It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The National Anthem triggers some Americans.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

The New York Times poo-pooed the long-standing tradition of television stations airing the “The Star-Spangled Banner” because some night owl viewers could be offended by the “politically charged” national anthem.

It doesn't happen often, but in this instance, I am gobsmacked, and have no idea what to say. Maybe someone else can make sense of this.

+34 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
www.foxnews.com...

The New York Times poo-pooed the long-standing tradition of television stations airing the “The Star-Spangled Banner” because some night owl viewers could be offended by the “politically charged” national anthem.

It doesn't happen often, but in this instance, I am gobsmacked, and have no idea what to say. Maybe someone else can make sense of this.

It’s time for these anti-American assholes to get the F out of our country.

+27 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Fifty years ago one of the worlds most famous music festivals took place in New York State.
The festival was a collection of anti establishment performers and fans from all over the country.

At the end of that festival a young black man by the name of Jimi hendrix played a song on his guitar.

That song was the star spangled banner..

The moral or the story is stop getting upset with a song that represents a hell of a lot more good than it does bad.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It is usually the little heard third verse of the anthem that sets people off. I was "educated" by someone once about this fact, and I will admit my ignorance of the contents of any verse besides the first one...

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

I believe this was a reference to the British hiring mercenaries and freeing any runaway slaves that joined their cause during the War of 1812, though I could be mistaken.
edit on 1-11-2019 by BomSquad because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
WT litteral F is wrong with ppl?

I read the article but, unless I missed it, it didn't say what, specifically, was the problem with the Star Spangled Banner.

I can't, for the life of me, possibly imagine what would be offensive.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

Lyrics

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

I read the article but, unless I missed it, it didn't say what, specifically, was the problem with the Star Spangled Banner.

I can't, for the life of me, possibly imagine what would be offensive.

I guess we’ll have to wait until some of the morally superior Leftists come in to answer that for us.
My fingers will be poised to type a blistering reply when they do.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

Yup, and if it wasn't for that slavery may have been abolished much sooner. It was a real hard sell to the public that dealt with the uprisings and slaughters still fresh on their minds.

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
If you're offended by the national anthem being broadcast on TV and don't have the sense to change the channel, you just might be a terrorist and need to gtfo.

There I said it. Flame away.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Speaking of triggers, interestingly enough, despite the same amount of ammunition being fired, more people died during the Battle Of Los Angeles in 1942 (5) than during the Siege Of Fort McHenry in 1812(0).

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

How much time have ya got ?

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It's almost uncanny the similarities all this has the raise of communism in China. From the destruction of American traditions and values to the destruction of monuments. These kids protesting climate change are like the new Red Guard.

If even your countries national anthem offends you I highly suggest finding another country to live in.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I think you all aught to change your anthem to "God Save The Queen". Rock on America you don't have a monopoly of nut-jobs and weirdos. Er, happy Halloween.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

With so many people being offended by so many things, we will remain divided as a Nation. Time for this crap to stop.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Sadly very few caught it because they had left beforehand.

Prince had a song titled America that many mistake as a protest song against America. More of statement on “Americans” than the country itself.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Some people sang something.

But seriously, these people need to be throat-punched.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   

The National Anthem should not be televised.

So last night Thursday night football was on. My wife was mad because she missed the National Anthem again she said she feels like she hasn't heard it once all year. My wife is a first generation immigrant, moved here at 30, just became a citizen last year. I told her she hasn't missed it, they don't play it any more. She thought that was crazy and asked why. I said because it is now considered racist and offensive to people. She was pissed, she can't understand how anyone living in American can be offended by it.

Then this morning I saw that story you posted, such a crazy world we live in.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
I think you all aught to change your anthem to "God Save The Queen". Rock on America you don't have a monopoly of nut-jobs and weirdos. Er, happy Halloween.

Anything with God in it needs to be removed, so that is a no-go.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I feel offended by most of today's music. Ban all that crap and people listening it will recover their brain functions.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
At some point one had to acknowledge that the phrase 'the enemy lives from within' is not hyperbole.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join