It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Wisconsin Man Wants to Legalize Cat Hunting

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
These cats should have collars and tags on them; otherwise they should be considered feral vermin.

Here kitty kitty...

Thre is one very simple solution to problems like this it is called a leash.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Basically it seems like this guy just wants to be able to shoot his neighbors cat because its on his property. He doesnt seem to care if anyone owns it or not

"I get up in the morning and if there's new snow, there's cat tracks under my bird feeder ... I look at them as an invasive species, plain and simple," Smith said.
Doesnt seem to matter if it has a collar or not from this statement here.
I hate the whole if its on my property I can kill it concept which seems to hold some credence in certain parts of america. I dont get it and I thinks its wrong but thats just my opinion. I dont think I'm alone in feeling this way though and I just hope no politician is willing to back this measure.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
When the population of feral cats gets out of hand, they suffer the same problems that any overpopulated species suffers. New Orleans has a huge population of feral cats, and I'm not sure why, except perhaps because of the river rats, which are just about a big as the cats. The problem is that so many people put out food for these cats that they breed like flies and they suffer from diseases that spread among them and even between species.

I don't know what the situation is in Wisconsin nor do I know exactly how one would keep from killing the neighbor's pet while thinning the feral cat population, unless you had to put a collar on every pet cat and it's not the easiest thing to do to keep a collar on a cat.

Varminting is a fun sport and helps everyone including the hunted species. When the number of any animal population reaches a point that they become a nuisance and they become infected with rapidly spreading diseases, then hunting is the most effective and humane way of dealing with those problems.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Thats why I say turn all this anger and pent up rage on pigeon hunting. Forget the cats for now as Grady says Mother Nature can be cruel but practical. Load up with some air rifles and go hunting. Pigeons crap over everything, have no redemming value, spread disease etc etc.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I think the problem with hunting pigeons is that they all live in the city where it is illegal and dangerous to discharge firearms and even if it is legal to use pellet guns, an errant pellet traveling at 1000+ fps is just as dangerous as a .22LR.

[edit on 05/3/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I will have to agree that pigeons are a problem and need to be controlled. Garbage eating disease birds.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Yes, but then you get people who don't like cats, see one, doesn't matter if it has a collar or not, and shoots it. Also, all my cats ever owned have been spade or neutered. Never bought a cat either, always took in strays. On the farm house had about 14 cats. All spade, all neutured, great mousers. And current cat knows what it can and can't kill, it brought a bunny in, still alive, told him no, smacked him on the head, let the bunny go. Never caught a bunny since. Caught a cowbird(parasitic little birds) and let him keep it and gave him a treat. Since then has caught several Cow Birds. Killed a robin, smacked on the head, threw it out, cat never caught one since then.

Anyways, in rural(is that farm land? or city?) cats keep mouse/rat population down. In cities same thing. Imagine a world without cats, well, probably no humans left cause the plague would have killed us all since nothing was preventing the spread of it.

People, if every cat caught a bird, bird pop. would survive, there are plenty of birds out there. I know some like a Gold Finch and Black Capped Chickadee are cute, but guess what? They like humans, they everywhere.

And again, heck, since I moved cause the state said the town of Oregon needed 4 golf courses instead of just 3 and my house/yard/barn was in the way, now live closer to Toledo. But still let cat out, he still kills mice/cowbirds/starlings/other pest birds. And have strays living around here, me and neighbor feed/house them. Have a shed, cut a hole in it for them, neighbor has a garage, has a cat door for the cats. It isn't like cats are taking over the world eating our babies, they cats.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I think the problem with hunting pigeons is that they all live in the city where it is illegal and dangerous to discharge firearms and even if it is legal to use pellet guns, an errant pellet traveling at 1000+ fps is just as dangerous as a .22LR.

Thats true. In Redwood City, they tried to poison them. The guy quessed wrong and so the pigeons ate the poison and flew off, then some started dying in mid air and nearly caused a few traffic accidents as they started dropping from the sky
Sorry animal lovers I think this is funny

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
That is the title of my play. Here is a small portion.

*Scene opens on a nice house out in the country. A little girl playing outside in the grass. She suddenly looks up at the house.*

Little Girl: Oh my, a kitty! Let's go play with the kitty...

*She sneaks upon this cat.*

Little Girl: Hey there Mr. Kitty! You wanna play? I'm gonna dress you up and ....

*PHHHHHHT! That cat lunges at the girl. After giving the girl reasons enough not to ever play with a cat, it scampers off into the woods.*

Little Girl: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

*The parents here her cries.*

Parents: Oh my...grab the gun, we gotta go kill it. Gotta bring it to the vets to make sure it doesn't have rabies.

