should face further action from the NFL but given their track record with woman and child abusers, murderers and drug addicts, i don't expect much more than a symbolic slap on the wrist.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

One thing is certain... These football players never passed school because they were intelligent. I can hardly read what the racist black dude was saying. It's a shame the unintelligent dudes get a free pass through school, but the bigger shame is that they make more than $75,000 a year.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

While fictional I always felt it is not to far from reality, the twit who tweeted should be fired from current club at least, how can they condone it or justify it because of his ball skills is ridiculous, in the UK we have had footballers who have commited drink drive offences and ran someone over, dont matter give him a contract, we have had footballers who beat there wives, dont matter give him a contract.

Morales and sport do not sit side by side and money buys innocence

(post by LSU2018 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

This only happens because they've been extremely coddled for a decade. Start making examples out of them like they do the rest of us and we just get back to equality.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

So some guy had a bad day on the field and vented.

*shrugs*

A tempest in a teapot.

In my humble opinion.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Way longer than a decade my friend, that film although fictional is from 1991, nearly 3 decades, substance abuse and wife beating are nothing new at all, neither is racism

And Chris enlightened us almost 15 years ago, aint nothing new under the sun
edit on 4-11-2019 by UpIsNowDown because: link

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
and he is unemployed
similar to what other racial slurs get you these days on social media

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   
He was released by the Cleveland Browns.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleFox
He was released by the Cleveland Browns.

is that really a punishment?
when new england picks him up and he gets a ring will he have learned a lesson?

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

This guy deserved to get clipped after threatening NFL fans... Dude, you have a recognizable name, when are people going to learn if you use an account with your name attached, you might force your employers hand if it comes back that you're connected with them?

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

This only happens because they've been extremely coddled for a decade. Start making examples out of them like they do the rest of us and we just get back to equality.

He lost his job and twitter suspended his account... How is this unequal?

But, your prediction that if the shoe was on the other foot of an MLB umpire's tweet, nothing would happen. Well, here we are... Granted, I'll give you the MLB ump wasn't as public a figure, and his threats only perceived, and not directed at anyone. But he didn't lose his job, and again, your prediction was off.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I never saw that...BRUTAL.
And I agree, with the amount of $$$ involved in pro sports nothing surprises me.

Something about the root of all evil...

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Yeah that's one. I said start making examples out of "them" meaning all of them, not just one who flips out over being called crappy and calls someone a bunch of grammatically incorrect names. At least he spelled cracker right.

What umpire are you talking about, the one who said he was gonna buy a gun in case they impeached his president and started a civil war?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join