It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama State Department Official Calls for Criminalization of Burning the Qur’an

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015
No he is not but the BAD TASTE IN OUR MOUTHS STILL EXISTS!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   

His conversion came as a result of his world travel. Travel is supposed to be broadening, but in Stengel’s case it was narrowing. He says that even as he went around the world defending the freedom of speech, he came to despise that freedom: “But as a government official traveling around the world championing the virtues of free speech, I came to see how our First Amendment standard is an outlier.”

Part of his new dislike for this cardinal American freedom, the cornerstone of any free society, apparently came from his own lack of understanding of why it was so important, and inability to defend it in the face of criticism. He recounts that “even the most sophisticated Arab diplomats that I dealt with did not understand why the First Amendment allows someone to burn a Koran. Why, they asked me, would you ever want to protect that?”

Apparently he couldn’t answer, as he now responds in the Post: “It’s a fair question. Yes, the First Amendment protects the ‘thought that we hate,’ but it should not protect hateful speech that can cause violence by one group against another. In an age when everyone has a megaphone, that seems like a design flaw.”

There is only one way to take that.

Cowboy got it right.

The dude is a FASCIST.

It's pretty easy to answer.

The first is an inalienable right. The protection from the state to say what the EFF you want, and if the mob doesn't like it too effing bad.

It was doubled down on in the 14th amendment.

The RIGHT to life,liberty aka CIVIL liberty.

A bunch of mysognistis stuck in the 7th century really wouldn't understand it, and a western so called journalist of all people couldn't ?

WOULDN'T.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Richard Stengel is a former editor of Time Magazineand was the State Department’s undersecretary for public diplomacy and public affairs from 2013 to 2016

Right there.

Hitler and other well known despots are Times hero's.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You can put a crucifix in urine, but make a cartoon about Muhammad.....

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Well, his middle name is Hussein. Makes sense that he would be the one to do this. Also, there are videos of him praising Allah and Islam, bashing Christianity and even a photo of him dressed as a Muslim.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Why are people burning books anyways?

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
Why are people burning books anyways?

It's a form of protest.

Not a very smart one, but still a protected enumerated individual right.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Actually, the Quran argument is almost an outlier now - they use the justification that burning the Quran as a form of protest can cause a violent reaction - and it does, we've seen that, repeatedly.

But the real problem isn't this - it's tempting to say "sure, ban it" - but it's a slippery slope - lately, look at the movement to ban any/all "hate speech" - which lately includes misgendering trans people, and wearing a MAGA hat.

Whenever people start talking about limiting some human right, or some right guaranteed by the US Constitution, you can't give a micron - because when you cede any kind of limits, precedent is set - those "rights" become "negotiable", and they immediately ask for more, and more, and more.

You know who "they" are - and they're not wearing Klan hoods - more likely, ski masks or pussy hats, draped in the mantle of "compassion and caring"; it's all a good cause and morally correct - meaning if you disagree, you're immoral, probably a racist / Nazi / homophobe / future mass-shooter - and so you can be stopped -- should be stopped -- *must be stopped*, and by any means necessary.

They want you to conform - and we see increasingly how violence and threats of violence and intimidation - physical, social, financial (threatening livelihoods, for example.)

If you want to keep your rights, you can't negotiate or cede them - you have to stand firm, because to yield only emboldens them.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Of course, because one of O’s agendas was to promote Sharia Law and being Sharia compliant in the US.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Obama is still president? Wow. I did not know that.
Haha maybe he did not know he wasn’t!
edit on 3-11-2019 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Substitute 'Koran' for 'Old Glory' and watch these same leftists go into fits of rage. Hypocrisy, thy name is liberalism.

They aren't hypocrites, they are showing their true intentions. These are people dislike christianity and will never criticize Islam.
They are fighting a inner war

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
If you can burn one religious book then you can burn them all, if you can say the TRUTH about one religion then the same applies, perversion happens in Christian, Jewish and Catholic religions as well as most others INCLUDING Islam yet don't you dare say it about them, they will get all annoyed..

Common bloody sense, stop pandering to a set of people who would deprive you of your life for not being one of them...

I'm talking radical Islam, not Muslims in general although the arrogance of the faith is getting stronger..

I would not stand for a beardy top lip shaved little dick head telling me I can't walk down a street, not here, not any where..

