It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama State Department Official Calls for Criminalization of Burning the Qur’an

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
pjmedia.com...

The totalitarian tendencies of the Left become more obvious by the day, as the Washington Post continues to cover itself in glory. Richard Stengel is a former editor of Time Magazine and was the State Department’s undersecretary for public diplomacy and public affairs from 2013 to 2016. In this piece, he says the First Amendment is an “outlier” and calls for “hate speech” laws that would criminalize, among other things, the burning of Qur’ans.

Stengel claims that he is a convert to authoritarianism, a former believer in the freedom of speech: “When I was a journalist, I loved Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.’s assertion that the Constitution and the First Amendment are not just about protecting ‘free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate.’”

3 points to make.

One; He never mentioned the Bible. So I guess that's okay to still burn.

Two; Time to embrace your inner book burner. Seems funny that they are okay with tearing down statues (literally book burning) but are against it when it's something they like.

Three; Without free expression, we are nothing except what we are told to be. This is the growing trend of censoring, banning hate speech. Prohibiting hate speech, only they get to determine what is considered "hate".

Authoritarian indeed.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
pjmedia.com...

The totalitarian tendencies of the Left become more obvious by the day, as the Washington Post continues to cover itself in glory. Richard Stengel is a former editor of Time Magazine and was the State Department’s undersecretary for public diplomacy and public affairs from 2013 to 2016. In this piece, he says the First Amendment is an “outlier” and calls for “hate speech” laws that would criminalize, among other things, the burning of Qur’ans.

Stengel claims that he is a convert to authoritarianism, a former believer in the freedom of speech: “When I was a journalist, I loved Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.’s assertion that the Constitution and the First Amendment are not just about protecting ‘free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate.’”

3 points to make.

One; He never mentioned the Bible. So I guess that's okay to still burn.

Two; Time to embrace your inner book burner. Seems funny that they are okay with tearing down statues (literally book burning) but are against it when it's something they like.

Three; Without free expression, we are nothing except what we are told to be. This is the growing trend of censoring, banning hate speech. Prohibiting hate speech, only they get to determine what is considered "hate".

Authoritarian indeed.

Indeed, this sort of thing comes right out of the commie play books they craft their agenda to. It's sickening, and these people should be getting chastised severely in the media more, but...

+21 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Substitute 'Koran' for 'Old Glory' and watch these same leftists go into fits of rage. Hypocrisy, thy name is liberalism.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

You can burn the flag, you can burn the Qur'an. Burn a whole pile of them along with whatever people feel the need to burn to get their point across.
I always thought it was dumb to burn anything to get a point across. But to each their own.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   

no way this survives a court challenge i mean you can legally burn crosses.........and if that's protected by the first burning any holy books should be covered as well least as far as the government goes but i assume context and area where it was happening would matter

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I remember about ten years ago, some pastor or priest in the USA made worldwide headlines for burning a quran.
At first I thought it was silly, but then I understood why he did it.

Almost immediately, literally within an hour, the spineless jellyfish occupying the White House at the time went on network news channels, apologizing to the muslim world, and also scolding any Americans who didn't denounce it.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Obama State Department Official pretty much says it all, No ? 8 years of Muslim Brotherhood coddling so you have to expect there are a few left overs thus anything negative dealing with anything Muslim is off limits.
edit on 727ndk19 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   
We need a new Censor Tube I mean YouTube series called American Hypocrisy.

One week they will burn the flag - and then collect the comments and results.
The next week they the Quran- and then collect the comments and results.
The following week they burn a bible- and then collect comments and results.

Just keep doing those kinds of things to point out the Hypocrisy,

then match up the comments and see how many people were ok with one or the other etc.

I bet the results would be stunning.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Can't burn the koran but it's ok to burn a flag? Can't have a statue of other religions it's ok to blow them up burn them down but don't burn a koran! BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   

This guy is just an anti-American asshole with a terminal case of Liberal mind rot.
Of course he didn’t mention the Holy Bible, it doesn’t mean squat to him.
But oh wow..the Quran, he jerks off to it every day.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Separation of church and state.

Or all these mosques and churches can start declaring members ,donations, pay taxes, and be held for radical hate speech/inspiration.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
"Obama WHO?"

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It's important we facilitate the loss of our rights in order to accommodate our cultural enemies.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Notoneofyou
Separation of church and state.

Or all these mosques and churches can start declaring members ,donations, pay taxes, and be held for radical hate speech/inspiration.

Radical hate speech? The problem with criminalization of speech is who's in charge determines what hate speech is not allowed. Then we start monitoring speech just like tho old USSR. Only this time they have all the informants right their in your pocket and home through your cell phone and any tv with voice and internet. 1984 is a cake walk compared to what they can monitor today.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   
So basically, they only want separation of church and state, and so long as that church is a Christian. Got it. Those evil Christians whom strap bombs to their chest and terrorize people who disagree with them.... No wait wrong religion. Thise evil Christians whom oppress women and do horrible circumcisions on them.... Nah that don't sound right. Wait here we go... Those evil Christians whom are only cared about and pandered to for political gain. Yep that's it.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
But oh wow..the Quran, he jerks off to it every day.

That's got to be the most fitting reference I've seen - for any book!

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Obama huh...

I'll burn any damn book I please and strike a blow for freedom and self expression. I might even throw a few Rap CD on the fire. Take your urban expression of anger and angst and stick it up your cofefe as far as it will go.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Not sure what the fuss is about anymore. We allow this to happen. Why the hell wouldn't they take advantage of us?
Nothing is going to change until people understand what is really going on, and it is impossible for most to accept.
edit on 2-11-2019 by TheGreatWork because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Did you read the source's source article? (i.e the guy they're talking about?)

Why America Needs a Hate Speech Law

That said, it's a weasel-worded assault on the First Amendment.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Yeah, I read it. Also read several articles this week promoting the movement towards "hate speech" laws.

Go ahead and disagree with me, I then can consider that hate speech and have you ostracized from social media.

This is the trend, this is where we're heading.

Now we can all voice our disgust and objections here safely on ATS, but give it a few years.

We won't be able to mime our disagreements.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join