It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is China going to do to Hong Kong?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
www.bbc.com...

Analysts think this could mean the central government introducing national security laws which could be imposed on Hong Kong from Beijing but - again - who knows?

I think they have reached a crux. Protests can only go on so long.

I've read that things are going to change very soon. Ominous warning from China are being heard.
Everything from "patriotic education" to changing how national security is enforced, God only knows what that means.
Any predictions here? China says it will fight separatism full force.

It appears China has show extreme restraint up to this point (and I really do believe that), but I think we are going to see that change.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Playing devils advocate here, China ceded ownership to England during the opium wars, for 100 years from 1898 to 1998. In the mean time China goes communist, in 98 they changed the rules again. If I was China I'd be peedoff too.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
A dictatorship is always a criminal government IMO.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

Playing devils advocate here, China ceded ownership to England during the opium wars, for 100 years from 1898 to 1998. In the mean time China goes communist, in 98 they changed the rules again. If I was China I'd be peedoff too.

Shhh.....
Most folks do not know that part , as it is history .
So , never bring history and facts into a "Don Quixote" style debate.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

Yea, England certainly sold the soul of Hong Kong to China. But how do you feel about how China as a government treats those who don't say 2+2=5?

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   
If China cracks down hard on Hong Kong, will there be a mass exodus from Hong Kong?

Where will those people go?

Who will accept those refugees?

How will the world react to China attempting to stop and/or recapture the refugees?

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

A lot of business people will flee. Most already have.

China wants the authoritarian Capitalist economy to be able to enforce their rules on Hong Kongs global networks. There is a lot of capital in Hong Kong, it's not just about the land or the city itself, it's the business it conducts to the world.

If this was not even 50 years a go that place would have been taken over by now.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Who will accept those refugees? How will the world react to China attempting to stop and/or recapture the refugees?

We are going to see real soon.

Will America accept them?

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
If China cracks down hard on Hong Kong, will there be a mass exodus from Hong Kong?

Where will those people go?

Who will accept those refugees?

How will the world react to China attempting to stop and/or recapture the refugees?

If they want freedom and liberty? Welcome to America! Hell, let's set up a foreign exchange program between the USA and China, where we permanently exchange citizens of Hong Kong who want Freedom for citizens of the USA who hate Capitalism!

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

If they want freedom and liberty? Welcome to America! Hell, let's set up a foreign exchange program between the USA and China, where we permanently exchange citizens of Hong Kong who want Freedom for citizens of the USA who hate Capitalism!

Yes, please. That would be amazing.

You like communism so much? We will gladly trade you.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

As an American (One from the United States), I would gladly accept whatever refugees come from Hong Kong, even with priority over the illegals just streaming in willy-nilly undocumented, mostly from the 'south'.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963
England didn't sell HK soul when it gave it up.
Britain HAD to give it up as the treaty to hold HK for a hundred years was up. Britain told the Chinese and negotiated a partial treaty not to interfere with HK as it was and still is a powerhouse for China itself.
Now China doesn't like not having full power over HK so they are flexing their muscles. They can't (or don't want to) let HK carry on it's business, they want a share of the riches. They can't understand that the riches and power comes solely from HK NOT having ties to mainland Chinese influence.
They are going to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I think the plan is controlled movement of power from Hong Kong and the protest is only speeding the process since it crashes the Hong Kong economy.

Hong Kong location makes it useful for China but only if it is loyal to China.

The more CIA and western NGO mess around with Hong Kong the more China can push the narrative that the problem is foreign interference and create a US vs them (troublemakers) narration that makes the most Chinese mistrusting of Hong Kong population.

The Hong Kong youth is screwed. They live in a place that is losing it's importance and therefore their prospects in life is worse than their parents. China will soft push for relocation of companies and power away from Hong Kong making the place as unimportant as possible.

And if the Hong Kong protesters leave for western countries it will be a big win for China since then they can send in their own citizens that are 100% mainland loyal to live their instead.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

The more CIA and western NGO mess around with Hong Kong the more China can push the narrative that the problem is foreign interference and create a US vs them (troublemakers) narration that makes the most Chinese mistrusting of Hong Kong population.

But the truth is Western gov and Western NGOs are indeed the ones who had being pushing this whole protest movement even as far using Trump's voter base frog the meme.

If anything the mistake it was a mistake for the Hong Kong protestors to wave both the British and American flags that kinda of exposed their whole movement.

Let's not forget Syria's regime change failed, Libya is a mess.
They wanted to throw in another one.

Its really not a surprise that the NGOs used a young very young teenager as a leader for the protest movement.
edit on 1-11-2019 by ChefFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 05:34 AM
link   
China knows the eyes of the world are on them, so a massacre al la Tiananmen Square won’t happen.

Their policy is to contain and tighten the screws at their leisure. We should expect an acceleration of the repression of freedoms, press controls and the imposition of direct control from the Chinese dictatorship. Doubtless many hundreds of people involved in the pro-democracy movement will end up disappearing.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
China knows the eyes of the world are on them, so a massacre al la Tiananmen Square won’t happen.

Their policy is to contain and tighten the screws at their leisure. We should expect an acceleration of the repression of freedoms, press controls and the imposition of direct control from the Chinese dictatorship. Doubtless many hundreds of people involved in the pro-democracy movement will end up disappearing.

I think you are wrong. The massacre will be "economic" by stealing the peoples money. And no one can escape.
My friend lives there with his Chinese wife and currently he feels no need to pack with his wife and move to the States. Of course, things can change.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

The external world watching means nothing. If it was useful for China they would play hardball. But by not playing hardball they are dividing the opposition from the common people living in Hong Kong.

ChefFox nailed it with the flag comment.

If anything the mistake it was a mistake for the Hong Kong protestors to wave both the British and American flags that kinda of exposed their whole movement.

The Chinese government want the technical Brain drain from Hong Kong to end up in mainland China to increase Chinese development. The Chinese government probably would love the NGO/protesters to flee to US.

CIA/Saudi Arabia tried/tries to use the Uyghur Muslims as divide and conquer opposition against the government in Xinjiang and The Chinese is not allowing it by forceful jailing and "reeducation".

It does not matter how much the western media and NGO cry about individual freedom. The Chinese do not fall for the "all cultures are the same" and allow Muslim dualistic fascism (Sunni side) to allow to manifest into full on Wahhabi.

top topics

join