*One hour into the fruitless search.*

Parents: Dang! Well princess, it looks like you will have to get sixteen shots in the stomach with big mean needles.

*End scene.*

I know, this hardly ever happens. But anyway...

I am for it. Heck, if it works there, I would propose it to my neck of the Louisiana woods. (Even though we don't have a dangerous feral cat population problem...yet...mwuahahahahahaha! (I couldn't get away with that...my wife would kill me.))

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
So, we should kill all bats cause one might give someone rabies? So we should kill all dogs, all humans, anything with warm blood cause it could have rabies? Sorry, killing everything cause one might, could, have something isin error. One Jew might have aids, lets kill all jews. One black might have aids, lets kill all blacks. See what I am getting at?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Will the person who suggested killling all cats, bats, rats, blacks and Jews, etc., please apologize to James, right now!

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Yes, but how many little kids wanna go up and pet random bats and Jewish folk? I just stated that whole scene tongue in cheek, however.

I just like the thought of killing wild cats. I have seen how fast domestic cats move inside my house. I want a challenge. They seem like they would be better sport than squirrels and rabbits. It's not meant to be offensive, just an observation from a hunter.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Excuse me, this may seem a bit off topic, but you don't by any chance have anything against the Jewish religion do you?

Anyhow back on topic. I don't quiet see how killing random cats is going to solve things. If anything the whole spayed/neutered routine should work just fine.

As for the pigeons, well I forget the address but FredT, you should check out the Pigeon Resistance.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Want a challenge is it? Hunt wild Boar with your hands. A college football player did this for FUN when he was a kid. Grab the tusks with your hands and hang on till you can yank hard enough to snap the boars neck. Of course, you have to sneak up and catch it first.... That is a challenge.

Also, you can't hunt domesticated animals. It would be like hunting cows. Moo. Moo. Moo. Bam. Wow, what a hunt! Also, can't hunt domesticated animals because yes there are wild ones, but they are mainly domesticated ones/pets/considered part of the family. So I am gonna go hunt toddlers. Seen how fast they crawl, what a challenge. Or grannies, they can move fast in wheel chairs, good game.

Now say if they were like deer, not pets, not domesticated, then if you wanted to hunt them you could. Still get PETA after you, but like deer, can hunt them without the nation being appalled.

No, don't hate jews, love to make fun of them, same with republicans, christians, white people, chickens, all good. I am an equal opportunity comedian.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I hope you aren't talking to me. I have never said anything remotely anti-semitic.

Yeah, but where is the fun in spaying and neutering. (Kidding) Plus, who is going to pay for it? Trapping, neutering, and releasing...it is not cheap. I think I box of shells is cheap enough.

Edit:

But these are not domestic cats. They have lost that mindset...hence feral.

[edit on 3/7/2005 by OXmanK]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I remember watching a show on TV about feral cats around beaches in California or Florida (don't remember which). People would feed them; there were dozens and dozens of cats that would show up from nowhere when the food came out. It made a good case for neutering, as was stated by someone else.

If you love your pet cat and want it to roam loose, you should have it's shots up to date and a good collar and tags on it; maybe even a little bell. It's important if you live close to your neighbors, even considerate.

I built a sandbox in the back yard for my kids when they were small. You guessed it; the stray cats in the neighborhood ruined it.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
cats are such stupid animals they dont come to their master when theyre called and run off then comeback days later wanting food.

i say make it legal....that guy has got my vote...besides we all know a cat is a womans pet i bet 9 out 10 posts come from women who dont support the idea....

[edit on 7-3-2005 by kenmasters8319]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I don't agree that cat's are women's pets. I had a goodly number of cats when I lived in New Orleans and they make the best urban pets. The nice thing about a cat is that you can leave them with a big bowl of food, plenty of water, and a litter box, leave town for several days and they don't even care unless the litter box fills up. The really good thing about cats is that mice don't have a chance against one.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Yes, dogs are such good pets, pee on everything, or chew on it, or slobber on it, a 90lbs dog thinks it's a lap dog and jumps in your lap, sniffs your croth, or guests crotch, require walking, taking care of, they dang leeches with fur.

A cat? Food, water, litter box, set. Go on vacation, come back two weeks later, didn't miss you at all.

Also, collar and tags don't mean much from 30 feet away, can't be seen. And you think the people who want to kill cats are gonna care if it has a collar?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Hunting cats is a horrible idea. Don't most feral cats live in urban areas or areas with lots of human population? How are you going to hunt them in those conditions? Without killing the "pet" cats or accidentally shooting someone?

Another thing, there are too many cat haters who would love the chance to torture a cat before they get to kill it.

I love cats. They're independent pets that don't need all your attention all the time like a dog does.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join