It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its a new America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: sprockets2000

Uniting the country is no longer possible because the "sides" don't want the same America.

The only alternative now is for one side to surrender.

I welcome your surrender.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I've said this before, but I guess it needs repeating...

What would be really cool is if one side or the other stood up and said enough is enough and put a stop to the partisan B.S. instead of trying to one-up the other's petulant stupidity.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Interesting view. It is probably as good of a barometer as the polls.

I'm not a fan of the show, but it is probably a reasonable cross section of the general public.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: sooth
I've said this before, but I guess it needs repeating...

What would be really cool is if one side or the other stood up and said enough is enough and put a stop to the partisan B.S. instead of trying to one-up the other's petulant stupidity.

While folks let the media dictate how they should feel day to day that won't happen, we have more in common with each other than the media will ever disclose.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 06:51 AM
link   

My husband and I had a similar discussion just the other day about that.

I think our politicians know that neither side will agree on anything ever again except to keep passing budgets in order to keep operations going into go nowhere legislation and never ending investigations. I think the corruption is too deep to fix from the inside. I'm not even convinced that a number of convictions and prison time would slow this train wreck down any longer.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

I think our politicians know that neither side will agree on anything ever again except to keep passing budgets in order to keep operations going into go nowhere legislation and never ending investigations. I think the corruption is too deep to fix from the inside. I'm not even convinced that a number of convictions and prison time would slow this train wreck down any longer.

Well, a lot of what you descibed is "gridlock", which is nothing new in government beurocrocy.

What has really polarized ppl, IMO, is the Obama administrations weaponization of governmental agencies against certain segments of the population, and opposition.

It started with the IRS, Tea Party retaliation, and unconstitutional executive orders.

What really crossed the line was allowing the FBI, Justice Dept, and Intel agencies to attempt a coup against, first a political opponent, then duly elected POTUS.

Even ppl that do not like Trump should be appalled and outraged at the assault on our republic.

I understand that ppl want to get "their way", but at what cost? That's not a preverbial slippery slope. That a 1000ft drop off a sheer cliff.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

All true. My only addition would be to say that we're past gridlock because no one has any solutions. After debating what will work regarding illegal immigration and health care for several decades, we're all out of agreed solutions and headed nowhere.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   

a reply to: Mach2

All true. My only addition would be to say that we're past gridlock because no one has any solutions. After debating what will work regarding illegal immigration and health care for several decades, we're all out of agreed solutions and headed nowhere.

Some issues, such as immigration, could easily be "solved" with, what I see as, common sense compromise. Unfortunately, prior administrations have kicked the can down the road for fear of alienating a small percentage of the population, and now the left feels any compromise equals a Trump win.

That was proven early on, when he offered a blanket path to citizenship to the "dreamers", in exchange for future border security.

There are other issues, such as healthcare, where compromise is inherently worse than either extreme course. I don't beleive it's a good idea to have government run healthcare with private, for profit insurance structure. The two systems are not compatible for the US.
edit on 1122019 by Mach2 because: Sp

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

Well, a lot of what you descibed is "gridlock", which is nothing new in government beurocrocy.

What has really polarized ppl, IMO, is the Obama administrations weaponization of governmental agencies against certain segments of the population, and opposition.

It started with the IRS, Tea Party retaliation, and unconstitutional executive orders.

What really crossed the line was allowing the FBI, Justice Dept, and Intel agencies to attempt a coup against, first a political opponent, then duly elected POTUS.

Even ppl that do not like Trump should be appalled and outraged at the assault on our republic.

I understand that ppl want to get "their way", but at what cost? That's not a preverbial slippery slope. That a 1000ft drop off a sheer cliff.

There is much wisdom in what you said.

I do think we're starting to see the rebellion from the Right in small ways, let's hope it's not too late for that to get big enough to stop the bleeding.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten

originally posted by: Mach2

There is much wisdom in what you said.

I do think we're starting to see the rebellion from the Right in small ways, let's hope it's not too late for that to get big enough to stop the bleeding.

Thank you.

I do have a question though.

Is belief in the Contitution now considered a "right wing" view?

I mean I have some opinions that are conservative, but I also have Centrist, and Libertarian views, depending of course on the specific issue, but I've never doubted the widom of the document, other than the reference to a slaves value, which I have to attribute to the era, itself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join