Worse still when some liberal type starts screaming for such things on their behalf...Stupid..
edit on 3-11-2019 by Mclaneinc because: spalling

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I have a copy of the The Qur'an. I would never, ever burn it, because that would destroy my beloved Kindle. I read it several years ago, and then again last year. I feel that it's important to have a resource material in order to discuss it.

I don't personally feel that any religious document should be burned, because to do so is to give the document/book power that it hasn't earned -- the power to cause a reaction. Books should be read or not read as the person who owns them chooses. Still, I defend anyone's right to burn any religious document, if they can do so without endangering others. I mean, it might make them feel better. The whole thing seems pretty silly to me.

Do what you want. Do it in the privacy of your own home. Don't make a big, public deal out of it. If you truly are moved to do something, you shouldn't need an audience.

Selah.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
I remember about ten years ago, some pastor or priest in the USA made worldwide headlines for burning a quran.
At first I thought it was silly, but then I understood why he did it.

Almost immediately, literally within an hour, the spineless jellyfish occupying the White House at the time went on network news channels, apologizing to the muslim world, and also scolding any Americans who didn't denounce it.

Many MSM outlets channels and polticans were apologizing to the muslim world, and also scolding any Americans who didn't denouncing something that they don't understand.

If they only read whole the Qur’an i think some would have a very different point of view.
I understand why some wanted to burn it.
edit on 3-11-2019 by ChefFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

I abhor the very idea of burning books.

You debate with more speech, not less.

But when free expression is denied, even if it is about burning books, there becomes an issue.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

You debate with more speech, not less.

Perfectly said, Sir.

What this thread is about, is an entity attempting to circle the wagons around an view, and that view is that the expression of certain ideas protected under the U.S. Constitution are so hallowed that they must be physically protected, that their symbology must not be assailed. I feel no desire whatsoever to own The Satanic Bible. In fact, I just did a yahoo search to find out the name of 'the satanic bible', only to discover that it's called The Satanic Bible. I would not own it, however I desire to protect the rights of those that wish to.

A copy of anything can be burned, or trampled or made into clothing, or otherwise distressed. It doesn't matter at ALL the symbol; what matters is how we revere the freedom of expression and speech.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I say instead of donating 1$ a month to prevent world hunger we should donate 1$ a month to have Quran mass printed and shipped to random muslim family.

Just imagine them having so many books that they CANT DO ANYTHING about. They already have to bury old volumes of Quran in tombs. Lets just overrun them completely until they cave in and realize that words are sacred, Ink on paper is not.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Progressives. Not liberals.

They are not the same thing.

I'm called conservative by many, including myself most times, but I am, in many ways, a classic liberal. I am not, however, what passes for a liberal these days.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   
No need to get worked up since it is not going to happen. More likely that the burner would be killed by an upset religious person.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Muslims are easy to rule over just as Rome ( Catholics) ruled over most all European and Americas countries. If your in charge and needed the people controlled ? Call on Rome ! Soon the western world will be completely overran by theist Muslims .People of color accept Christianity as the white devils invention and only Mohamed cares the most for people of color . American blacks convert to Islam in prison and would be enslaved , killed and tortured for being black in most Muslim theocratic societies ( read the Quran ) Blacks are still enslaved in the Mid East and viewed as from the devil . You won’t see any liberal accepting this . Where their is war their is money ! The democrats are just as invested into the US companies that make war toys as are the evil republicans. Israel and Iran will be the start of WW3 . America and Europe will be decimated with Russia and China supporting Iran . Communism will prevail with food,water and ZERO tolerance for faith based religion. Enjoy your times now , because in a not so distant future China will persecute the world like no other has ! What is China’s policy on Muslims ? Oh yeah ! Prison and fertilizer !!! Wake up America . We need more Trumps throughout the world . We have Democracy in the USA ( not perfect ) , socialized banana republics in Mexico and South America , Europe is woke and lost in humanism’s lack of a backbone and China and Russia with more nukes , land , resources and men to fight than all of us ! They beat us in our liberal colleges , Hollywood and media to the point that even if you don’t agree there are laws being passed daily taking away your right to fight against tyranny and suppression . In a world we’re western people’s loose sleep over new IPhones and our social media imprint we are doomed . Yes the youth have social media in Russia and China ! Can you guess who runs it ? Communists same as FacePage ,Tweaker, Ghost Chat or Tok Tik ! Our kids are programmed by leftist who want to become the new Blue Hats . The Gulog Archipelago should be mandatory as an audio book on all cell phones , computers and watches .

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join