It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama State Department Official Calls for Criminalization of Burning the Qur’an

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: DBCowboy

Question:

Did you read the Wapo article?

No.

WaPo probably had their slant as well I suppose.

So you didn't even read the source material for context, but rather an anti-Muslim propagandist's interpretation of it?

The Wapo article is the article written by the guy mentioned in your OP and title and referenced in your OP link that (mis)characterizes everything.

Why am I not surprised.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

So you're saying that he isn't advocating for a criminalization of burning the Qur’an?

Quite something.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   

So you're saying that he isn't advocating for a criminalization of burning the Qur’an?

Quite something.

So you're saying you still haven't read the article upon which your entire OP source is premised?

Quite something.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I read the article.

Show me where I'm wrong.

Please.

If he's an advocate for free speech and I got it all wrong, I'll apologize.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Hate speech is protected speech. Incitement of violence is not protected speech.

If hate speech in itself becomes incitement of violence, that should not be protected speech.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I could probably pick a post of yours and interpret it as an incitement to violence.

So you'll ban yourself now of course, amirite?

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I could probably pick a post of yours and interpret it as an incitement to violence.

According to legal standards of incitement of violence?

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Based on interpretation, right?

I read your posts and all I see is hate speech and violence.

So you'll ban yourself for safety, right?

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Based on interpretation, right?

Whose interpretations, yours?

I read your posts and all I see is hate speech and violence.

I'm flattered.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Since you're obviously not a fan of free expression, mind sharing with the rest of the class why?

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Since you're obviously not a fan of free expression, mind sharing with the rest of the class why?

Where did I say I wasn't?

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   

So you’d support the right to burn it.

Yes or no?

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   
In the United States of America, anyone can legally burn any object or symbol as long as it doesn't pose a health or safety hazard. Many people throughout history fought for that right of free expression.

I really don't give a pebbly crap what the Washington Post, Time Magazine, the S.F. Chronicle, or the State Department thinks about it. American citizens have rights guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. Those same citizens don't get to decide how those rights are interpreted, nor do various media sources.

I once watched six people burn an American flag to the side of Market Street in San Francisco. I didn't like it, but I also didn't think that anyone had a right to prevent it.

The collective angst of the nation has far more pressing issues to concern themselves with, imo. We have really, really serious # to worry about. Burn those symbols you want, but PLEASE, lets not riot or hurt other people. While we're at it, why don't we just chill the hell out and stop being so offended.

I can count on my hands those people who are capable of hurting my feelings, and you know what? ALL of them choose not to.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I have given this question some thought and have made my
decision.I would not burn the Koran,to burn it would mean
that you bought it in the first place.If I were given a copy as
a gift,I still wouldn't burn it,I would donate it to Goodwill.I
don't think it's a good idea to burn any books.If there is a book
you don't like,then don't buy it or read it.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   
There is no law about burning the bible, so there should not be a law about burning the Quran. What happened to separation of church and state, it only applies to Christianity in his mind?

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

Burning an American flag can get you in hot water though. Strange though, you just have to say that it touched the ground and you were informed it needs to be burnt if it is defiled and it can justify the burning. Just say you are having a flag burning party to burn flags that someone got dirty.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Well, and of course, mistreating an American flag can get a person's ass kicked, however that's not a legal consenquence; still, it happens. Public burnings of the Stars and Bars is mostly a symbolic burning for the purpose of making a statement and/or pissing somebody off. Inasmuch as my ire flares seeing someone mistreat the flag, I would never dissuade someone from doing so. In fact, I would defend their right to do so.

Then I would get them drunk and mess them up. Kidding, I'm kidding.

ETA: back directly on topic, I think burning of the Quran/Koran should fall under the same arena; it is a religious symbol, and people in the United States of America can treat it however they choose, as long as their treatment doesn't constitute a health or safety risk to others.

edit on 2/11/19 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
It's important we facilitate the loss of our rights in order to accommodate our cultural enemies.

Iconic Democrat Scholars on Rights:

"We came, we saw, rights died."

"We have to take your rights so you can know what was in them."

"If you like your rights you can keep them."

"I did not have sexual relations with those rights."

Link

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Obama is still president? Wow. I did not know that.

I think Obama is the Conservatives ODS, Obama Derangement Syndrome...They Just can't come to grips that he is a private citizen and can express himself via the 1st amendment like everyone else. Obama seems to bring out the REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE reaction in them and living rent free in their heads....

No...
We add Obama into a conversation because he was the last President.

It's called Context.

Now, I know that the left needs to live in "The History of Today" because if anything is actually put into context then the left ends up looking like hypocrites...

However, in the interest of Free Speech we are allowed (still) to talk about whatever we damn well please.

edit on 2-11-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Yes I think the premise of the article is flawed. I do not think the 1st was miscalculated nor do I think the men who wrote it thought "the market" would offer truth for us. They wrote it in a time when people weren't lazy and actually wanted to know the truth and that learning the truth was the responsibility of yourself. Also they were all over the place in that article trying to hit on key things for a liberal audience. If I was a college professor that would get a D at best in my class.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join