It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The National Anthem triggers some Americans.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: BomSquad
a reply to: Boadicea

I do not disagree at all. I think America the Beautiful would be a wonderful national anthem.

I think the thing many people forget about the SSB, is that in its essence, it is about America enduring and surviving while being attacked. It is about perseverance while being persecuted. It was written by someone watching an American fort being attacked mercilessly throughout the night and when dawn broke, the fort had held. The flag was still flying proudly above the fort in defiance of its attackers. It is not about war so much as overcoming overwhelming adversity and continuing on, surviving.

You expressed that very well, and I don't for a minute discount those virtues!!! Without the courage and strength of convictions to fight for enemies, we could not -- and therefore would not -- have been able to grow and expand and achieve so much more.

I guess in the grand scheme of things, I feel like the battles we've fought were necessary to fulfill our ideals and aspirations, but not representative of our ideals and aspirations themselves. The SSB represents where we've been, as opposed to who and what we aspire to be. I hope that makes sense.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

America is about freedom!!!

Not enough freedom to display a black pumpkin though.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I feel like the battles we've fought were necessary to fulfill our ideals and aspirations

Elaborate? I mean yes, killing the Indians was "neccessary" to establish ourselves, but what else?

Wait, we came, then we defended ourselves from them. DOh!

edit on 1-11-2019 by TheGreatWork because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'm English, but seeing Lady Gaga singing the US national anthem at the 2016 Superbowl was one of the most moving things that I have ever witnessed.

"The land of the free and the home of the brave"

Gets me every time, right there.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: maxey
I'm English, but seeing Lady Gaga singing the US national anthem at the 2016 Superbowl was one of the most moving things that I have ever witnessed.

"The land of the free and the home of the brave"

Gets me every time, right there.

EXACTLY!!!!!!
That is what it is designed to do!

When you are in that emotional state, and then told "these people over here want to hurt you" Emotion......
edit on 1-11-2019 by TheGreatWork because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheGreatWork

I feel like the battles we've fought were necessary to fulfill our ideals and aspirations

Elaborate? I mean yes, killing the Indians was "neccessary" to establish ourselves, but what else?

Just to clarify the context of that comment, it was in regards to the War of 1812 with the British -- NOT the conflicts/battles/wars with the Native Americans already here.

However, to address those conflicts/battles/wars with the Native Americans, people do what they know and when they know better, they do better. For the times and the morals of those times, much of what we consider unconscionable today was the standard at the time. This doesn't make it right, but the beauty of our nation -- its spirit -- is that we can and do grow from our mistakes. Both big and small.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   

much of what we consider unconscionable today was the standard at the time. This doesn't make it right, but the beauty of our nation -- its spirit -- is that we can and do grow from our mistakes. Both big and small.

Seems it is still standard today, if not ramped up full speed.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I don't care people are pissed. I care that the Anthem is not played to cater to those people.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Lol... and my bet would be that quite a few world war two vets would have not appreciated how he massacred the national anthem.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
welp, they can go to another country and listen to their anthem.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I'm triggered by people triggered by that

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

What the hell is going on in our country?

The alt-left thinks the anthem is un-American and the alt-right thinks the Constitution is unconstitutional.

What the hell!

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGreatWork

We get it, you hate nationalism. I guess it's a good thing you are in a country that will accept that type of attitude, and protects you from governmental retribution for your stance.

That same country whose anthem you are railing against here.

Do you feel any sort of thankfulness that you have not been jailed for your views here?

IMO, you should.

edit on 11/1/2019 by Krakatoa because: fixed spelling errors

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
People in general are triggered by the stupidest things these days. Just ignore them or shame them into submission, they need to shut up and get over themselves.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   
TRAITORS!!!!

All of them!!

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   

A bit further down:

The paper admits that television executives haven’t heard many complaints and feedback has been “overwhelmingly positive,” but that tidbit is buried roughly 1,400 words into the story.

Reveals that its the paper itself (The NYT) and that none of the 350 stations playing the National Anthem have received a single complaint.

To clarify your headline: The National Anthem Triggers Some Americans Who Literally Make Their Living Writing Bull# Propaganda Stories for the New York Times.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

It is their right as Americans to have whatever opinion they like, and my right to play it through my speakers at high volume while pointing and laughing at them - and boycotting the businesses while publicly calling them out - should I found out who these alleged "some people" are.

I mean, I'm sure there's a few, but I doubt it is enough people for anyone to rightly pay it any mind. Seems like media spreading seeds of discontent.

edit on 11/2/2019 by dogstar23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I'm triggered by people triggered by that

Funny on a superficial level, but your statement caused me a very sad vision.

If this kind of BS continues, actual triggers may be pulled, and those loony toon, anti American, Constitution hating communists will know the true meaning of "being triggered"

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

It is their right as Americans to have whatever opinion they like, and my right to play it through my speakers at high volume while pointing and laughing at them - and boycotting the businesses while publicly calling them out - should I found out who these alleged "some people" are.

I mean, I'm sure there's a few, but I doubt it is enough people for anyone to rightly pay it any mind. Seems like media spreading seeds of discontent.

The NFL no longer plays the Anthem because of all the people saying it was racist and a symbol of oppression.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Wow, this is quite extreme.

“Might hear political overtones”

"The decision to revive the anthem tradition comes at a time when overt allegiance to ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ has become one of the lines that separate blue and red America,”

And here I was thinking that a national anthem was supposed to be inclusive of everyone regardless of occupation, race, gender, economic standing, political leanings, etc.

Dictionary.com:

nationalism [ nash-uh-nl-iz-uh m, nash-nuh-liz- ]

1. spirit or aspirations common to the whole of a nation.

2. devotion and loyalty to one's own country; patriotism.

3. excessive patriotism; chauvinism.

4. the desire for national advancement or political independence.

5. the policy or doctrine of asserting the interests of one's own nation viewed as separate from the interests of other nations or the common interests of all nations.

6. an idiom or trait peculiar to a nation.

With the exception of nr. 3 on the list above, it seems this word is quite benign, right? Well, that's not how it is in practice nowadays. If you say you're a nationalist today you're immediately put in the right-wing ideological Nazi cesspool. Screw the notion of being proud of your country and singing its anthem.

Why not remove all governments and erase all borders in the world and simply live in Utopia? After all, who needs affiliation? We're all the same regardless of where in the world we reside.

/sarcasm off

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join