It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama State Department Official Calls for Criminalization of Burning the Qur’an

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't disagree with you at all.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I will say that the OP's source misstates the actual facts of the original article.

However, the guy at the Post is advocating for a radical interpretation of the First ... and that, for my money, is BS.
edit on 2-11-2019 by Gryphon66 because: NOted

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

Everything we say/do is monitored 24/7
By the damn phones we carry, and computers we use.
The Russians of the old ussr had nothing compared to the #in nonsense and complete lack of privacy we deal with today.

And yes violent action are encouraged by many imams, in many mosques.
As well as nonsensical bull# by the Christian churches being activists/protagonists.

Somebody wants to get butthurt about a book being burned here in America, than I say you'd better watch your ass when you try to trample my flag, my bill of rights, and my constitution first.

edit on 2-11-2019 by Notoneofyou because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-11-2019 by Notoneofyou because: Cold fingers

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
I will say that the OP's source misstates the actual facts of the original article.

However, the guy at the Post is advocating for a radical interpretation of the First ... and that, for my money, is BS.

Don't see how I misled anyone.

Just cut and pasted and spoke my opinion.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I'm ok with people burning whatever they want, as long as it's not wafting noxious fumes around. Burn a Koran if its paper if you want, but if the cover is vinyl, at least tear the cover off first. That stuff stinks when it burns!

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Don't see how I misled anyone.

Just cut and pasted and spoke my opinion.

I misspoke DC. You didn't mislead anyone.

Your source is misleading, not your post.

I honestly apologize for claiming that you misrepresented anything; you did not.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Richard Stengel is a former editor of Time Magazine and was the State Department’s undersecretary for public diplomacy and public affairs from 2013 to 2016.

So , a nothing trying to be relevant.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Notoneofyou

Everything we say/do is monitored 24/7
By the damn phones we carry, and computers we use.
The Russians of the old ussr had nothing compared to the #in nonsense and complete lack of privacy we deal with today.

And yes violent action are encouraged by many imams, in many mosques.
As well as nonsensical bull# by the Christian churches being activists/protagonists.

Somebody wants to get butthurt about a book being burned here in America, than I say you'd better watch your ass when you try to trample my flag, my bill of rights, and my constitution first.

Can't wait for 5g total monitoring and preventive crime patrols taking guns and people with undesirable thoughts that do not conform to the groupthink of the day.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

The guy worked for Obama. What did you expect ?

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Obama is still president? Wow. I did not know that.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

So you're anti-1st Amendment.

*shrugs*

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   

It's already here. Digital cable with voip interference and ability to scan for devices for "marketing ", smart license plate readers, shopping stores that link with your phone to "enhance" your shopping experience, and facial recognition everywhere for "your safety and security ".

I felt a whole lot safer and secure when my phone only dialed and received calls, my truck was just my truck, and cash was money.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   
So I don't know if he mentions the Bible at all. He spoke of the Koran in the context of foreign diplomats discussing the First Amendment ability to burn religious texts so It seems a bit of a stretch to say he was advocating for Islam as you imply. The entire OP/ED is behind a paywall and I'm too cheap to pony up but:

But his assertion that the First Amendment is an outlier is correct. And as such it is worth defending with our lives. His premise that we should give up our 1st amendment rights to curb hate speech is off base at best. On the other hand it's his right to have that opinion no?

Also the religious right or "Evangelicals" (or any religious extremist for that matter) seem to have quite a double standard when it comes to free speech (its okay for my views but for others not so much) see the hysteria surrounding Andres Serrano "Piss Christ" exhibit from both liberals and conservatives

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

edit on 2-11-2019 by Liquesence because: Misread

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

It is in his 1st Amendment right to advocate the denial of 1st Amendment rights to anyone he doesn't like.

As it is yours or anyone elses.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It is in his 1st Amendment right to advocate the denial of 1st Amendment rights to anyone he doesn't like.

As it is yours or anyone elses.

True just like its your First amendment right to put your particular spin on the headline in order to make this an Islam thing when it was hate speech thing

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Just copy & pasted the title of the article.

And to add, hate speech was included in the article.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Question:

Did you read the Wapo article?

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I think Obama is the Conservatives ODS, Obama Derangement Syndrome...They Just can't come to grips that he is a private citizen and can express himself via the 1st amendment like everyone else. Obama seems to bring out the REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE reaction in them and living rent free in their heads....
edit on 2-11-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Question:

Did you read the Wapo article?

No.

WaPo probably had their slant as well I suppose.

I didn't read Vox, HuffPo, or CNN either.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join