It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First operational F35A delivered to the Netherlands

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

at least it wast in the hanger when it had a foam accent. halon foam is no joke

but back on topic i wonder why they dint cut the foam spray as soon as they noticed it, it isnt hard to cut the stream.

i wonder if the fire crew in the truck is going to help the ground crew clean the mess up

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: EartOccupant
But i'm very curious about some long term experience. It will be hard to "beat" the F16 track record in operational long term reliability and maintenance.

They'll get there. Their current mission capable rate isn't great, but that's a combination of things. Once they can get a spares stockpile up, and more new aircraft flying they'll see the mission capable rate go up.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I agree and hope.

My main concern is being dependent on another country. But we can not blame this beautiful plane for that

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
How many B’s do you think the RAF need to buy for the carriers before they decide to convert the rest of the order to A’s Zaph..?? a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Firetruck 1 : "Damn... it's the foam! Cut it !!
Firetruck 2: " No, it's on TV , don't cut it "
Deep voice from somewhere on the base: "Idiots"

Fun fact nr2: The commentator is trying to save the moment when the foaming starts.
He is telling in Dutch roughly translated:

"That normal folks, they want to present a clean plane, it's like a new car being delivered ..etc...etc..
and then he wonders why they did not wash the foam away with water. "

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

Thanks. I appreciate the honest reply. A follow-up question to your "defend our airspace" comment.

I understand that, and believe national requirements should be more important than the requirements of other countries.

But -- given that the Netherlands is "surrounded" by friendly countries, defense of national airspace doesn't sound like a likely mission.

Kind of makes me think there may be some people high in the Netherlands armed forces / government who still have a firm grasp on reality (along the lines of your "hijacked" comment).

Hopefully, the new aircraft will work out well for your country.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: EartOccupant
- Can the US deactivate them with a flip op the switch?

No. They're frequently built with equipment from the nation buying them, such as Israel putting their own EW and other systems into their F-35s.

- Do you want the same capabilities as you neighbor?

If you're allies, then yes. One of the big things recently with Europe is tanker, and weapons support. If you have the same weapons as your allies, then if you run low, your allies can send you more.

- Where to get your spare parts after a foam bath..

Parts stockpiles, or manufacturer.
edit on 11/1/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/1/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

I hope i understand your question well.

Sure there are a lot on interests pulling strings with these kind of decisions.

It is not only NATO, it is also commercial, we in the Netherlands actually fabricate some parts of the F35; Wing parts, electronics cabling, aircraft carrier stop hooks ; ) among some other small things.
Money talks!

Then there is the EU, nothing official, but to me it would be interesting to see if one makes a list of recent defense buying decisions of all EU countries.. to see if you get a system. Note: Officially there is no EU army... but i have my doubts.

The other missions.. well, we "help" in Afghanistan, Middle East... and probably some other "Missions" .
That is of course in the name of humanity and not in the name of Royal Dutch Shell

The thing is.. I have no real answer. For me, everything you need is for National defense, all the other Missions are politics. And unfortunately it are mostly the politicians, or their masters who make these decisions.

Before WWII our government had the idea as well, as a neutral country we did not need an real army.

It took the Germans 4 days.

Hello Friendly neighbor !

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Silentvulcan

I don't know if they will convert them.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Hello Friendly neighbor !

Thanks again; it is fascinating to hear the "local view" of these things.

Without pointing any fingers, it seems to me that the UK, the USA, and the EU are going in three different directions at the moment. In the Netherlands, you people are in the middle of two of those powers. Fishing rights, air and sea corridors, financial pressures ... yes, staying alert is IMO a good idea for the Dutch.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I’ve ready somewhere that the first 48 will be B’s...after that an appropriate decision will be made...A’s will be cheaper with a longer range...just depends on which branch of the forces can shout loudest I suppose..😬a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

In theory I agree with you answers.

My ATS mind has some question marks, nothing more.. maybe a bit less.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

That's why I loved AFFF. I had to inspect and clean a helicopter that got too close to an aircraft that was on fire. They used protein foam to put it out. Want to talk about a crappy smelly job.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Silentvulcan

They've gone back and forth a lot on converting between all three models. Personally, I think a mix of A and B models would be a good force structure.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Oh sweet Jesus. I hope you at least had some kind of mask.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

tnx!

Indeed, these are confusing, interesting times we live in.

I think for a small country like the Netherlands, we would be best of, being independent.

We size-wise..and numbers wise would eventually drown in the EU.

It took us 80 years to defeat the Spanish... Now we seem to throw it all away....

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Some pics of the Dutch Birds in California:

edit on 1-11-2019 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Unfortunatly we did not buy any B's.

I think it's wise to have a few B's parked in the woods .

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
At least for now we can work together.

Dutch Bird getting some foreign food while being watched by his grandpa ; )

edit on 1-11-2019 by EartOccupant because: time distortion

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I have way too many pictures I've taken to go through in a day, but I'm certain I've caught more than one at Luke in Arizona.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join