It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voxon VX1 volumetric display - but how?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I've always been fascinated by 'holographic' technology, and while I don't see a true hologram in my lifetime, even something fundamentally similar would be awesome.. And I just found a video on a new tech being developed and sold that -

n technical terms, Voxon’s technology is a volumetric display. At its core is an ultra high-speed digital light engine and a highly optimized volume rendering engine. This unique combination of hardware and software is capable of projecting over half a billion points of light every second into physical volumetric space.

Geometry that is being rendered is sliced up into hundreds of digital horizontal cross sections before being projected synchronously onto a specially designed high speed reciprocating screen. As the photons of light hit the screen, they are diffused and reform a physical cross sectional image at precisely the right place in physical space. Through persistence of vision, the human eye blends hundreds of layers together, and the result is a true three-dimensional (3D) volumetric holographic representation of data that can be viewed in the same way as one would view a real object, from any angle, and without special effects, goggles or glasses.

But I am having a hard time understanding how this works. What is the 'screen'? It cannot be a typical creen as you'd expect, or then how can the image be seen from any angle? And just what is it... In the video they say the dome is simply to prevent people touching the screen, and it not required for the image to be displayed, but I cannot think how this thing works.. Must be saturday..

Can anyone shed light (no pun intended) on this? I did try to LMGTFY for myself, but came up empty handed..

If this is scalable to a reasonably decent size in future configurations, then this is something I believe will be seen as common technology in the near future. Face time would actually be worthy of the name, lol.

I mean, they're already selling these, but.. at 9k a pop, it won't be in the living room any time soon. Just wish I knew what I was even looking at.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop
In the video they say it is a fast rotating projector. If you watch the video you posted they explain it around minute 1:30.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oleandra88
a reply to: gallop
In the video they say it is a fast rotating projector. If you watch the video you posted they explain it around minute 1:30.

But that's the thing, I cannot imagine any physical thing moving that fast, without knowing it's doing so. Especially something physical moving at speeds that render it unseeable, and only the light projected onto it, visible.

the projector is what sends the light, but the screen?

And for it to be moving so fast, but not with enough force to hurt someone touching it, as was also mentioned?

ps.. lol, I'm sure there are a lot of people who do post videos without watching them, but I did watch it, and then tried to look up what the mechanism of it was, to no avail...

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop
the projector is what sends the light, but the screen?
And for it to be moving so fast, but not with enough force to hurt someone touching it, as was also mentioned?

It indeed looks like it's a fast rotating screen or transparent foil of some sort that's spinning or moving at a rate that it becomes invisible to the naked eye.

And while harmless if displayed without a protective cover, I could imagine that it's so sensitive that the screen itself may be damaged if touched while rotating that fast.

Nice idea though, some more info available here.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The video shows a couple different types of 3d displays.
The VOX is projecting a 2D scene (4000 fps) onto a translucent membrane that is moving up and down the verticle axes really fast.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   

A drive system for a projection screen in a swept surface volumetric three dimensional (3D) display is disclosed where the drive system causes the projection screen to reciprocate through an excursion distance at a screen reciprocating frequency relative to a projection system. The drive system includes an actuator arrangement for generating an input reciprocating force substantially at the screen reciprocating frequency through an input excursion distance and a support structure for the projection screen. The support structure further includes a resonant mounting arrangement for the projection screen where the resonant mounting arrangement is operably connected to the actuator arrangement and configured to allow the projection screen to reciprocate through the excursion distance. In addition, the resonant mounting arrangement is configured to have a resonant frequency substantially equivalent to the screen reciprocating frequency on actuation of the actuator arrangement. A gaming console incorporating a swept surface volumetric 3D display based on the drive system is also disclosed.

Patent Filing

That's as close to "how" as I can find.

~Namaste

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Very cool what this small company has achieved.

I agree, it's difficult to imagine how it works. First thought was a thin flat plastic half-disc shape rotating about a central axis. But they say the glass cover is merely to protect the screen, so the dome is not evacuated of air. Surely spinning this fast the screen would encounter much air resistance. It would have to be strong to withstand this and would be pushing out quite a breeze.

The patent suggests a variety of possible suitable materials for the screen and:

...the fabric may be air permeable and/or perforated to reduce air resistance that arises as a result of the moving projection screen

edit on 2-11-2019 by EvilAxis because: (no reason given)

join