It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

counter sniper technologies discussion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I have been studying counter sniper technology advances for a book I am working on and came up with a technology crossover application I think might one day soon become of technical relevance to this sector. The primary technology I reviewed was of the acoustic sensor type. I am sure this has itself become a topic of discussion here on ATS in the past. BBN’s Boomerang a vehicle-mounted anti-sniper system that uses sound localization to quickly target enemy snipers and direct return fire. This was the first real advance in finding a firing solution against a sniper in near real time.

The second major combat tested player on this technology scene was WeaponWatch which picks up on the infrared signature of every weapon the moment it is fired, instantly identifying it from a database of thousands of weapons muzzle flashes and relaying its position on screen. It has already proven itself in combat. It is available in a drone sensor package. Imagine if this technology was used for automatic fire adjustment of automatic robotic guns.

This led me to look at long range metal detection technology. Lots of that info online is bogus but I figured someone must be working on area location and tracking of metal objects using RF discrimination of some sort. This then led me to antenna detection. This technology is fairly close range but provides some clues to the work-ability of the concept of detection of metal shapes that are wave guides by virtue of their shape.

i think we are close to the capacity of being able to detect not just transmitters and receivers at a distance but we can use this wave guide detection methodology to locate and track tube shaped metal structures (barrels). Anti-sniper technology is progressing a lot now days. These are just a few. They even can notice based on the gate of a person in a video image if they have armed themselves while under observation.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

This kinda feels like over thinking the situation..
The average sniper shooting range is under a half mile.
Yeah I know the record is around two miles..but that's not practical.

I would think infrared or some type of thermal sensors would pick out a sniper at that distance.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Except: One shot, one kill. Detecting sniper fire after the fact is a moot point.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Short-wavelength LIDAR might be useful to see through camouflage to pick up out of place polished metal. Like the archeologists use for finding overgrown jungle temples, but more fine-tuned for metal than rocks.

But as time goes quickly on, it seems like it will all be drone versus drone. Claims of better accuracy and target intelligence aside, unless we're primarily talking about poor insurgents drones are a good, cheap alternative to having a guy do it right there on the scene.

So maybe it's just like in the Terminator. Smart drones fighting each other and rapidly evolving until they achieve sentience.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence
BBN’s Boomerang a vehicle-mounted anti-sniper system that uses sound localization to quickly target enemy snipers and direct return fire. This was the first real advance in finding a firing solution against a sniper in near real time.

Farfetched. All of it.

Figure the odds that one of these things is gonna be in your neighborhood when you need it. LOL

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

These are in deployment testing but they number in the hundreds so far. Even though the test data set is small it is field operable so hardly far fetched.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Sound bi-location.Gives generic location which is enough to snuff any Sniper mission and turn it into a suicide Mission....a Sniper who can be located accurately and immediately by sound alone is a Kamikaze not a Sniper.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all

Both the acoustic detectors and the thermal IR detectors are field operable and are now under contract and are advancing through international arms control restriction licensing agreements so they can be sold to US allies.

The only thing I am bringing in new is the concept of detecting barrels at distance based on directional detection of steel tubes pointed in a given direction based on how RF signals bounce around a cyclindrical wave guide of a certain group of metals like hardened steel.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

This kinda feels like over thinking the situation..
The average sniper shooting range is under a half mile.
Yeah I know the record is around two miles..but that's not practical.

I would think infrared or some type of thermal sensors would pick out a sniper at that distance.

Its not practicle until they perfect the guided bullet.

top topics

join